Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG550 high action problem

10K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  770edge 
#1 ·
I recently got an rg 550 for a fairly good price. Once I looked at it closer, I found that the action was fairly high from around the 12th fret down. In order to get a decent action, I have to lower the bridge to the point that the saddle insert rectangle goes under the cavity rout. I suspect the neck must be shimmed to fix this problem because it is straight and it seems the bridge height is the problem. I have 2 weeks to return it and I would rather return it if shimming it is indeed the solution. If anyone is willing to help I would appreciate it and I will also post pictures.

#2 ·
If the neck's flat and the bridge is too low, then it probably does need a paper shim. Pretty common thing, ibanez even installs them when needed. Not something I'd return it for, personally. Where'd you get it, won't they do some extra setup befor you decide? Then you can at least try it out then return it if you want.

#6 ·
I got it at Guitar Center, they wanted 70 bucks minimum to set it up (non negotiable even after I explained my situation to customer service). The only reason I bought from GC is because of their consistent return policy, other stores have charged me shipping, restock, other bull**** fees even if something (knob, headstock, etc.) got busted in shipping.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help guys , but I'm gonna return it, I got it for 770 bucks, which is a strange coincidence because I got my rg 770 for 550 bucks. I'd rather pay more for for a 550 that is properly setup, because this one has enough space for about 2 U.S. quarters at the 12th fret when the bridge is almost bottomed out and there is a definite angle in the string height. My 770 has perfect action, one quarter (I definitely need to buy a proper ruler), and it is consistent up till the 24th fret with the trem at the appropriate height. Comparing the two the 550 doesn't cut it. There are good deals for 550's (I bought a reissue btw) floating around for between 8 and 9 hundred which I would be willing to spend. I spent 4 years hunting for this one, and I can wait 4 more.

#8 ·
I set it up one last time, and I'm gonna posts pics in an hour or so. I'm gonna take it to a tech I know and see what he says as well. I havent seen a 550 reissue go for less than 7 recently unless it was USED used. mine is in fairly decent condition beside playing scratches on the pick-guard. I took the trem out and there is no wear on it or the posts. What would you say a good price for an rfr reisuue of the 550 would be?

#9 ·
sorry in case you already got it, but I forgot to make my last post a reply. Here it is again: I set it up one last time, and I'm gonna posts pics in an hour or so. I'm gonna take it to a tech I know and see what he says as well. I havent seen a 550 reissue go for less than 7 recently unless it was USED used. mine is in fairly decent condition beside playing scratches on the pick-guard. I took the trem out and there is no wear on it or the posts. What would you say a good price for an rfr reisuue of the 550 would be?

#10 ·
here are the pics they are a bit blurry so I'm postin ones of my 770 of comparison

770 action (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj495/770edge/DSC01906.jpg

770 bridge (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj495/770edge/DSC01915.jpg

550 bridge closeup (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj495/770edge/DSC01893.jpg

550 bridge (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj495/770edge/DSC01882.jpg

550 action (low e side): http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj495/770edge/DSC01879.jpg

#14 ·
The baseplate is leveled and the saddles are parallel to the body. The picture are a bit too blurry but the base plate is under the rout on the low e side at this point. I'm curious as to what kind of ruler I would need to measure string action so i could just post the measurements, any suggestions?

#13 ·
If you haven't taken it to a tech yet, I certainly wouldn't (especially ANYONE at GC). Most tech's have no idea how to set up an Ibby......they have a tendency to set them up like a strat.

Doing a great setup is mandatory on ANY bolt-on neck guitar regardless of the brand. Ibanez is good about getting them playable from the factory, but that's about it. Ibanez does a better job than most other high volume companies.

We can absolutely guide you through the process if you want, but you really need to post some good, visible pictures.

#16 ·
#17 ·
The last pic of the bridge looks like you've got it about perfect. Looks almost level.
on the Edge trem, you want the baseplate and knife edges parallel to the body. The top of the trem is wedge-shaped, so don't go by that.

Looks like you just need to get the correct height now.
Lower the trem posts as far as you can before the strings buzz.
Remember that there are locking inserts inside the posts, so loosen those first.

#18 ·
Look are you shure that your neck is dead straight? I mean this really looks a lot and to lower your action you must adjust the truss rod as well. As far as i know and the way i set up my guitars, basically to lower the action near the headstock and about lets say 9th fret you have to tighten your truss rod, and if you want to lower your action at the high frets you need to lower the bridge. Most of the guys here have a lot more experience than me, but this is the way i set all my guitars and it works just fine. I like lowest possible action with fret buzz as far as you can't hear it when plugged into the amp. This of course makes your sustain shorter but this is the way i like it to be you just look at the string and its fretted. So i persume that you'd need to tighten your truss rod. You better give the guitar to someone who knows how to set up a guitar properly but if you are willing to try yourself and deal with the rod, just make short turns and leave it for a few minutes, some people recommend more but with my rg a few minutes are just fine and then see how it is. You can also read the link that AlaskaBat gave you.
Good luck!

#19 ·
The thing is that at that height the stud insert rectangles are under the rout. I'm not sure if I should lower it more. Also, after checking, the bridge is level the picture was taken at an angle where it seems the bottom of the trem plate is above the rout in the back, but it isn't. So basically what I need to know is should I go lower even though it is already lower than on an average ibanez with an edge trem on it?

#20 ·
If you mean the little rectangles on the side which are the knife edges pressed into the base, all of mine are sunk into the rout, below the top of the guitar. You might be able to go a bit lower, maybe. You can lower the trem until the two studs bottom out in their inserts, and there's no problem with that unless you need to go further for lower action. That would be the point where you would move on to a neck shim. If the action is good for you now and the only thing you're worried about is the knife edges sunk into the rout, don't worry about it. If your other guitar has a higher bridge but same action, it just means the neck is at a different angle. Every guitar needs it's own adjustment.

#22 ·
Well the trem is bottomed out (I cannot move it up an down) and now the action is only close to th 770. I sighted the neck and it is dead straight no reilief . I apologize to all those who invested their time to help, but I'd rather just pay another 50 bucks for a 550 I wouldn't have to shim.

#25 ·
Just so that you understand......a shim is not a bad thing. Needing one is not a defect in the guitar. If your 550 has the action you love, I'll bet $100 it has a shim. All Ibbys with a great setup do. I've shimmed five of mine that didn't come with one from the factory. Now all of my guitars have neck shims. It's an extremely easy process that you can do in less than 10 minutes.

You really do want to raise the bridge some. Having it that deep in the pocket can be unwanted for a couple of reasons.

1. no pull-up range on the trem
2. the strings are too close to the pickups to be able to adjust them (the pickups) properly.

I urge you to save your money. You already paid a LOT for that 770. If your willing to do the shim (it really is easy) that guitar will more than likely be your main axe!!!! You'll also get the added benefit of knowing how to do a FULL setup on any bolt-on guitars you own in the future.

Also, to calm your nerves. there's very little danger of doing any damage to your guitar when shimming it yourself.

#24 ·
Shimming is not a big deal. All three of my guitars have them and as someone else pointed out; many come from the factory shimmed. If you really like the guitar, why return it for such a simple thing that's fixed in 15 minutes with a piece of paper?
Well the fretboard is pretty dirty in some spots, it looks like the frets need to be leveled because they are dented pretty bad in some places (just noticed yesterday), and the case reeks (cigarettes or chemicals not sure) which I have ignored until now. For another 50 bucks I think a new one is worth it. Im not against shimming in particular but the other things just pushed me over the edge I didn't mention them because they seemed minor alone, but not altogether. It was a tough decision every time I look at it, glowing in the unearthly red that makes everything around it look dul,l I keep thinking I'll probably never find another one but they are out there and I will. Someone else will pick this one up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.