RG550 20th - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

RG550 20th

I was just wondering for those of you that have the RG550 20th, how does it stack up against a Jem7vwh...I'm assuming there are a lot of differences, but any quick info would be great...

Also, is the yellow not available anymore - it doesn't look like it is on some websites...

Should that picture arouse me as much as it does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Re: RG550 20th

I doubt you can buy a new one now you might get lucky IDK. There are several of us here that have that exact model and most of us pre-paid several months ago..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post
I was just wondering for those of you that have the RG550 20th, how does it stack up against a Jem7vwh...I'm assuming there are a lot of differences, but any quick info would be great...
There are a lot of differences, yeah. The 550DY looks a lot cooler.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
There are a lot of differences, yeah. The 550DY looks a lot cooler.
I guess I just mean differences in sound and playability...anything would be helpful. Damn, the DY does look a lot sweeter...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post
I guess I just mean differences in sound and playability...anything would be helpful. Damn, the DY does look a lot sweeter...
The 20th pups are kinda unique so its hard to compare, but you would need to get an opinion from someone who has played both really. As far as playability I can't see the jem playing a whole lot better.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyHauler View Post
The 20th pups are kinda unique so its hard to compare, but you would need to get an opinion from someone who has played both really. As far as playability I can't see the jem playing a whole lot better.
Cool, thanks!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Dee

Yeah, out of the box it's most likely the JEM will play better, but once the RG is set up, it's superb. Personally I prefer the RG neck, it's thinner, plus I prefer the original Edge trem to the JEM's Edge Pro. The JEM is way more expensive, so expect a better fret job, better pickups, etc. With a JEM, you are paying also for the flashy stuff -- vine inlay, monkey grip, Lion's claw trem route, gold hardware, and let's not forget the large cut of the profit going directly to Steve. With the RG, you're not paying for a rock star's association, and these guitars are good for modding with improved pickups, etc. Not that the RG pickups are bad at all, in fact I really like 'em. It's a great guitar. You really need to see it in person to appreciate how amazing the finishes are on the Road Flare and Desert Yellow models. The Desert Yellow is like a highlighter pen yellow, and the RF just GLOWS like no red I've ever seen.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yeah, out of the box it's most likely the JEM will play better, but once the RG is set up, it's superb. Personally I prefer the RG neck, it's thinner, plus I prefer the original Edge trem to the JEM's Edge Pro. The JEM is way more expensive, so expect a better fret job, better pickups, etc. With a JEM, you are paying also for the flashy stuff -- vine inlay, monkey grip, Lion's claw trem route, gold hardware, and let's not forget the large cut of the profit going directly to Steve. With the RG, you're not paying for a rock star's association, and these guitars are good for modding with improved pickups, etc. Not that the RG pickups are bad at all, in fact I really like 'em. It's a great guitar. You really need to see it in person to appreciate how amazing the finishes are on the Road Flare and Desert Yellow models. The Desert Yellow is like a highlighter pen yellow, and the RF just GLOWS like no red I've ever seen.
I think Dee covered most of it. You could compare the tone closer to a basswood, maple fretboarded Jem once you install the same electronics but not similar to a VWH or VSBL due to the alder bodies.

I've been playing the BLK version like crazy lately (pups are clean and LOUD) and the neck is a different shape from the VWH ot VBK I have. Of course they sound day and night apart since the pups, electronics, body woods and neck/fretboards are different. The RG's were designed to be a stripped down Jem so the similarities are there and if you changed the pups and electronics you could get darn close to the tones but I doubt you will get the SAME tones as a VWH since it is alder and not basswood.

I'm still waiting on my DY to show up and I don't play my RFR but seeing it has a maple fretboard it is probably "spankier" than my BLK version that has rosewood. The rosewood board is one of the reasons I bought the BLK to go with my DY.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Dee

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/featured/rg20th.aspx

Does this not sell the 550 to you?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Whoa, mama...yes it does, Dee. I wonder if I should just go for an RG and soup it up instead of paying an arm and a leg for a 7vwh...ahhh decisions, decisions...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Dee

I know I'm biased, and I know I will love the RG550 until I die, but that would be a smart decision, in my opinion. Actually, you might find you're perfectly happy with a stock one. In fact for the price of the VWH you could have two 550's! The only problem is getting one, I'm not sure if stocks are running out, but there's always e-Bay. Quite a few of them keep appearing. If you want one, now is the time to grab one.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for all your help, man! I will keep an eye out on the bay...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Dee

Road Flare! Road Flare!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 1

i'm finished paying the DY i'm getting a RFR no matter what it cost !!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Road flare, huh? I think I dig the Desert Yellow more though...it's so ridiculously bright and obnoxious...just like me.

Tags
alder bodies , edge bridge , edge trem , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode