rg4exfm1 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Question rg4exfm1

Hi guys,

I was planning to change my pickups in my rg4exfm1. They are currently the Inf3 and inf4 pickups. These don't really sound to good in my opinion. This guitar is made out of basswood and I was wondering what pickups would produce a good sound. Also my amp is a line 6 75 watt. The type of music I play is alternative rock and what pickups would you guys think is the best for this guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Re: rg4exfm1

Tone Zone Bridge, Air Norton Neck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM

I second the airnorton and the tone zone. thats a great combination
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 PM

check out www.dimarzzio.com they have a cool pickup finder. You just go in tell it what type of amp, wood, bridge, and what type of sound you're aiming for and it'll give you the top 3.

I've used it several times myself.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM

I've got an rg4ex1 too, and the pickups definitely need to go. I dropped a set of EMG's in mine and it sounds great, but I wouldn't recommend that so much for you. I use the guitar in a death metal band. For alternative/rock/hard rock I would go with either the Dimarzio Tone Zone or a Duncan JB in the bridge, or a Dimarzio Super Distortion if you want it a bit hotter. In the neck I'd go with the Dimarzio Air Norton or a Duncan Jazz or '59.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Reviews: 10

I also play often through a 75W Line 6 Spider III.

If you need quite a bit of distortion, yet want to keep cords and soloing articulate and versatile, give a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge a try. It works very well in alder/basswood body guitars. I have one in my Lag Rockline and love it for distorted sounds. Split in combination with a neck single coil or a split humbucker is very nice for percussive clean tones. The Seymour Duncan JB is fairly similar, but less hot.

As for Dimarzios, I can only speak for the AirNorton in the neck, as I know the ToneZone only in mahogany/maple top guitars.

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez , rg4exfm1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode