RG550 vs RG 3120 string tension - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

RG550 vs RG 3120 string tension

hey guys

i recently switched to 11`s on my `00 RG3120. It is awesome and i did this also with my `04 RG1527. they have the same feel regarding string tension.
Did the same with my `93 RG550 as well but on this one it`s very very different. It feels like it has a lot more string tension and it`s very unsmooth to play ("unsmooth" :P). It`s really hard to play and i even feel like i lose grip on the string when bending - like the string would slip away under my finger. String action isn`t too low and the set up is pretty much the same on every guitar that i use so i thought this may have to do with the springs?
Do springs affect the string tension when bending / doing vibrato?
I am looking for an in between tension of .010 and .011 - like the feel on my 3120 and 1527.
I use 4 springs for it: 3 are straight and 1 spring is diagonal. I did the same on my 3120 though and it is very different. Maybe different springs?
Same tuning on every guitar (except 7 string with a 7th of course).

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3120 , 550 , spring tension , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode