RG550, overrated? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: RG550, overrated?

I guess the RG's problem is that they don't have a specific character as the strats and LPs have.
But I own a RG550 and will never sell it excepted if this would be against food if I'm overdue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
I guess the RG's problem is that they don't have a specific character as the strats and LPs have.
But I own a RG550 and will never sell it excepted if this would be against food if I'm overdue...
Just curious (so I'm not trying to argue with you), what sort of character does strats or LP's have that RG's lack in your opinion? The only thing I can see that is different are "have been around longer".

/Magnus
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Just curious (so I'm not trying to argue with you), what sort of character does strats or LP's have that RG's lack in your opinion? The only thing I can see that is different are "have been around longer".
/Magnus
I'm not talking about musical or sonic character (don't get me wrong), but about the historic character (the LPs and Strats are way more popular, have been around longer).

The RGs are to the eyes of too many guitarists shred guitars. This is what causes, to me, the unbalance between the RG lovers that want the RGs to be highly rated and the RG haters that think the RGs are overrated...
post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM

agreed many consider them shredder guitars (and they are great for that without question)...but let them miss out on all the great and diverse tones while we scoop them up for less money...at least until the general public gets wise to it...so buy em up boys...lol...d.m.
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Seems for some reson the 550 costs more then the 570, i think even without the maple fretboard, or sellers want's more anyway. Same guitar,so that's strange. I mean a 550 with rosewood fretboard is a 570 more or less. But not sure it's overrated,good guitars,so is 570,the 550 might be overrated compared to the 505 or 570.
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 AM

You're insane. My '87 550 was one of the nicest guitars i ever owned. If anything i think the more "aged" they get, the better.
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 PM

I recently salvaged a rare lefty 550 that needed a bit a work to get playable; and it's still pretty beat to hell I must say. It could use a fret job and maybe a refinish on the back of the neck and body but after cleaning it up and replacing the 5 way switch and adding some locking nut pads I really dig it. The edge, the maple board + older v1,v2,s1 pickups are the big selling point for me. It's a signature Ibanez sound, covers humbucking low end and sparkling single coil tone really well. It was probably the most versatile stock production guitar when it was launched and I think the hype is warranted after playing mine.
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:44 AM

Rg550 is never overrated... Its ok for its price... How about this... Is ibanez jem overrated? Haha
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 03:02 PM

My wife got my 1990 550 for 400 bucks with case shipped, and I won an auction for a 2018 genisis for 600 shipped.

The prices are great values if your are patient and look for them.

Over/under rated depends on who you ask.

My opinion for example.
I hate Les Paul's, I hate strats and I hate teles.
Most people Say they are the best guitars ever.

Les Paul's are uncomfortable for me, I've never heard a strat that didn't remind me of a whiny child, and teles are ugly.

That's just got opinions go. They are only right to the person who has the opinion of is of a like mind set.

I absolutely love my 550s. I currently have 4 of them.
Yes, they were meant for a specific kind of sound, but so is everything else.
The fact you can choose your own pickups if you want, on a y guitar, means you choose your own sound too.

I will say that Alot of what the rg line turned into during the 2000s was more directed at metal and thrash, sure. But they still had enough verity to appeal to almost everyone at least slightly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode