RG370DXL Incomprehensibly POOR Sustain - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

RG370DXL Incomprehensibly POOR Sustain

Hi, I know I didn't buy a $2000 Les Paul, but my $400 left handed RG370DXL has practically unplayable string decay on the G, B and mostly the upper registers and especially the high E string- no sustain. Lower strings are not too bad. I owned an 1987 American Kramer Pacer Deluxe with an original Floyd Rose Tremolo since 1987 and sold it last year as I fell in ecstatic love with the wizard neck on the RG. My Kramer had lame sustain also. I would buy a hard tail if i can get an Ibanez with a wizard neck in the same price range as my RG370DXL if it gives better sustain, but I don't see a lefty like that. I am wondering if its simply inherent for floating trems (especially this cheap one) to kill string sustain. What is reasonable sustain? So, really, I am asking what to do. Can I improve this guitar's sustain with something like better or different strings (I'm using ernie ball super slinky) better pickups, better tremolo or dial in my Pod xt live with the right compressor- do the upper priced RG models suffer similar inherent sustain problems- do i need to just buy a $$ better RG- did I get a lemon off of E-Bay? I have heard for years to use thicker strings, but I experimented with strings with my Kramer for years with no real difference in sustain. Any dialogue on this topic is wholly appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM

Re: RG370DXL Incomprehensibly POOR Sustain

Are both the truss rod and action set-up properly? Some guitars work better with lots of relief, others with none.

As an example my S5470 (same neck profiles as the RG series, and floating trem too) had dreadful sustain, especially on the G, B and e strings if I set even the slightest amount of relief in the neck - even when I raised the action to compensate - the lack of sustain was alarming. Yet now I run a really straight neck setup I can get truly beautiful sustain from it, no matter how low the action, using .008 or .009 strings.

Last edited by Roachy; 01-31-2013 at 08:39 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 15

Try playing with the height of the pickups if you haven't already. They'll kill the sustain if they're too close.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

HMM, relief in the neck. I will look at that. thanks. Thats new to me.

And I tried lowering the pickups on my old guitar but not on this RG. Will try that.

I found I can get great sustain with high gain amp and tube screamer with compression on my pod xt live. But I dont want to blow my ears out. i am hoping for sustain with a clean low gain tone, but perhaps I am missing something here as most tone I hear with nice sustain seems to have the high gain, like David Gilmore's comfortably numb solo.

thanks again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwarp View Post
HMM, relief in the neck. I will look at that. thanks. Thats new to me.

And I tried lowering the pickups on my old guitar but not on this RG. Will try that.

I found I can get great sustain with high gain amp and tube screamer with compression on my pod xt live. But I dont want to blow my ears out. i am hoping for sustain with a clean low gain tone, but perhaps I am missing something here as most tone I hear with nice sustain seems to have the high gain, like David Gilmore's comfortably numb solo.

thanks again.
Slightly OT, but it never occurred to me to have the phrase "high gain" associated with David Gilmour.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM

You didn't see David Gilmour's live solo with a JEM thru a 5151? It was something else when he ripped out "Eruption" note for note. He said "just kidding" and pulled out a strat into a super reverb after that. Then I woke up.

That being said, yeah, string height can have a lot to do with it. The other thought I had is: are the screws holding the neck in right or have they loosened some.

There was a guy out there selling screw inserts to put into your neck so the connection between the guitar and neck were stronger and thus increase sustain.

See: http://www.onyxforgeguitars.com/Insert%20kit.html

I've personally never tried this but it sure seems like it might allow for a higher degree of contact between the neck and body which could lead to more overall sustain.

Another thing I did on a Jackson Soloist (that was a neckthru guitar so it already had good sustain) but the post recesses that kept the locking trem attached to the guitar were not as large as those supplied by a real Floyd Rose trem setup.

I simply ordered real Floyd posts (larger diameter, more material for contact) and had my luthier install them and it increased sustain noticeably. The existing trem was a better than average licensed version but the mosts were cheap - once the posts were replaced I was ready to play.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 02-05-2013 at 05:14 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Well the lack of sustain may be caused by many factors. First of all extremely low action causes fretbuzz dead tones and low sustain. You can say poor setup. Check the truss rod relief and tremolo high, you can google for tips it is not that hard. Now you can try something else. Look at your pickups high. You will be surprised how the pickups especially some high output (and i talk about passive pickups only) pickups cut your sustain. So try to lower them and see if there is a difference it may be a small one but i guess that there would be. You'll get a clearer tone as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I follow what you guys are saying. I have been on the road without my electric. I will try these things soon and get back.

btw, there is gain and there is GAIN!! Gilmore doesnt use active humbucking EMGs etc... Ha! funny you guys

\I saw an interview with Gilmore on how his tone punches through with the use of gain. Notably in solos like CN. It screams but is clean, yet it screams, and its easy to get sustain with that tone... IMH experience.

I hope for better natural sustain I can hear unplugged, feel, in my hands- maybe I need a les paul. lol

Tags
rg370dx , sustain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode