RG370 Pickups question-need advice badly - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

RG370 Pickups question-need advice badly

I've got a RG370GHBLS, made in Japan, maple body and neck, Bridge TRS101 (Froyd Rose type). The positioning of the pickups is H-S-H.

I want to change the stock pickups with new ones to achieve the best possible blues sound (clean and overdrive). Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas?

I'm counting on the wealth of expertise I see here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 AM

Re: RG370 Pickups question-need advice badly

Dimarzio Bluesbuckers with a Blue Velvet in the middle?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:07 AM

http://dimarzio.com/ than choose the pickup picker
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:08 AM

Or go to Seymour Duncan's Tone Wizard.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:33 PM

That's interesting, I've never heard of that model before. Generally the RG3xx series guitars are made in Korea. Anyway, if you're looking for the best blues sound as possible then I would suggest the Dimarzio Air Norton for the neck position and the Blue Velvet for the middle position. For the bridge position, I would really need more information about what you want to do in that position and how much power you're looking to have. A Tone Zone would sound good but maybe not the best for blues. The Air Zone would probably be better unless you're looking for a really thick-sounding pickup (in which case the TZ would be better). I've never tried the Bluesbucker before so I can't comment on it but that might be a good place to start.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

lyconxero, I appreciate your advice so much.

In general I'm looking for a distinct bright sound of the low strings with a strong punch and warm thick sound of the high strings also with a strong punch. I find the Stevie Ray Vaughn sound the ultimate blues sound there is. I want to come as close as possible to that with the type of guitar I have.

I know this is what I'm aiming for but I am not sure exactly what I would need for the bridge position. I want a somewhat powerful sound on one hand but I don't want lose the distinctiveness of the sound, I don't want it fat and blurred. Stevie Ray Vaughn manages to get that, both with a clean guitar and with an overdrive.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 AM

"In general I'm looking for a distinct bright sound of the low strings with a strong punch and warm thick sound of the high strings also with a strong punch. I find the Stevie Ray Vaughn sound the ultimate blues sound there is. I want to come as close as possible to that with the type of guitar I have. "

Mmmmmmm - bit of an obvious issue there - SRV played either strats, or strats with the old Danelectro Lipstick pickups (I know, I know, he also had a 335.... ) so if your beast has a scratchplate, you could consider getting a custom scratchplate made up with three Fender Texas Specials on it, or three Danelectro Lipsticks (apparently the newies are fantastic) - string her up with 14 - 60s and play through a blackface Fender, or a Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue and you'll start getting closer!

Tags
air norton , bridge position , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , high strings , low strings , neck position , seymour duncan , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode