I've got 2 rg470s. They are circa 2000. I love 'em. I've had some problems with the volume pots. One volume knob, even when fully counter clockwise, does not cut volume to 0. It sounds like the volume is 1. And my humbuckers seem to sink into the body.
So, what mods would I do, to upgrade to rg570 features? Are the pickups significantly better on the 570? I see some mention of trems. I'm happy with my trem -- why do some prefer the trem on the 570?
What else is better on the 570?
Thanks in advance,
1. Different Necks: But this isn't always true, as stated before, some japanese made 470's have a wizard neck. Check the serial number, if it starts with F, it's a Wizard. If not, it's a Wizard II. The Wizard II is slightly thicker, and has a different profile. If your a man, and a shredder, and not a crybaby, you go with a wizard no matter what.
2. Different Trems: Edge vs. Lo TRS II, or LO TRS on Japanese models. The Edge Trem is preferable because it lasts longer. After a while the Lo TRS models start to go out of tune frequently because the steel isn't hardened, so when you push up and down it doesn't reset perfectly. That's why a LO TRS will cost you 55 bucks on evilbay, and an Original Edge will fetch 125-150. If you don't dive bomb a lot, or if the LOTRS is still fairly unused, then it will be comparable to an edge. CAREFUL: an original EDGE WILL NOT FIT in a LO TRS or LO TRSII cavity. It just barely hits on the body, and the screws are too long in the back.
3. Different Tuners: At least that is what I have found. The Japanese models have a gotoh style [maybe even gotoh] tuner, whereas the Korean models have these weird tuners that have two little pokey things that hold them in place, rather than a screw, that way it's a pain in the asss to upgrade a 470 into a 570.
4. Pickups: V7 S1 V8 in the 570 , I'm not sure what's in a 470. AH1? AS1 and AH2? Those pickups, if you have them, are the worst that I have ever heard on any guitar ever made. The V7, S1 and V8 sound pretty good, but INCONSISTENT. Some sound good, some don't seriously, remember pickups are random things man, with different outputs and windings.
As far as pickups, dude, go get seymours or dimarzios, then when you become a big boy you can go to boutique Pups. I haven't gotten there yet, I'm perfectly happy with Duncans and Dimarzios, and EMGs., and an occasionaly vintage.
5. Mojo: Love yourself. Sell the 470. Then buy a nice RG570, find one with the bubinga stripe down the back, nobody knows anything about them. If you're smart you can find one with upgraded pickups. Most sellers don't charge full price for these upgrades. These guitars are equal, if not better, than the current prestige theory.