rg470 upgrade it to rg570? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

rg470 upgrade it to rg570?

I've got 2 rg470s. They are circa 2000. I love 'em. I've had some problems with the volume pots. One volume knob, even when fully counter clockwise, does not cut volume to 0. It sounds like the volume is 1. And my humbuckers seem to sink into the body.

So, what mods would I do, to upgrade to rg570 features? Are the pickups significantly better on the 570? I see some mention of trems. I'm happy with my trem -- why do some prefer the trem on the 570?

What else is better on the 570?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:06 AM

Re: rg470 upgrade it to rg570?

Most 470's have the same pickups as the 570's (V7-S1-V. The big difference is the Edge bridge and its locking studs is usually better than the TRS bridge, but if you are happy with the way they play and if they stay in tune for you, I would just bring them up to snuff by replacing the pots(500K), maybe add the little bypass caps to the volume pots that are found on some guitars(it keeps the sound a little brighter when you back off the volume). If you pickup is falling into the body, adjust the height screws to reset the pickup height. The body is the same wood(basswood) and many 470 models actually have 550/570 necks(check the stamp on the heel).
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:07 AM

v7, s1 v8. Don't know why it put a smiley face in place of the 8...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:19 AM
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrye777 View Post
I've got 2 rg470s. They are circa 2000. I love 'em. I've had some problems with the volume pots. One volume knob, even when fully counter clockwise, does not cut volume to 0. It sounds like the volume is 1. And my humbuckers seem to sink into the body.

So, what mods would I do, to upgrade to rg570 features? Are the pickups significantly better on the 570? I see some mention of trems. I'm happy with my trem -- why do some prefer the trem on the 570?

What else is better on the 570?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
1. Different Necks: But this isn't always true, as stated before, some japanese made 470's have a wizard neck. Check the serial number, if it starts with F, it's a Wizard. If not, it's a Wizard II. The Wizard II is slightly thicker, and has a different profile. If your a man, and a shredder, and not a crybaby, you go with a wizard no matter what.

2. Different Trems: Edge vs. Lo TRS II, or LO TRS on Japanese models. The Edge Trem is preferable because it lasts longer. After a while the Lo TRS models start to go out of tune frequently because the steel isn't hardened, so when you push up and down it doesn't reset perfectly. That's why a LO TRS will cost you 55 bucks on evilbay, and an Original Edge will fetch 125-150. If you don't dive bomb a lot, or if the LOTRS is still fairly unused, then it will be comparable to an edge. CAREFUL: an original EDGE WILL NOT FIT in a LO TRS or LO TRSII cavity. It just barely hits on the body, and the screws are too long in the back.

3. Different Tuners: At least that is what I have found. The Japanese models have a gotoh style [maybe even gotoh] tuner, whereas the Korean models have these weird tuners that have two little pokey things that hold them in place, rather than a screw, that way it's a pain in the asss to upgrade a 470 into a 570.

4. Pickups: V7 S1 V8 in the 570 , I'm not sure what's in a 470. AH1? AS1 and AH2? Those pickups, if you have them, are the worst that I have ever heard on any guitar ever made. The V7, S1 and V8 sound pretty good, but INCONSISTENT. Some sound good, some don't seriously, remember pickups are random things man, with different outputs and windings.

As far as pickups, dude, go get seymours or dimarzios, then when you become a big boy you can go to boutique Pups. I haven't gotten there yet, I'm perfectly happy with Duncans and Dimarzios, and EMGs., and an occasionaly vintage.

5. Mojo: Love yourself. Sell the 470. Then buy a nice RG570, find one with the bubinga stripe down the back, nobody knows anything about them. If you're smart you can find one with upgraded pickups. Most sellers don't charge full price for these upgrades. These guitars are equal, if not better, than the current prestige theory.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
v7, s1 v8. Don't know why it put a smiley face in place of the 8...
8 followed by a parenthesis is a "symbol" for something cool (note the shades).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM

AHA! Anyway, good point on the tuners but with a locking nut, they sort of don't matter. The Japanese Ibanez use Gotoh brand but they usually say Ibanez on them. Pretty sure the Koreans use Ping and they are certainly not as good as Gotoh. 2 more cents, I do prefer the bubinga striped necks. I also have to wonder if the better basswood stock goes to the Fuji factory and the lesser stuff goes to Korea?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
1. Different Necks: But this isn't always true, as stated before, some japanese made 470's have a wizard neck. Check the serial number, if it starts with F, it's a Wizard. If not, it's a Wizard II. The Wizard II is slightly thicker, and has a different profile. If your a man, and a shredder, and not a crybaby, you go with a wizard no matter what.
That's not necessarily the case. The Japanese ones came with a Japanese Wizard II neck. Similar radius and profile to the Wizard, but a little thicker like the Wizard II.

To the OP

Look if you are really happy with the feel of your neck, and the Japanese LO-TRS suits your needs (they are good trems unlike the Korean LO-TRS II) just upgrade your pickups. You'll have a smokin' axe. If the trem still is a little bother buy a Gotoh licensed Floyd Rose and drop it in. Awesome trem (my favourite in line with the Edge). Cheaper than an OFR or Schaller variant, plus you get locking studs with them too. Your trem should be fine though.

I've still got my MIK 95 RG470. I was lucky and scored it brand new with a Japanese Wizard neck (learnt many years later). My LO-TRS II went to the dogs so I retro-fitted an Edge and upgraded the pickups. It's a fantastic axe, and I'll never get rid of it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! Very helpful responses. I'll check some of these variables on my 470s and post, for giggles. I've been pretty happy with the trem. I do notice that after dive bombs, it may not return to neutral. If I then raise it and release, it does return to neutral, according to my tuner.

I do have the V series of pickups.

My tech of 20 years has sold his interest in his family-owned music store and took a plant job. I think I'll go to a local tech who has worked with Shania Twain and Michael W Smith. He charges $125 for a Floyd "overhaul" (my word, not his).

Again, I really appreciate the help from some fellow RG fans!

Jerry
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys! Very helpful responses. I'll check some of these variables on my 470s and post, for giggles. I've been pretty happy with the trem. I do notice that after dive bombs, it may not return to neutral. If I then raise it and release, it does return to neutral, according to my tuner.

I do have the V series of pickups.

My tech of 20 years has sold his interest in his family-owned music store and took a plant job. I think I'll go to a local tech who has worked with Shania Twain and Michael W Smith. He charges $125 for a Floyd "overhaul" (my word, not his).

Again, I really appreciate the help from some fellow RG fans!

Jerry
$125 for a floyd overhaul?!?!?! just buy a new floyd rose original. it's not too much more and will just be a better trem than any lo-trs. plain and simple. after that swap the pickups and its a done deal. 470's are great beaters and i almost wish i had one in the herd to keep the miles off of my nicer rg's.

rich
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

ok, I've got the F serial number, so that tells us Japanese Wizard II neck.
Headstock back says made in Japan.
I don't see a middle zone on the back of the neck.
The pups are V1,7,8.

Honestly, I sure would like to see a bigger upgrade in specs to go to the 570. It amazes me that most every reviewer of 570 and 1570 says they need to upgrade the pups to Dimarzio.

Last edited by jerrye777; 03-23-2008 at 02:44 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 AM

well, for me, the only way to upgrade an RG 470 is changing the pickups, that's all.

it makes no sense if you make a new routing to fit the EDGE/ LO PRO EDGE trem on the 470, same thing as no sense to put a wizard neck to the 470.

if you want original wizard and edge/ lo pro edge trem, simply sell the 470, get a 550/ 570. faster and less pain.

if you love your 470 so much, there is no need to 'upgrade' it, unless change the pickups if you want new voices on your guitar.

good luck
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

"only way to upgrade an RG 470 is changing the pickups ...
simply sell the 470, get a 550/ 570"

I'm with you. One thing I didn't address is whether the electronics are significantly better in a 570. I've been researching this over the weekend, and my head is spinning. I think I'll make a darn spreadsheet with the important variables -- pups, trem, neck, electronics.

I mention electronics because of the glitches I experience with volume. But again, my expensive Taylor 814* crackles on volume knob turns, so I think I just suffer from my own lack of care and maintenance.

Really appreciate it, p'shred and others,
Jerry
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Pots, switch, etc aren't that expensive. I say if you are happy with the neck, and the trem is alright, upgrade the pickups and electronics and enjoy.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice. I spent $200 for the tech to tweak my 470 and the guitar has never played better. He tweaked the Lo TRS. He found a locking nut issue. He did a push/push tone knob mod. He changed my volume pot. He polished frets... basically gave it a tune up. He spent an hour with my, discussing options, including RG1570s and 2570s, which are tempting. I also got some tips on string changing, stretching, use of the locking nut.

Regarding the 470, we also discussed the option of replacing the trem every 2 years (or however long the trem holds strong and stable) as opposed to spending 1000 on a new Ibi with a trem that is arguably inferior to the original Edge.

So, I've been doing some serious homework. And the feeling of my 470 in hand has made it all worth it. I abuse the trem and it stays in tune.

So was it worth it? Yes. His turnaround was one day, btw. I also value the networking potential. I don't have the time and patience now to do these things myself, although I may get a beater 470 and learn with a buddy.

I don't like to waste money. But when I get high-caliber expertise and service, I don't mind paying for it. I believe you usually get what you pay for.

Again, thank you all, though. Where can I buy my support the site T shirt or boxer shorts?

Jerry
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Good to hear it all went well.

Quote:
Regarding the 470, we also discussed the option of replacing the trem every 2 years (or however long the trem holds strong and stable) as opposed to spending 1000 on a new Ibi with a trem that is arguably inferior to the original Edge.
You shouldn't need to replace the trem every two years, that's for sure. If the trem were to die, buy a Gotoh licenced Floyd Rose, get the locking studs installed as well, and that will last years.

Saying that, again the LO-TRS should be fine for some time still.

Tags
edge bridge , edge trem , floyd rose , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , music store , pickup height , pro edge , pro edge trem , trs bridge , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode