RG550 20th Anniversary (Road Flare Red) Review - Page 19 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Vendor

Re: RG550 20th Anniversary (Road Flare Red) Review

I can't remember what thread it was talked about in, but I just got off the phone with D'Addario [placing an order] and asked about the "move to Me'-hi-co" and she was laughing. The strings are made in NY right on the other side of the wall where she was sitting, nothing has moved anywhere. I told her about the "blackening" issue and she said she hadn't heard anything about it from anybody in the US. For what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Thanks for that info Rich. You da man!

FWIW on the case - all the cases are made in China: UV1000c, TJC and now the RG20th cases. They are flimsy but no more than most other cases. They aren't as nice as the UV1000 or the new TJC cases but I don't plan to let my cases out of the house - RFR or BLK version.

On a side note - I think Ibanez is going to discontinue the UV1000 before long. Just a guess but since most Prestige guitar come in a TJC/Prestige case, I wouldn't be suprised if the UV1000's dissapear soon.
post #273 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Vendor

UV1000's have always been made in Canada by TKL. I thought they were already discontinued, although some still left available.
post #274 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Interesting stuff. So... IbanezGirl, tell your salesman he's wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I can't remember what thread it was talked about in, but I just got off the phone with D'Addario [placing an order] and asked about the "move to Me'-hi-co" and she was laughing. The strings are made in NY right on the other side of the wall where she was sitting, nothing has moved anywhere. I told her about the "blackening" issue and she said she hadn't heard anything about it from anybody in the US. For what it's worth.
post #275 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 PM

Funny you should mention that Rich. The people at my store spoke with the NY rep on the phone the other day, and his response was the same as the lady you spoke too. They also didn't know about the string blackening issue, or the strings losing their tone so quickly, but are going to look into it.

Actually Dee, the salesperson that told me about the Mexico thing, is not my normal salesperson/store, thankfully.
post #276 of 279 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
UV1000's have always been made in Canada by TKL. I thought they were already discontinued, although some still left available.
Thanks for the correction Rich. So NOW the cases are all moved to Chinese production .
post #277 of 279 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 AM

I guess I'm late to all the replies since I'm new to the board. I'm an owner of one of the original 550's. I CANNOT believe they are re-issuing for $1,000!! Don't get me wrong, the guitar rips and is very versatile. I bought the orange version back in '87. The case still smells like vanilla. Over the years I never played it, especially live because it was so bright and I'm playing more classic rock now. So, I had it re-painted to a metallic purple and had the neck re-aligned and frets re-dressed. It looks and plays awesome. Now I play it.

I've also got a Les Paul and Fender Strat, but this guitar is the most versatile. I also had Duncan Distortions put in the bridge. The thing sounds like a chainsaw through my Marshall

I don't know how to post pics, but have a few if some could tell me how.
post #278 of 279 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Use IMG tags.

Type [IMG] and then put the URL of the pic. Close the tag with [/IMG]. Don't put any spaces between the tags and the URL.

Upload pics to www.imageshack.us

Easy way to tell how to post pics: quote any post with a pic in it and copy the formatting.
post #279 of 279 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=Bman;683097]I bought the orange version back in '87......I had it re-painted to a metallic purple and had the neck re-aligned and frets re-dressed.QUOTE]

Noooooooo!!!! You repainted a Road Flare Red for '87?????? Nooooooooooo!!!

Tags
addario strings , black pickguard , bridge height adjustment , bridge pickup , candy apple red , clear coat , custom ibanez , dean markley , dimarzio strap , duncan distortion , edge bridge , fast fret , fender strat , floyd rose , fret buzz , guitar mag , guitar tech , higher strings , humbucking pickup , ibanez guitars , jumbo frets , les paul , loch ness green , lock nut , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , malmsteen strat , maple fret , maple fretboard , mij strat , music store , neck pickup , neck plate , neck pockets , nut height , paf pro , paul gilbert , pickup ring , prestige guitar , pro edge , road flare red , rosewood board , scarf joint , scratch plate , shark tooth inlays , steel wool , strat tone , super distortion , tone monster , tremolo cavity , truss rod , volume pots , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode