rg3ex? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

rg3ex?

any of you guys seen these? i saw 4 of them at GC. red, black, sunburst quilts and a white with black binding. i saw one a couple of weeks back at a GC in memphis. all black with like ivory binding. there is no info on the ibanez us site. any info?

rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 02:21 AM

Re: rg3ex?

I live in Arkansas and I've definitely not seen anything like what you're describing. If only my car didn't suck so much I'd drive up to this GC in Memphis.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:17 AM

There's a thread about RG Extreme editions, those at least with EMGs. RG6EX and RG7EX. This is probably similar. The Extreme series guitars are on the ibanez japan site. Maybe GC had a couple custom built for them (again).
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i saw the thread on the 6ex and 7ex for thejapanese market, but there were 4 3ex models here. 3 with quilt tops and 1 in a solid color. they had some "designed by EMG" pickups in them and a 3 way switch. with those and including the black one i saw in memphis, that's a total of 5 varieties at least of the 3ex. the quilt topped ones look amazing. albeit, they had crap setups and the necks felt huge. i am wondering about body wood. i assumed that they are basswood, but the grain is more pronounced than most basswood. it's not mahogany, because i know what mahogany looks like... the grain is too loose. makes me wonder due to the fact that these are made in indonesia. they are overall, very impressive.

rich
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:22 PM

Dunno the RG3EX is, but it seriously does sound like another custom batch of guitars made for GC. If it was actually a standard model, it might actually do pretty well.

Maybe one day Ibanez will realize that if they took the RG321 and slapped in a set of Dimarzios/Duncans/EMGs they'd have a winner in thier hands. (I mean hey, the Schecter Blackjack series does well for Schecter only because it's cheap(relatively), black and it has real duncans in it).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:12 PM

I tested two of these...

I just tested out the RG3EX yesterday at Guitar Center... They had three at that particular store, all with quilt tops: transparent red, trans orange, and trans black.

The red one looked amazing... I tried that one (with the EMG designed pickups) and it felt quite nice. The neck felt a bit thicker and flatter than my three Ibanez electrics (two RGs and one S), but it didn't feel huge or cumbersome to me. Not to say that Rich's comments above are inaccurate, but perhaps he is used to the ultra-thin Wizard necks, or has higher priced Ibanez guitars that I do... (Am I right, Rich?)

The setup on the red one was great, and the pickups were quite hot in that the pinch harmonics came out easily, and sounded quite awesome... I later tried the black one, but that one wasn't set up as nicely. The action was higher, and somehow, the overall feel of it didn't compare to the first RG3EX I had tested. I think I will go back to Guitar Center today to check out the guitar again... I'm seriously considering picking one up for $400... If anyone knows more about this new RG, please let us all know more!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: I tested two of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinSoCalEsq
I just tested out the RG3EX yesterday at Guitar Center... They had three at that particular store, all with quilt tops: transparent red, trans orange, and trans black.

The red one looked amazing... I tried that one (with the EMG designed pickups) and it felt quite nice. The neck felt a bit thicker and flatter than my three Ibanez electrics (two RGs and one S), but it didn't feel huge or cumbersome to me. Not to say that Rich's comments above are inaccurate, but perhaps he is used to the ultra-thin Wizard necks, or has higher priced Ibanez guitars that I do... (Am I right, Rich?)

The setup on the red one was great, and the pickups were quite hot in that the pinch harmonics came out easily, and sounded quite awesome... I later tried the black one, but that one wasn't set up as nicely. The action was higher, and somehow, the overall feel of it didn't compare to the first RG3EX I had tested. I think I will go back to Guitar Center today to check out the guitar again... I'm seriously considering picking one up for $400... If anyone knows more about this new RG, please let us all know more!
actually, the necks felt bigger than the wizard 2 that i have on my rg321mhmol. had the same contours but felt bigger...more girth! almost like the sa necks, but with the flatness of a wizard 2. there was just more neck in the hand. not that this was a bad thing, just not what i expected from an rg. they are gorgeous axes, and i found out that they are GC exclusive with basswood backs on quilt tops. the guitars are definitely great bang for the bucks, it almost made me regret buying the rg321mh a week earlier, but in the end i saved $200over the rg3ex and had a mahogany axe. granted the rg3ex is way "prettier", but the rg321mh is way more practical for what i needed it for. not to say i won't end up getting the black quilt rg3ex, i just have more pressing gear/studio things to buy before i burn another $400 on another guitar.

rich

rich
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:47 PM

you should go down to where the guitar is and take some pictures of it. that would be sweet. later
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Cool Re: rg3ex?

Hi. I went to GC and played the trans grey quilt top rg3exqm1. It plays like ice. Really nice and has some wierd emg's. I liked it so much after playing it i put it in lay a way. They are especially made for GC i am pretty sure. I couldnt find them nowhere online except some 6 and 7ex like that other guys said. I liked that it didnt have a tremelo. The action on the one i put in lay a way its just right ....really low and still intonated. The EMG's were pretty hot too which is good and it has 24 jumbo frets. A overall sweet guitar. I play lead and it will do just fine. Ill post pics as soon as i get it for you all. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Well later fellas....and one last thing rock on .....Danny
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:18 AM

I wonder if someone could posssibly find and post the official specs for these GC guitars as well as a picture or two....or three. These things sound like they may be pretty sweet but seeing as to how I can't get out to GC myself it would be nice to see some pictures and know the exact specs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 AM

Talking Re: rg3ex?

Hey go to my profile at

http://www.myspace.com/26438719
and click on my profile and then you will see where its says view more pics. Click on that and then you will see my guitar and a orange one that is not mine but on display in the store. I had the guy get my guitar out of lay a way so i could take pics of it. I just had too. You all understand. Peace and enjoy. As always Rock On .....Later,
Danny aka dantheman...haha

Last edited by dantheman; 10-18-2005 at 10:45 PM. Reason: new pics link
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:41 AM

hey man click on my link and there is plenty of pics of the one i am buying and an orange RG3EXQM....They rock. No official specs though. They did have them availible. I know they are GC exclusives though. Good luck man. Later
Danny

Tags
ibanez guitars , jumbo frets , pinch harmonics , thin wizard neck , thin wizard necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode