RG550R2? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By jim777
  • 1 Post By straniero
  • 1 Post By straniero
  • 1 Post By Tuga666

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

RG550R2?

hello all, new to the forums, pleased to meet you lot.
I have a question and hope you can help me figure it out - I have checked the forums and there are various topics on the subject but I still have some doubts.
I also checked the ibanez wikia to no avail.

Long story short, I recently bought what was supposed to be an RG570 1995 MIJ - the neck reads 'made in japan' and has a serial starting with F52.....

However, it is equipped with a LO-TRS2 tremolo and that shouldn't be the case for the 570. therefore I checked on the heel and there is RG550#2 written on it. for all these reasons, it seems that this could be instead a 470.
However again, there are a few things that do not match. on the back of the guitar there are 3 plates, the 3rd one being for the cable jack, while the 470 (at least the same year model) only had 2. also, the cable jack is 'submerged' in the body, and it has no external plate with screws like the 470, at least based on the pics I could find on the wikia and the internet.

That seems like an hybrid between the 470 and 570 and I'm not sure what to think. any idea?

Basically i wanted to do some heavy customization on this guitar and among others replace the standard trem with the lo-pro edge. but I read on the forums that it is not possible, or at least it requires some working, and that got me worried.

thanks to everyone who will be able to help.
cheers
straniero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:50 PM

Re: RG550R2?

if it has a TRS it might be a rg470
they used the same necks as the 570/550's sometimes

is it a square neck joint? I ask because i used to have a 1995 rg450 that was (to my suprise) pretty sure 1993 was the year almost all of the rg's went AANJ

I have also retro fitted a JS100 and a couple of rg470 with edge\lowedge bridges
lopro needs some wood removed for it to fit

you might consider and edge bridge in stead
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM

What does the stamp in the neck pocket say?

What pickups does it have fitted?

It does sound like the original trem has been robbed from the guitar, this is really not that uncommon because of the value of a good Lo-Pro Edge alone can almost equal the value of the guitar.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Vendor

The trem rout shape will tell, the TRS is angled at the back wings, the ED/LP is not. Loot at the rout and compare to known routs.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 PM

The body stamp "if genuine" says all, not to mention the recessed output jack. I think sepulchrave is correct about the swapped bridge. Question is... can a LO-TRS2 properly fit the Lo-Pro rout without modifications?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:25 PM

I don't think there are any Ibanez RGs that aren't at least RG-5xx with 3 plates on the back. That output jack cover is a sign of a 5xx series or above. Rich, as always, can confirm

Oh, and Welcome to Jemsite
Hoseki likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Vendor

Any guitar with a pickguard doesn't have a control cover [except clear pickguard models], just the jack and trem cover, and no trem cover on the fixed bridge of course.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

hello everyone, thanks for your replies (superquick!) and for the welcome.

to answer to some of your queries, the pickups are V8 S1 V7 and the neck is AANJ. I can't add links as I just joined and my post count isn't high enough.

also - english not being my first language, there are some terms in your answers I didn't really understand. anyone cares to explain what is the trem route? it seems to me it should be the way strings are inserted into the trem, but not quite sure.

anyway! I checked the stamp on the neck pocket after removing the neck and it says, RG507, which is the european version of the 570. probably the swapped bridge is the answer to my question.
time to do some work around that one then.

thanks again everyone!
straniero
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM

The trem route is the wood pocket shape where the tremolo sits.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I see, thanks. as a fact, there are some sort of 'holes' - empty spaces not covered by the trem, especially in the two corners close to the bridge pickup. this makes me think it's actually not the original trem.

- 2 other posts and I can add pics, yay. will be easier!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately it's not. The rg507 original trem is an edge.
2 posts... ok... So how's the weather over there?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

haha thanks for the help
the weather in Paris is... how do I say... foggy? relatively cold? but we had a good summer. and over there?

anyway, it is unfortunate indeed, but I was planning to change it to a cosmo black lo-pro anyway, so it's not so bad.
let's put it into perspective - I prefer having a RG507 with the non original trem, than buying a 470 thinking it's an original 570/507 MIJ
Hoseki likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

some pics, in case anyone has additional feedback:

The empty spaces I was referring to are clearly visible - I think - in the two corners close to the bridge pickup. I didn't pay attention to that earlier, only after starting that thread. It is also true that the trem shape does not match the route shape.

507. never mind the hairy leg

at least the neck is MIJ

no plate and screws

AANJ

anyway, some work to be done, but I'm sure the results will be WOW. I'll post it in a couple of months, when finished
Hoseki likes this.

Last edited by straniero; 08-18-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:12 AM

Seems like the wood and the trem posts were untouched, that's good. New lo-pro and you're done!!
Good luck with your project
Hoseki likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode