RG550, no strings - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

RG550, no strings

Okay, I rec'd an RG550 that's been stored without strings for a few years. I've read the instructions here, http://www.jemsite.com/tech/3other.htm#removestrings, as well as a number of similarly related things from Ibanezrules.

Any other tips or advice ??

When I tried to correct the angle of the trem by hand, it pops off one of it's posts (or the other, but not both so far). I need to do this according to the Ibanezrules steps before re-stringing it. Then again, using the tremolo bar or a wood shim might not cause it to pop off since the movement will be straight or even. Obviously when I'm pressing it, I'm not doing it evenly.

Also, I know to adjust the fine-tuners to approx middle of their travel but what about the saddles ?? Leave 'em alone or start them at the same position (lined up with each other ??). I suspect I shouldn't touch the saddles at this point.

Hopefully no truss rod adjustments will be necessary !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Re: RG550, no strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
...what about the saddles ?? Leave 'em alone or start them at the same position (lined up with each other ??)
start setting them like these from IbanezRules:

then check the intonation. you'll be at a good point, if you're using .9s.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Looks like they're set somewhat related to the string guage. D and G appear to be lined up ??
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Okay, using the tremolo seems like it will work. Need to verify the angle 'cause I know some of the different trems sit completely parallel while others are shaped such that they look angled, but their bottom plate is in fact parallel. I've got various things printed off... with pictures...

Not sure how to wedge the tremolo into position though. I need to get shims that will fit in between the springs in order to hold it where I need it !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 AM

If I'm reading your post right you said you are trying to correct the trem angle without strings on it? If this is correct you need strings on it 1st and foremost or you'll never get anywhere. You have to get the strings in tune before you can adjust the trem anglre and you do that with the spring claw.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

One step at a time, though the steps don't go into detail too much here, but it's this part:

Quote:
I've Removed All the Strings - HELP!

Fortunately there is hope. What you need to do is temporarily block the tremolo in a neutral position, then restring the guitar, until the tremolo is floating again. Once leveled out the tremolo angle can be set again.
I'm not exactly sure what the neutral position should be though. I can find different pictures that seem to show different positions or angles, so I'm confused and going to take it slow. If you look at the 'drawings' on this page, http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1, the entire tremolo unit is recessed into the cavity quite a bit.

I ended up using bottle caps inside the tremolo cavity (read that at Ibanezrules, I believe), strung it up, and removed the bottle caps and it's getting there... The string height is currently too high, but yesterday was a long day, I was tired last night, and had to get up early this morning, so I forced myself to stop and work on it more this afternoon/evening.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM

you see the little black rectangle right on the side edge of this trem?

that's one of the trem's knives. you want it to be set parallel to the top of your guitar, or perpendicular to the post it rocks against. like that:

that's the right angle to set your trem.

(pics from IbanezRules.com)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Smile Re: RG550, no strings

Hey its realy not so bad I ve made this several times not by mistake but to clean of the fretboard properly. You can just put some plastic bottel caps under the trem like its shown here http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm and then restring it thats all! You will spent some time tuning but it will be less then one h. :-)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't find that page or notes that mentioned using bottle caps but that's where I got the idea from. Anyway, it's all taken care of now. Got the string height adjusted with the help of my neighbor. He said it might be too low, but I don't get any string buzzing so I'm leaving well enough alone.

Might have to do that again though 'cause I'm getting some buzzing out of the bridge pickup. It might be because I'm close to my PC and monitor though, so I need to rule that out. Then again, if the pickup needs it's wiring "fixed", that's not something I can do anyway. First thing I'll check is the grounding though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Yep, that buzzing is most likely from objects being too close to your single coil.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

It only buzzes when the 5-way is in the bridge position. Looking at the diagram, all the way towards the jack is bridge only; up one notch is half the bridge humbucker + the middle single coil; and so on...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

The buzzing does occur in all (5) positions, as it turns out. I turned off the flourescent lights as well as my monitor, but not the PC yet, and it still buzzes. Touching metal parts of the guitar doesn't change *anything*. Need to try a different cord next as well as one of the other guitars to rule out the amp itself !

The stock bridge pickup has been replaced so the wiring might be at fault.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge position , rod adjustment , string guage , tremolo angle , tremolo bar , tremolo cavity , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode