RG550 Bad Horsie refinish - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

RG550 Bad Horsie refinish

I refinished an RG550 body I bought on the "bay" and stained it walnut. I rerouted it to fit a Kramer 24 fret neck, because I like a thicker neck than the Wizards. Evolution in the bridge, Breed in the neck (smooth), and just stock in the middle (hardly ever use). I screwed up ordering the pickups and ended up with three different colors, cream, white, and yellow, but it adds character. This thing rips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 AM

Re: RG550 Bad Horsie refinish

interesting - i'll bet it plays great.
i think the yellow adds an extra "something" to it. any color would have worked. i would have gone with creme/blk in the bridge or neck and left the others either all white, all creme or all black. i did that on my RGA121 - it looks nice and sets it apart a little from everything else.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I had intended on all white. I ordered the Evo bridge in white, but the dumb *&# that sold it to me was color blind and it turned out cream. So, I just went to a store and bought their yellow Breed instead of ordering a white one online.

Thanks for the compliments.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:05 PM

The trem looks weird, what is it?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Thats no trem from Ibanez
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 PM

i think thats a 60 dollar unnamed schaller.....they look beefy
nice job on the guitar..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 1

Very cool. Thats what a parts mutt should look like! Hope it plays well!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 1

You should name it the t1_frankenschaller. !!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky_tonk
i think thats a 60 dollar unnamed schaller.....they look beefy
nice job on the guitar..
Id have kept the original Edge on that beast...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Id have kept the original Edge on that beast...
I think he replaced it because the radius did not near match. It looks like that neck has a much smaller radius than a wizard from the pictures... it looks clear but it may be tough to tell.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 PM

That looks sweet! Hope it plays as well!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM

it looks nice but I don't like the headstock
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I actually just swapped that bridge out for a black one I had laying around. That way it'll match the black tuners on the neck and stock black knobs.

I put the chrome one on this project I got going. The body is a little shakey, but it was the first body I ever cut from scratch. It use to be all mahogany, but the tone sucked so I shaved 3/8" off the top and put on a maple cap. I can't wait to finish it and string it up. I traced my buddy's Sabre series to get the shape, again a less than perfect job. It's close to an N4 Washburn body. I think I need to take a little more out of the upper contour/curve. I'm waiting on a single coil to come in for the neck. Push/pull pot will be my selector switch. No tone, very basic

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

The trem was just a licensed one I got on-line, as was the black one I switched out. Both stayed in tune fine with tons of dive bombs.

The "Mutt" plays awesome thanks. Franken-guitars always end up awesome!

I couldn't keep the original trem because I just bought the wired body off the "Bay"

I do agree the headstock doesn't match, but I really wanted the maple neck, and I got a major deal on the Kramer neck.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1r12003
I had intended on all white. I ordered the Evo bridge in white, but the dumb *&# that sold it to me was color blind and it turned out cream. So, I just went to a store and bought their yellow Breed instead of ordering a white one online.

Thanks for the compliments.
i had a similar problem with an online store sending me 4, yeah FOUR, pups reg spaced when i specifically asked for F spaced only to find out after i got them that they didn't have the F spaced. i used them any way and they were fine.
sometimes the mutt guitars can be your best friend. i have a guitar i'm working with that has the ugliest finish you've ever seen, a Chandler neck, Robin body, Edge trem, and just an old Holdsworth bridge pup with a volume knob and it is one cool axe. you can see it in the pic on the floor with the scraped body and a stain on it here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v334/s...t=DSC00497.jpg
it originally had an 80's t!tty pink paint job that my brother had sanded with like 40 grit paper (hence the scraped look) and stained very half-hazardly to end up with what you see now. i think of it as the "frayed ends of sanity" finish which is very fitting if you have ever met my bro . the last time i had it playable it really ROCKED! i might actually do a little work on it and have it playable for my gigs this weekend as i haven't used it on stage yet.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa

Tags
bridge pup , edge trem , evo bridge , fret neck , maple neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode