RG550 high action problem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

RG550 high action problem

I recently got an rg 550 for a fairly good price. Once I looked at it closer, I found that the action was fairly high from around the 12th fret down. In order to get a decent action, I have to lower the bridge to the point that the saddle insert rectangle goes under the cavity rout. I suspect the neck must be shimmed to fix this problem because it is straight and it seems the bridge height is the problem. I have 2 weeks to return it and I would rather return it if shimming it is indeed the solution. If anyone is willing to help I would appreciate it and I will also post pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Re: RG550 high action problem

If the neck's flat and the bridge is too low, then it probably does need a paper shim. Pretty common thing, ibanez even installs them when needed. Not something I'd return it for, personally. Where'd you get it, won't they do some extra setup befor you decide? Then you can at least try it out then return it if you want.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 PM

You can do it yourself, or at least try to in my case or just take to a reputable tech and have him do a setup on it, best money I spent on the Herc, already recording with it!!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

All the info you need:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys , but I'm gonna return it, I got it for 770 bucks, which is a strange coincidence because I got my rg 770 for 550 bucks. I'd rather pay more for for a 550 that is properly setup, because this one has enough space for about 2 U.S. quarters at the 12th fret when the bridge is almost bottomed out and there is a definite angle in the string height. My 770 has perfect action, one quarter (I definitely need to buy a proper ruler), and it is consistent up till the 24th fret with the trem at the appropriate height. Comparing the two the 550 doesn't cut it. There are good deals for 550's (I bought a reissue btw) floating around for between 8 and 9 hundred which I would be willing to spend. I spent 4 years hunting for this one, and I can wait 4 more.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
If the neck's flat and the bridge is too low, then it probably does need a paper shim. Pretty common thing, ibanez even installs them when needed. Not something I'd return it for, personally. Where'd you get it, won't they do some extra setup befor you decide? Then you can at least try it out then return it if you want.
I got it at Guitar Center, they wanted 70 bucks minimum to set it up (non negotiable even after I explained my situation to customer service). The only reason I bought from GC is because of their consistent return policy, other stores have charged me shipping, restock, other bull**** fees even if something (knob, headstock, etc.) got busted in shipping.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Why return a perfectly good guitar for something you could, and shoukd , learn to fix?

However, being a used guitar--$770.00 is quite a bit overpriced for a 550.

The only recent 550 I've seen for that much was a 550DX PN--still overpriced.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Why return a perfectly good guitar for something you could, and shoukd , learn to fix?

However, being a used guitar--$770.00 is quite a bit overpriced for a 550.

The only recent 550 I've seen for that much was a 550DX PN--still overpriced.
I set it up one last time, and I'm gonna posts pics in an hour or so. I'm gonna take it to a tech I know and see what he says as well. I havent seen a 550 reissue go for less than 7 recently unless it was USED used. mine is in fairly decent condition beside playing scratches on the pick-guard. I took the trem out and there is no wear on it or the posts. What would you say a good price for an rfr reisuue of the 550 would be?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

sorry in case you already got it, but I forgot to make my last post a reply. Here it is again: I set it up one last time, and I'm gonna posts pics in an hour or so. I'm gonna take it to a tech I know and see what he says as well. I havent seen a 550 reissue go for less than 7 recently unless it was USED used. mine is in fairly decent condition beside playing scratches on the pick-guard. I took the trem out and there is no wear on it or the posts. What would you say a good price for an rfr reisuue of the 550 would be?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

here are the pics they are a bit blurry so I'm postin ones of my 770 of comparison

770 action (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC01906.jpg

770 bridge (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC01915.jpg

550 bridge closeup (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC01893.jpg

550 bridge (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC01882.jpg

550 action (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...e/DSC01879.jpg
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 770edge View Post
sorry in case you already got it, but I forgot to make my last post a reply. Here it is again: I set it up one last time, and I'm gonna posts pics in an hour or so. I'm gonna take it to a tech I know and see what he says as well. I havent seen a 550 reissue go for less than 7 recently unless it was USED used. mine is in fairly decent condition beside playing scratches on the pick-guard. I took the trem out and there is no wear on it or the posts. What would you say a good price for an rfr reisuue of the 550 would be?
Ahhhhh--I see. You didn't mention it was a reissue.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

Pics are too blurry to be of much use, but it looks like you just need to do a proper setup.
Make sure to turn the spring claw screws in a turn or two between tuning to get that baseplate level--looks like that's the issue.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 2

If you haven't taken it to a tech yet, I certainly wouldn't (especially ANYONE at GC). Most tech's have no idea how to set up an Ibby......they have a tendency to set them up like a strat.

Doing a great setup is mandatory on ANY bolt-on neck guitar regardless of the brand. Ibanez is good about getting them playable from the factory, but that's about it. Ibanez does a better job than most other high volume companies.

We can absolutely guide you through the process if you want, but you really need to post some good, visible pictures.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Pics are too blurry to be of much use, but it looks like you just need to do a proper setup.
Make sure to turn the spring claw screws in a turn or two between tuning to get that baseplate level--looks like that's the issue.
The baseplate is leveled and the saddles are parallel to the body. The picture are a bit too blurry but the base plate is under the rout on the low e side at this point. I'm curious as to what kind of ruler I would need to measure string action so i could just post the measurements, any suggestions?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Ill definitely try to get better pics, and I know GC hires quacks a lot of the time. The guy I'm going to doesn't work for GC, and I'm only gonna ask him a couple questions as far as action and shimming goes.

Tags
action , edge tremolo , rg550 20th anniversary , roadflare , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode