RG550, overrated? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: RG550, overrated?

Tried many brands, still playing Rg's after 19 years.
Blows away, many other brands. Stays in tune the best of all the others.
With some wirring mods I can get all the tones that I want.
It is the most underrated guitar ...

Edit:
Dont know why is all the hate about the basswood. Man this wood can sing for sure.
The midds are great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 AM

This is a very difficult question, as new RG's for example have gone up in price as well (inflation). It really all depends on what you are looking for in YOUR guitar and what YOU are willing to pay for the sound that you want. Are you willing to put up so much cash to buy and old second hand guitar or do you want a brand new one?

Obviously anyone buying a guitar says it's the guitar he likes most and it plays the best. However since most of us have several I do not think there is one perfect guitar. Steve Luthaker said: everyday it can be under slightly different even when using the same guitar and setup.
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
rg550's came with rosewood boards too lol.

only the black ones though...i'm not a fan of black guitars as they show fingerprints so easily...lol...d.m.
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouke74 View Post
This is a very difficult question, as new RG's for example have gone up in price as well (inflation). It really all depends on what you are looking for in YOUR guitar and what YOU are willing to pay for the sound that you want. Are you willing to put up so much cash to buy and old second hand guitar or do you want a brand new one?

Obviously anyone buying a guitar says it's the guitar he likes most and it plays the best. However since most of us have several I do not think there is one perfect guitar. Steve Luthaker said: everyday it can be under slightly different even when using the same guitar and setup.
steve is correct...i own a fender strat, several jackson dinkies, 2 sabers, an esp custom, and 3 rgs...d.m.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitar View Post
Tried many brands, still playing Rg's after 19 years.
Blows away, many other brands. Stays in tune the best of all the others.
With some wirring mods I can get all the tones that I want.
It is the most underrated guitar ...

Edit:
Dont know why is all the hate about the basswood. Man this wood can sing for sure.
The midds are great!
I have an RG1570 that I like more than my JEM7V. To me, a "Prestige" basswood RG kicks the crap out of alder and mahogany in distortion mode, which is probably why I like my 1570 more than my JEM7V when it comes to high-gain solos. However, alder sounds a little warmer in the clean channel.

As for "wiring mods" on H-S-H guitars, the Monterey area where I reside is in dire need of a tech who can do that. The techs and luthiers I've tried are only knowledgeable with Gibson and Fender A tech attempted to wire my JEM like the EGEN18, and even with the wiring diagram, he had issues. The only person I know in Monterey who's well versed in that kind of stuff is Bill Delap, who was doing wild pup configurations when he was a kid, and that was off the cuff with no wiring diagrams. Unfortunately, ever since he started to build guitars for guys like Allan Holdsworth, he's no longer available for routine repairs and mods
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
only the black ones though...i'm not a fan of black guitars as they show fingerprints so easily...lol...d.m.
haha, I hate to be a nay sayer... but NAY GOOD SIR! (haha I know most are black, theres a few oddballs from the late 80s though!)

post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Out of my current guitar line up, and much to my surprise, the one I play the most is the green one! And much to my chagrin I might add.

RG1550, RG570, JEM 7V, Les Paul Trad. Pro, Yamaha
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 AM

love the sour apple sparkle...my main one is a mutt in seafoam/surf green...second is a 92 stripped finish 570...

believe me if i would have run across a roadflare red with rosewood fretboard in atlanta i would have bought it as soon as i saw it...lol...d.m.
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
haha, I hate to be a nay sayer... but NAY GOOD SIR! (haha I know most are black, theres a few oddballs from the late 80s though!)

You bastard owning such a nice 550
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer3d View Post
Out of my current guitar line up, and much to my surprise, the one I play the most is the green one! And much to my chagrin I might add.

RG1550, RG570, JEM 7V, Les Paul Trad. Pro, Yamaha
I have the 1550 too. Did you keep the V7/V8 pups?
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
love the sour apple sparkle...my main one is a mutt in seafoam/surf green...second is a 92 stripped finish 570...
Pictures! ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I have the 1550 too. Did you keep the V7/V8 pups?
Yes, but I tend to rely on the rhythm pu. Would like to try something like a PAF for the bridge.
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Compared to the price tag on older starts, teles, les Paul's etc cant anyone with an objective view at things call old RG's anything but extremely underrated.

But I would personally prefer to call those starts, teles etc extremely overrated instead.
Vintage guitars do most of the time have a sound that modern guitars don't have, but the "vintage hype prices" are just sort of silly in my opinion.

In general, unless the guitar was crap to begin with, do guitars get better the more the are used. The more you play it the better it gets.

I have RG's from all different years, from 87 to now, and I can't really say that the older are any better than new ones. Some years are, well..., less good. But no year stands out as a lot better from all the other years. There are birds and fishes in all years.

It sort of as the vintage strats, teles etc, some are great and some are just crap.
But people who get and old one just love to spread the word of how good it is, glorifying things seem to make us humans feel good about our selfs.

/Magnus
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM

hope this works...d.m.

Last edited by diablomozart; 10-14-2014 at 11:30 PM.
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
...my main one is a mutt in seafoam/surf green....
Oh right! I've seen that one before in another thread. Pretty cool! ^ ^
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Compared to the price tag on older starts, teles, les Paul's etc cant anyone with an objective view at things call old RG's anything but extremely underrated.

But I would personally prefer to call those starts, teles etc extremely overrated instead.
Vintage guitars do most of the time have a sound that modern guitars don't have, but the "vintage hype prices" are just sort of silly in my opinion.

In general, unless the guitar was crap to begin with, do guitars get better the more the are used. The more you play it the better it gets.

I have RG's from all different years, from 87 to now, and I can't really say that the older are any better than new ones. Some years are, well..., less good. But no year stands out as a lot better from all the other years. There are birds and fishes in all years.

It sort of as the vintage strats, teles etc, some are great and some are just crap.
But people who get and old one just love to spread the word of how good it is, glorifying things seem to make us humans feel good about our selfs.

/Magnus
I thought the same thing. Old MIJ ibbys are awesome guitars (The oldest I've actually had the pleasure of even trying out at a shop was the rereleased 770 from 00-01) but with the price point here in Japan so low on older ibbys, it's easy to get an amazing guitar at a really good price. I've seen some older RGs online go for around the equivalent of 300 USD, in really good condition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode