RG550 20th fret problem? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Dee

RG550 20th fret problem?

I'm posting this on here as I can't get any decent answers on the Ibanez forum. This is really pissing me off. I played the guitar again today for a couple of hours and my frets are turning black. WTF!? Here's my post from the other board.

OK, this has me completely puzzled. A little while ago I polished up the frets on my RG550. All was well -- looked great, felt smoother, etc. Now I'm seeing these dark stains on the frets and I can't work out why. I am hoping it's just a bad set of strings, however, I'm only using my usual D'Addario's. I noticed they are going black real quick, but believe me, I'm the kind of person who keeps his strings very clean. I usually wash my hands before playing, and I usually wipe the strings down when I'm finished. The fret stains do come off with a little effort, but I have never seen this happen before. I have done the same fret polishing to all my guitars, including a Prestige 3120 I had and my old RG750. Those were fine. Have any of you ever had a bad set of strings that seemed to turn a crappy colour real quick? These are literally a few days old. I don't think crap strings should make the frets turn black either.

I don't know if it is the actual frets. I emailed Rich about it and he said they are just the usual jumbo frets as found on pretty much every RG, so nothing should be any different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Vendor

Re: RG550 20th fret problem?

Your strings are turning though? If they are then that has to be the culprit.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Dee

OK, I'm gonna change them. I have a new set (minus the top E) so I'm hoping you're right. Rich, on the 550's that you prepped and sent out, did you polish those frets? I would love to know if those are OK.
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Oh damn, I just remembered I still owe you 15 bucks. I'll put it into PayPal now and get it to you ASAP. Sorry about that, I forgot.

It'll take a while to clear, though.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Vendor

I've only done 2 so far, I haven't heard anything from those customers, which is only saying, I haven't heard anything. They might be case queens, but then why would they pay for the work?
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Very true. OK, I'm off to restring. Thanks for the replies Rich.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Oh damn, I just remembered I still owe you 15 bucks. I'll put it into PayPal now and get it to you ASAP. Sorry about that, I forgot.

It'll take a while to clear, though.

I'd feel bad taking it. I quoted you, it was just that damn book that threw the weight off, I wasn't expecting that!
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Don't feel bad, the book is well worth $15. Cheers for being patient. It's in PayPal and as soon as it's cleared I'll send it.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM

I noticed my fingers getting black, but I still have the original strings on mine. I thought they used Daddarios (that's what I use), but have never had this happen with them. Makes me wonder if they're using cheap strings. I'll probably change them out this weekend when I get time. Maybe try to grind that nut down with a dremel and polish the frets while I'm at it.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 AM

Well as weird as it sounds, there might be some bad daddario sets out there. For no reason about a month ago, I put a 'new' set of daddarios on my FP and after a little playing my fingers turned all 'black' (no kidding). I was really intrigued and couldn't figure it out. I changed the strings to a new set ... and miracle, everything was cool and smooth again, no finger staining ... go figure what was wrong with the first set ...
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:28 AM

Reviews: 1

if your fingers are turning black from playing your guitar with the stock strings... that is normal... why? coz they have never been clean properly...
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
if your fingers are turning black from playing your guitar with the stock strings... that is normal... why? coz they have never been clean properly...

Then why did it happen to me once with a fresh set of strings out of the pack ? Whatever, happened once to me and never again ...
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 AM

I know a guy that this happens to whenever he plays nickel strings. It's some kind of reaction to his sweat
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 AM

I also Play D'addario strings...I've never experienced anything like that. It seems that I've heard of this before though..
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlamy View Post
Well as weird as it sounds, there might be some bad daddario sets out there. For no reason about a month ago, I put a 'new' set of daddarios on my FP and after a little playing my fingers turned all 'black' (no kidding). I was really intrigued and couldn't figure it out. I changed the strings to a new set ... and miracle, everything was cool and smooth again, no finger staining ... go figure what was wrong with the first set ...
That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
Mine were a fresh pack. I took the stock strings off after a day or so of having the guitar.

Anyway, let's see how it goes. I have a new set on there and I'm recording guitar tracks today.

Thanks for the replies to the thread, everyone, I'm not so worried about it now.

Tags
acoustic guitar , addario strings , bridge saddles , dean markley , electric guitar , ernie ball , ibanez guitars , jumbo frets , music store , paf pro , paf pros , zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode