RG550 20th Wizard...too thin? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 AM

Re: RG550 20th Wizard...too thin?

I have huge hands and have no problem playing my 550's wizard. I don't really have a preference. Though I do wish Ibby would make more high end guitars with Maple boards, but that has nothing to do with the neck of course. I was just thinking about my 550 is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Banned

i played a jem555 for 11 years,hated the neck (to fat) now play a 777vbk thin neck,way way better i can play twice as fast,sound like a totaly different guitarist,best thing i ever done.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Luckily I have good fretwork on mine, no sharp edges. All they needed was a good polish with 0000 grade steel wool. What's wrong with yours?
alot of them are sharp, i havent polished them yet so well see on my next string change
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
.... but if the pain persists for more than a week or two .....!
then you have been playing for a week or two too long. If it hurts, stop. Playing through pain merely results in more and more damage to your hands. Stop, warm up properly, and if it still hurts see a doc/change guitars/change your playing style.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
then you have been playing for a week or two too long. If it hurts, stop. Playing through pain merely results in more and more damage to your hands. Stop, warm up properly, and if it still hurts see a doc/change guitars/change your playing style.
Exactly. I just did yet another test, and I've decided I'm gonna try and trade it for a JS2000 or 1200 or 1000WH, or AT300.
Look for it on the classifieds!
smitty
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Wizards are too thin for me...That's partially why I ended up selling my RG770 and the black 550 I owned. Plus, IMHO, every guitar I've played with a super thin neck has a thinner sound.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Dee

Turn the bass up dude!
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyCakes View Post
alot of them are sharp, i havent polished them yet so well see on my next string change
No sh*t? Maybe I'm lucky or something but mine were good straight out the box except they felt slow because of the clearcoat on them. As soon as I polished it away with steel wool (it took bloody ages!) it was much improved. The edges were never sharp at all, though, the fretwork was just like my original RG550 and RG750. Pretty funny that they used the original style fretwork on the reissues rather than the Prestige finishing of today. Heh.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Turn the bass up dude!
Meh..that's what my teacher says to do too, but I guess I side with the tone purists on this one. If I can't "feel" the thickness through the neck, then the neck is too thin for me. It's really hard to describe. I like to work with a solid sound as my foundation, then work from there.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Dee

Yeah, I was just kidding, mate.

Buy a 7-string!

Resonance!
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Meh..that's what my teacher says to do too, but I guess I side with the tone purists on this one. If I can't "feel" the thickness through the neck, then the neck is too thin for me. It's really hard to describe. I like to work with a solid sound as my foundation, then work from there.
Sounds like you've been spending too much time on thegearpage
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 AM

hmm, my thumbs hurts during live shows or when im moving around a lot...playing in front of people i tend to move around a lot(and i mean like my entire body, jumpin, stompin, etc) and i notice my thumb hurts when doing that...but not so much just sitting here and playing it..

another similar thing i knoticed, is that when i switch to my 350 or rg3, after playing the 20th i will look at it negatively or positively...for example. im playin the 20th, im pumped in my playing and having a lot of fun, then i go to the 350 or rg3 and its just as good, only thing i knoitice is the difference from the edge to the edge 3 and hardtail...sometimes, im not really feelin it, due to the amp(theres just somedays when i hate the same tone i loved the day before) and that kills it for me, and when i switch guitars i start to knotice things and that bugs me, like ill notice the back of the neck isnt as smooth or the action could be better etc. and that kills it...but i havent yet been annoyed with the 550 except that its not aanj...once so far..that doesnt really bug me at all
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritar View Post
hmm, my thumbs hurts during live shows or when im moving around a lot...playing in front of people i tend to move around a lot(and i mean like my entire body, jumpin, stompin, etc) and i notice my thumb hurts when doing that...but not so much just sitting here and playing it..

another similar thing i knoticed, is that when i switch to my 350 or rg3, after playing the 20th i will look at it negatively or positively...for example. im playin the 20th, im pumped in my playing and having a lot of fun, then i go to the 350 or rg3 and its just as good, only thing i knoitice is the difference from the edge to the edge 3 and hardtail...sometimes, im not really feelin it, due to the amp(theres just somedays when i hate the same tone i loved the day before) and that kills it for me, and when i switch guitars i start to knotice things and that bugs me, like ill notice the back of the neck isnt as smooth or the action could be better etc. and that kills it...but i havent yet been annoyed with the 550 except that its not aanj...once so far..that doesnt really bug me at all
I know exactly what you mean dude.
smitty
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM

At first when I got RG750 I was not used to the Wizard I its been years since I even picked up an RG. I was more used to my fender's neck and the more I played the 750 the more I got used to the thin neck and now I love it. Whats strange is picking up another guitar after playing the 750 is so strange.
How ever I love my RG750. I just bought a super wizard neck looking forward to see how that feels.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM

Yeah, I find my hand gets tired very quickly playing the Wizard. The Ultra was my favortite neck.

Tags
jem neck , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , neck joint , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , steel wool , super wizard neck , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode