Rg550 xx VS. RG2550z - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Rg550 xx VS. RG2550z

I've got the option for one or the other in a trade. What are some thoughts on them. All variable included. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Rg550 xx VS. RG2550z

I would go with the 2550, just because I think that guitar has the extra bars in the neck to help stabilize it. I might be wrong, but it's on the web site at Ibanez. You might check out the differences and see what you come up with, but I'd for sure get the guitar that sounds the best. Compare them side by side if you can with the same amp and setup and see which one sounds best and is easiest to play..
Good luck..
Tim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 AM

Reviews: 18

I would go with the 550 personally. The truss rod on the 550 has the dual titanium rod, its plenty durable and not an issue. The neck on the 550 reissue is vastly different than the 2550. Its much thinner and flatter.. which would be the deciding factor for me. Those necks are worth their weight in gold!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 AM

Smile Re: Rg550 xx VS. RG2550z

Is it an anniversary edition 550? What colors are the guitars? Does the 2550z have an Edge Pro or Edge Zero? Which one plays better. Which other guitars do you own? Lotta Variables
I would prefer the anniversary 550 if it had a maple fingerboard(rfr or dy) I prefer the older Ibz guitars to the newer ones just personal preference.The 2550 has nicer pickups but if you dont like the dimarzio ibz pickups and plan on changing them thats not a plus,the 2550z is a prestige and is supposed to have nicer fretwork and better build quality,but the aniv 550 were supposed to be built by team j-craft I think.What model years are the guitars? Maybe you can get Rich to chime he sees way more new guitars then most people here.I basically just see mine and some of my friends and what I try out in music stores.Its a pretty close choice most people would tell you take the 2550z I think I would take the aniversary 550 if its not the black one with the rosewood board.(maybe you like a rosewood board more who knows) Good Luck and whatever you get have fun playing the thing. So much gear chasing going on I hope people actually play them sometime.

P.S. If you cant try the guitars out try checking the reviews on this site for those 2 guitars some real interesting reviews here by a lot of great reviewers.

Last edited by corpraider69; 05-17-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added a ps to check the reviews
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Banned

get the rg550 mate double time lol.ive had a rg2550z and i was very disapointed with it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Compare them side by side if possible, use your fingers and ears and decide. Close your eyes and stop reading what people tell you on forums :P

Nah, seriously, you'll know which one to buy after playing them
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 AM

Reviews: 4

I would get the one with the Titanium rods installed. Here's why. No matter what anyone says, a thin neck needs this if it's to stay stable in un predictable climates, etc,. Although many a RG550 neck is still out there, I'd still go with the side of safety first. My original reasoning is that I've played a couple guitars with reinforced necks, and a stiff neck helps keep the neck from vibrating and robbing the strings of the same. A stiff neck with a lot of wood such as the ole Wolfgang from Peavey I had (God I wish I had kept that guitar) sutained forever even with the floyd, but it had reinforcement rods and everything was mounted to the guitar such as the floyd was sitting on the guitar, and pickups mounted directly to the wood, etc,. This helps big time.. A vibrating neck without the stiff rods on a thin neck especially kills sustain because the neck is vibrating and not the strings as much. I know some people will not believe this, but it's true.. Try it yourself by taking any guitar you have, but especially a bolt on and placing the headstock against something such as a Door or wall, etc, and hit a note. Let it ring, then do the same without touching the wall, etc,. It will be different usually, unless the neck is already big like on an LP, etc,..

Plus the newer guitar model, Not the 550 has Dimarzio's from the factory doesn't it? If so, that's a lot of money you won't be spending to replace the V8 and V7 pickups if you don't like them in the RG550. Or whatever they are. If they are orginal Dimarzio's then of course this isn't an issue. However, with all that said, again, you have to be the judge. If you like the sound and feel of the 550, get it! But, I think you'd be better off with a new guitar getting the other model, and later saving your pennies and getting a 550 on ****. Just what I'd do, not necessarily the advice you should take. It's just advice / opinion, and you know what they say about that.. LOL.. Good luck..
Tim
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 AM

Lightbulb Re: Rg550 xx VS. RG2550z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGuitarDude View Post
I would get the one with the Titanium rods installed. Here's why. No matter what anyone says, a thin neck needs this if it's to stay stable in un predictable climates, etc,. Although many a RG550 neck is still out there, I'd still go with the side of safety first. My original reasoning is that I've played a couple guitars with reinforced necks, and a stiff neck helps keep the neck from vibrating and robbing the strings of the same. A stiff neck with a lot of wood such as the ole Wolfgang from Peavey I had (God I wish I had kept that guitar) sutained forever even with the floyd, but it had reinforcement rods and everything was mounted to the guitar such as the floyd was sitting on the guitar, and pickups mounted directly to the wood, etc,. This helps big time.. A vibrating neck without the stiff rods on a thin neck especially kills sustain because the neck is vibrating and not the strings as much.
You're right about your preference for a stiffer neck, but the Wizards (and Jem neck) have always had a steel reinforcement beam on top of the trussrod, with steel being about 80% (!) stiffer than Titanium.

I'm pretty sure they are using two thin Titanium rod in the new necks, to be more warpage resistant, but as far as the stiffness with respect to vibrations goes, they won't be much of an improvement over the original single steel beam. In both implementations there is also still the actual trussrod, which provides the biggest stiffness.

Not that it matters for the comparison since both the RG550 XXth and the current 2550z are Titanium reinforced.

I would say that next to the pups the biggest things to consider are:
-binding (like or not)
-Edge Zero vs original Edge (MIC vs MIJ, low profile vs whale tail, etc.)
as with pups, those two are very personal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Reviews: 13

rg550! (:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM

i think rg 2550 better more then rg 550xx
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 PM

I'd go with the RG550. Killer playability and style.

Tags
rg ibanez 550 2550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode