RG550EX...pickups for fusion rock? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

RG550EX...pickups for fusion rock?

sooo..any ideas...the sound i like is allan holdsworth...benny janssen..a fusion dist tone is what i am looking for..i will be doing some prog rock/metal..but tone for fusion runs tappings and stuff is priority...
does anyone knows any artists that uses rg type guitar for this...
what would be the best pickups to achieve sound like this from this guitar...?
thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:02 PM

Re: RG550EX...pickups for fusion rock?

Honestly, I think what you're talking about is going to be more in your amp than your guitar. But pickup-wise, you are going to need a pickup that is very articulate, built more so for leads than rhythm. For this purpose I would suggest select high powered pickup OR good mid power pickups depending on your amp. The Dimarzio Fred, Steve's Special, Mo Joe, Air Zone, or EVO 2 could possibly do what you want in the bridge position. In the neck, I would go with an Air Norton.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:35 PM

^+1 on the amp thingy.

since he's in europe, I'd look into bareknuckle and swineshead pickups as well.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies...Considering the amp thing, well..that is still THE THING...i have a clean tube amp that i am planning to use...all my sound is based on boss gx-700 rack effect proc...(i am poor )..but i like it..i have it for quite a long time, and i know how to pull nice sound from it...but, i want to have a irst of all-a good guitar..so i need a good pair of pickups..
I was actually thinking of the 2 mentioned...
And, since i am not a fan of mid freqs. steve special was one i was serriosly considering..also it sasy that it was ment for legato...and i have red a lot of good things about it...but, is it too hot...?i don wanna tacky tons of gain sound...just enough to last...i know that petrucci use it...but he also uses fancy messa and tons more of stuff..so, too much variables to exclude to hear the pickup...but i don't like his lead tone too much...
And, Air zone always seemed like a maybe the real thing for me...not sure why.... Long sustain , not harsh...but what would it be its combination with basswood..?too pumped mids maybe...but guess not....?is it capable for heavier stuff, although leadwork is priority...?
thanx
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 PM

The Air Zone would be capable of doing both rhythms and leads but in the end it's really your amp that's going to decide 70 percent of your tone anyway. All the pickups do is help shape the tone and further define it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:09 AM

^yeppers. Good pickups are pretty much the icing on the cake, with a good amp being the cake. I can't see anyone with a good amp settling for crappy pickups, but if you MUST choose, I'd get a good amp before pickups.

That being said, if you like your amp- i'd look into the swineshead warthog or runaway for the bridge, and runaway or condor for the neck. EDIT: email swineshead to be sure, if you decide to go with them.

For bareknuckle, I'm not so sure, to be honest- if you do decide to go with them, i'd email them to see what they say.

I haven't tried the air zone, unfortunately.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

I am from Serbia, and ordering is too expensive for me, so i will have to stick to mainstream pickup brands, dimarzio or duncan...so..air zone than...or anything else...steve's special experiences?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:07 PM

^are you sure? i know my swinesheads were just over half the price of dimarzios here, i'd assume dimarzio are similarly dear throughout europe...

up to you, of course.

Cheers!

Tags
air norton , allan holdsworth , bridge position , prog rock , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode