RG470MB Mod Project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By LonePhantom
  • 2 Post By LonePhantom
  • 1 Post By Ashurbanipal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

RG470MB Mod Project

So Iíve been wanting to change out some parts on my 2019 RG470 and I could use some advice for any retrofitting or replacing components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 08:30 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: RG470MB Mod Project

Okay? You'll need to actually provide details of what you're interested in doing.
aesthyrian likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 12:42 AM

Here is one sugestion.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/wir...sh-split-coils
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I’d like to upgrade the Edge trem to an actual Floyd Rose, some chrome hardware, and a new bridge pickup. I was thinking a Pariah Pasadena series black, or a Seymour Duncan ‘78 model or Frankenstein.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

My biggest concern I guess would be which Floyd would fit properly in the stock routing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I guess my biggest concern would be the Floyd, and which one would fit with which locking nut, and matching the radiuses.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 120

Pickups will be fine. F or trem spaced will aesthetically line up the pole pieces with the strings, but standard spacing will still work. The Frankenstein is regular spaced, but you can get it as the IM1 from Seymour Duncan's Custom Shop. They'll do Trem spaced if you ask. Both are awesome sounding pickups. Had both, and still retain my Custom Shop IM1 with a couple little tweaks.

Gotoh Floyd Rose is probably the best bang for buck licenced Floyd Rose, with improvements over the OFR. I'm guessing that it should replace the STD-DL that's on your RG. You may need to do a little sanding routing to fit. Someone else may be able to confirm.
Edwood and aesthyrian like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Will the Gotoh locking nut replace the original Ibanez? Iíve heard some guys say that itís good to leave the stock nut but Iím not too sure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 12:45 PM

If you intend to replace the nut, you need to have the correct radius, width and mounting specs. That particular RG470 has a Wizard neck that's been on the mid level guitars for some time, so 43mm wide at the nut and a 15"/16" fingerboard radius. The Gotoh GHL nut fits this spec. The current version of the guitar has a top mounted nut, don't know whether that was the case a few years ago. Either way, you can get a rear or top mounted variant from Gotoh.

On the other hand, if the stock nut works as it should, probably don't need to change it.

Another thing to consider if you plan to get a Gotoh Floyd is that some modification may be required to use the Gotoh inserts/studs. The Lo-TRS type inserts are hollow, while Gotoh ones are solid because the studs have the locking set screw in them, and the dimensions are, I think, different, so some drilling may be required. With an Original Floyd, this is is necessary to use the replacement inserts/studs. On the other hand, you can keep the stock TRS inserts/studs, see here: https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/gotoh-rf-50577.html.

Of course, make sure that the block length is appropriate too.
peromucho7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode