RG3EX1 Quilted Maple top? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

RG3EX1 Quilted Maple top?

Tried a stunning looking and excellent playing RG3EX1 today and was wondering what they use for the quilted Maple top? Hopfully its a veneer and not a photo flame or something like that but i doubt it. Anyway awesome guitar which i`ll be getting instead of the RG321MH i was going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG3EX1 Quilted Maple top?

Does anyone know??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Reviews: 21

Definitely a veneer. Not a bad one at that but a veneer all the same.
I would play both guitars and see which one I like better. They both sound different since the RG3EX1 is basswood and the RG321MH is mahogany.
Best of luck!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Definitely a veneer. Not a bad one at that but a veneer all the same.
I would play both guitars and see which one I like better. They both sound different since the RG3EX1 is basswood and the RG321MH is mahogany.
Best of luck!
Thanks!! Yeah i tried them both and think they`re equally great. I`m going to change the pups either way so it really now comes down to the looks and i like the RG3EX1 alot better in that department so i`m going to go for that one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELicari View Post
Thanks!! Yeah i tried them both and think they`re equally great. I`m going to change the pups either way so it really now comes down to the looks and i like the RG3EX1 alot better in that department so i`m going to go for that one.
Sleep on it if you can. Try playing some other basswood and mahogany guitars with better pickups in them that let the wood's true character come out. That might give you a better idea of what an RG3EX1 or a RG321MH will sound like once you put decent pickups in it.

In less than a week, the RG3EX1 might look half as pretty to you as it did it today. If that happens, don't buy it! Because...looks aside, the RG321MH beats it in value.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadeloc7 View Post
Sleep on it if you can. Try playing some other basswood and mahogany guitars with better pickups in them that let the wood's true character come out. That might give you a better idea of what an RG3EX1 or a RG321MH will sound like once you put decent pickups in it.

In less than a week, the RG3EX1 might look half as pretty to you as it did it today. If that happens, don't buy it! Because...looks aside, the RG321MH beats it in value.
How do you figure the 321mh beats the 3ex1 in terms of value? With the exception of the fact that the 321 is mahogany which is always nice, it doesn't have the body binding or shark fin inlays that the 3ex1 does, plus I'd take those emg designed pups over infinity's any day of the week. Plusssssss it's got a really gorgeous quilt top. I own a 4ex1 and it's a real classy looking axe with the nice burst finish and the body binding.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Hell Broke Loose View Post
How do you figure the 321mh beats the 3ex1 in terms of value? With the exception of the fact that the 321 is mahogany which is always nice, it doesn't have the body binding or shark fin inlays that the 3ex1 does, plus I'd take those emg designed pups over infinity's any day of the week. Plusssssss it's got a really gorgeous quilt top. I own a 4ex1 and it's a real classy looking axe with the nice burst finish and the body binding.
Well, I think the RG321 is around $70 cheaper. And, he said he would be replacing the pickups regardless. I guess I might be a little bias as I do not mind very plain features, as long as its a solid guitar.

Either way, he's gonna end up w/ a good guitar. Was just giving my 2 cents.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM

i would go with the rg3ex1. it looks amazing compared to the rg321mh. also i find mohagony my self to deep and struggles at anything mid to high to my ears. so unless you like rhythm playing only i like basswood especially the fact it has real maple on it which helps the highs a bit too. and looks great also.

Tags
rg3ex1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode