RG450m JSG having trouble - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3
RG450m JSG having trouble

So I was looking around for a decent new guitar made of basswood and decided it was time to buy my first RG. I did my research (not enough apparently) but figured I'd dive in and ask the experts of this site for their input.

I bought this absolutely gorgeous RG450M in Jetstream Green. Awesome color Ibanez. I have played the S series for quite a while now and got used to the ZR tremolo (it's very reliable and I highly recommend it). I digress. This particular RG comes with the Edge Zero II tremolo and I figured that meant it had the zps...it doesn't. I was turned off immediately upon opening the package and seeing it was just like the FR. It won't stay in tune AT ALL. If I get it tuned then lock the nut it goes out of tune...when I use the fine tuners it sends all the strings out of tune. This bothers me. I've lubed the poles, I've lubed the fine tuners which were very stiff upon arrival, and I've even used nut sauce every where I can. I've had this guitar for a little less than a week now and have gone through two packs of strings because I thought maybe that was the problem.

All that being said I don't want to drop anymore money to get a new tremolo and I don't want to sell the guitar because it's gorgeous and when in tune plays amazing. Is there anything else I can do or do I need to drop the cash on a trem with the zps system? As far as I can tell it's not an upgrade from the Edge III and I hate saying that because I'm a through and through Ibanez fan. Please help me.
ramhurstrambler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 89
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

Have you locked the studs? You have a set screw in the studs for the bridge, tighten them and don't forget to unlock em if you want to adjust the bridge height.
Eskil is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,366
Reviews: 21
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

The Edge Zero 2 isn't balanced. Get a tuner, unlock your strings, and pull the backplate off. If your strings are consistently going flat tighten the trem springs. If they consistently go sharp loosen them. With each adjustment turn the trem claw screws only about 1/8th of a turn - maybe less depending on how close you are to balanced. Stress and slack the trem a few times (pull up and down on the bar) to get the springs to adjust then retune. Repeat the process until all strings remain in tune. Then lock your strings down and fine tune as needed.
Good luck!
mike570 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 104
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

The RG350 models with the Edge Zero II actually do have a ZPS3-FE. They removed it from the newer 450s (and dropped the price a bit). I'm glad I bought my 350 with the ZPS as I really like it. I know some do not as it's a stiffer feel and harder to flutter, but it make setting up the trem a LOT easier.
LNG#16 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: independence MO
Posts: 251
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
The Edge Zero 2 isn't balanced. Get a tuner, unlock your strings, and pull the backplate off. If your strings are consistently going flat tighten the trem springs. If they consistently go sharp loosen them. With each adjustment turn the trem claw screws only about 1/8th of a turn - maybe less depending on how close you are to balanced. Stress and slack the trem a few times (pull up and down on the bar) to get the springs to adjust then retune. Repeat the process until all strings remain in tune. Then lock your strings down and fine tune as needed.
Good luck!
+1 to the above, also nice guitar I have the same model and love the color. Just put a breed neck and super d set in mine. The super distortion is to muddy imo. Think Im going to swap it out for somthing different down the road.
nathan80 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

Thanks so much gentlemen. You really can't put a price on free advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
The Edge Zero 2 isn't balanced. Get a tuner, unlock your strings, and pull the backplate off. If your strings are consistently going flat tighten the trem springs. If they consistently go sharp loosen them. With each adjustment turn the trem claw screws only about 1/8th of a turn - maybe less depending on how close you are to balanced. Stress and slack the trem a few times (pull up and down on the bar) to get the springs to adjust then retune. Repeat the process until all strings remain in tune. Then lock your strings down and fine tune as needed.
Good luck!
You're the man. That's a little different from Floyd Rose setup. This information will get me much farther in life.

Quote:
Have you locked the studs? You have a set screw in the studs for the bridge, tighten them and don't forget to unlock em if you want to adjust the bridge height.
I'm glad you reminded me of this. From the last time I tried to set it up I forgot to lock them. fail.

Quote:
+1 to the above, also nice guitar I have the same model and love the color. Just put a breed neck and super d set in mine. The super distortion is to muddy imo. Think Im going to swap it out for somthing different down the road.
I'm looking into some Dimarzios as well. I haven't quite made my mind up. I went on a Dimarzio hiatus for about two years for a JB...I'm glad that stage of my life is over.

Dimarzios seem to work better in basswood from what I've heard and tested. I believe I'm going to give the Gravity Storm bridge and PAF neck a go. I may go straight up PAF though. Thoughts?
ramhurstrambler is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramhurstrambler View Post
Thanks so much gentlemen. You really can't put a price on free advice.



You're the man. That's a little different from Floyd Rose setup. This information will get me much farther in life.



I'm glad you reminded me of this. From the last time I tried to set it up I forgot to lock them. fail.



I'm looking into some Dimarzios as well. I haven't quite made my mind up. I went on a Dimarzio hiatus for about two years for a JB...I'm glad that stage of my life is over.

Dimarzios seem to work better in basswood from what I've heard and tested. I believe I'm going to give the Gravity Storm bridge and PAF neck a go. I may go straight up PAF though. Thoughts?
If you're gonna do GS, get the GS neck as well. I have them both in my 1550, they are incredible pups. For balance sake, get rid of the INF single in the middle. I'm debating whether I want to put in a Cruiser bridge or something a little more softer into the middle for my GS loaded axe.
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Saint Charles
Posts: 116
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

I snagged an RG350DMX because of the Edge Zero II ZPS3-FE and I must say it is awesome - way better than my Edge III on the RG370. Would the OP be able to customize his RG with an Edge Zero II ZPS?

Why would Ibanez remove it from the 450's? That's exactly why I quickly snagged one of these last RG350's with the ZPS3 - which I believe Ibanez stopped making in lieu of the 450.

I got my RG350 for $379 - how much lower did the price drop on the 450's?

So glad I got this guitar when I did - aren't they awesome?




Quote:
Originally Posted by LNG#16 View Post
The RG350 models with the Edge Zero II actually do have a ZPS3-FE. They removed it from the newer 450s (and dropped the price a bit). I'm glad I bought my 350 with the ZPS as I really like it. I know some do not as it's a stiffer feel and harder to flutter, but it make setting up the trem a LOT easier.
windycitycane is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 5,174
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post
I snagged an RG350DMX because of the Edge Zero II ZPS3-FE and I must say it is awesome - way better than my Edge III on the RG370. Would the OP be able to customize his RG with an Edge Zero II ZPS?

Why would Ibanez remove it from the 450's? That's exactly why I quickly snagged one of these last RG350's with the ZPS3 - which I believe Ibanez stopped making in lieu of the 450.

I got my RG350 for $379 - how much lower did the price drop on the 450's?

So glad I got this guitar when I did - aren't they awesome?
They took out the ZPS to lower the price to compete with comparatively priced Fenders/Gibsons. I agree that it sucks, the ZPS is a great little tool.
MatiasTolkki is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3
Re: RG450m JSG having trouble

Quote:
Would the OP be able to customize his RG with an Edge Zero II ZPS?
dat question doe.
ramhurstrambler is offline  
Reply

Tags
rg 450

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGD RG450M nathan80 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 16 07-27-2013 11:01 PM
trouble with my C-7 HoP Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 0 08-23-2007 09:06 PM
amp trouble arrowman1969 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 08-14-2007 07:31 AM
TRS trouble Toolhead All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 03-08-2003 07:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome