RG3550MZ, EZ, Super Wizard Prestige necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

RG3550MZ, EZ, Super Wizard Prestige necks

Just recieved my RG3550MZ last Friday via UPS and thought I post my impressions.

Super Wizard Prestige Neck:

Feels thinner (because it is) than Wizard II and any other Ibby necks.
Love the Maple neck and fretboard. Very Smooth. All my previous guitars have rosewood fretboard and I was nervous about a maple fretboard. Especially when I tried the Strats with maple fretboard and they all feel "weird." This one feels good and I think if all maple fretboards are like this I'd prefer it over rosewood.

Edge Zero:

So far it had stayed in tune. But I haven't really beat up on it with hard dives. Time will tell how easy it is to maintain. I'm kinda digging the looks on the EZ more than the EP. This is my first whammy bar guitar, so it's a new toy. Kinda the same feeling you get when you first drive a manual tranny car.

Pickups:

The Air Norton is pretty nice, works for me. Tight low-ends, but not too boomy. I can get a decent jazz tone from them. True Velvet got just enough twang and sound pleasant to my ear when sending it through auto-wah. Tone Zone - these babies are hot. For a bridge pu, it does it job fairly well. Overall, they all give very good sound definition from all frequency. And of course it depends on the amp you send it to also.

Craftmanship and setup:

Overall, the quality of work is exceptionally good. The one complaint I have is the neck pickup. It was slanted and not parrallel with the strings and I had to do some work on it. The action was a tad bit higher than I am used to but that can be changed.

I'll try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes. I'm not sure it's worth $1500 US yet, but I've played $2000 Les Pauls/SGs and Strats that are way worst than this. The good thing about this guitar is that I feel comfortable playing it and I can't wait to get home from work to jam on it.

EDIT:

I just sent this baby through a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 and holy crap, this is a keeper.

Last edited by nos024; 06-30-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Re: RG3550MZ, EZ, Super Wizard Prestige necks

I just tried an RG3550MZ at GC and the neck was awesome. I loved the guitar, even the orange color! I never thought I would consider buying an orange guitar, but if there had been $1500 in my wallet I might have bought it then and there. This might be my next guitar, but I need to see a white one first to decide whether I would prefer it over the orange. (Note I also played a Music Man JPX 6. Also a show stopper, but for $2,500 it should be.)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

I really liked the roadstar orange, but I wished they had a matching headstock to go with the other colors. I wouldve got the white one if they had it in stock, but black do just fine for me also.

The guitar plays awesome and sounds great, but I'm kinda nervous about the Basswood body. It seems like the neck is built like a truck but the body seem kinda vulnerable to dents. This does make it a very light and comfortable guitar to play, standing up or sitting down.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos024 View Post
This is my first whammy bar guitar, so it's a new toy. Kinda the same feeling you get when you first drive a manual tranny car.
Then what if your first car has a manual transmission?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM

I just purchased the Roadster Orange model. I just love the maple fretboard I've been playing just rosewood for a while it's a nice change.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos024 View Post
Just recieved my RG3550MZ last Friday via UPS and thought I post my impressions.

Super Wizard Prestige Neck:

Feels thinner (because it is) than Wizard II and any other Ibby necks.
Love the Maple neck and fretboard. Very Smooth. All my previous guitars have rosewood fretboard and I was nervous about a maple fretboard. Especially when I tried the Strats with maple fretboard and they all feel "weird." This one feels good and I think if all maple fretboards are like this I'd prefer it over rosewood.
Congrats on your new RG! I have a RG 2550Z - very similar - and it is a very nice guitar but I found the neck too wide - I believe all the new RG prestige necks are 58mm wide at the last fret which I find too wide.

Did it take you time to get used to the wide neck or did you like it right away?

Tags
rg3550mz super wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode