RG550 mod help.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

RG550 mod help....

Hi -
I have an RG550 that i would like to mod alittle. As of now, i have 2 hums, with no single coil connected to a 3-way switch. I don't use the tone knob and want to add a mini switch to "coil-tap" the hums to sound like single coils (not sure if this is meant by coil-tap).

Question: Anyway, i can just replace the tone knob with the mini switch correct (with the appropriate wiring of course). However i found this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...aswitches.html
Is this the same thing as what i mentioned above? If so, i could just replace my 3-way with this. (would have a hole in my pickguard where the tone knob used to be).

thanks

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:57 PM

Re: RG550 mod help....

you could get this to replace your tone controll.....and wire it to split your coils.plus still have your tone http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...trol_Pots.html

this is your best way...as i think the mini switch would be to small to reuse your existing hole......and the switch idea leaves you with a hole too
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM

I have something similar, but I just use either all neck or all bridge. I have to flip my 5-way switch from one end to the other, but it's really not that far. I replaced my regular volume with a push/pull pot for coil splitting, so I can just pull up on the volume to split the coils. That still gives me 4 different settings, full neck humbucker, split neck, full bridge, and split bridge.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
t1r12003 - in your setup, what does the middle position do in both the split and non-split configuration? Are they the same?

jeff
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi-
Is it possible to use a mini-switch in place of the tone knob or is the hole just too large?

thanks

jeff

Tags
coil split , coil splitting , neck humbucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode