RG550 Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

RG550 Question

Howdy-

First time posting. Own a few Ibbys but considering my first Ibby "pointy" guitar. Looking at a 1990 or 91 RG550. Wondering if the neck warpage issue that I heard about back in the day (due to such a thin-neck) was widespread or isolated to a certain production run?

If the neck is currently straight and true, would you think that it's "safe" to presume it will remain so if one doesn't expose it to extreme environments? My plan is to use it to replace another Floyd equipped guitar. It will get played several times a week and not be a 'case queen.'

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Tim Allums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: RG550 Question

I've got 4 RGs from the late 80s/early 90s and 3 of them are perfect. One is warped, but spent a long while without being under tension in need of a headstock repair. Those that have been looked after are pretty much as good as the day I got them all.

That said, the new RG655 might be able to tempt you...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've got 4 RGs from the late 80s/early 90s and 3 of them are perfect. One is warped, but spent a long while without being under tension in need of a headstock repair. Those that have been looked after are pretty much as good as the day I got them all.

That said, the new RG655 might be able to tempt you...
I Googled that RG655... Nice. Only wanting to spend $500-ish for a guitar that won't leave the house... It's just for noodling...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM

Unless you're attached to the pickguard or maple fretboard, a 560 or a 570 can usually be had for cheaper. I have a 92 RG565 and the neck is in perfect shape. It's traveled the full horizontal distance of the US from PA to CA before I bought it from the last owner who lives about 400 miles north of me. Neck was perfectly straight when I picked the guitar up, still is. It has the hairline crack behind the nut that they tend to get, but that's a symptom of the locking nut bolts being tightened too much when it was attached to the neck. The crack hasn't moved at all and doesn't affect the sound or tuning of the guitar at all.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoC View Post
Unless you're attached to the pickguard or maple fretboard, a 560 or a 570 can usually be had for cheaper. I have a 92 RG565 and the neck is in perfect shape. It's traveled the full horizontal distance of the US from PA to CA before I bought it from the last owner who lives about 400 miles north of me. Neck was perfectly straight when I picked the guitar up, still is. It has the hairline crack behind the nut that they tend to get, but that's a symptom of the locking nut bolts being tightened too much when it was attached to the neck. The crack hasn't moved at all and doesn't affect the sound or tuning of the guitar at all.
Cool. Not attached to maple neck or pickguard. I'll add that to the list of possibilities.

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timallums View Post
Cool. Not attached to maple neck or pickguard. I'll add that to the list of possibilities.

Thanks!
You can find most of the more common 5xx models in your price range, such as 550, 560, 570, 520qs (mahogany body). Possibly 565 depending on condition and if you're lucky, but rarer than the others. Maybe some 7xx models too such as 750, 760 and 770, but again depending on condition / if you're lucky! I'd keep an eye out for them all locally if you're looking for one of those older MIJ RGs!

You can also check out those models on Ibanez Wiki to see what models/specs you like most.

Tags
rg550 neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode