RG550RF vs RG655FSO opinions & thoughts? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Re: RG550RF vs RG655FSO opinions & thoughts?

I owned both last year and the 655 was exactly what an RG550 should be. Correct neck, pickups, AANJ and fretboard (for me)

High quality and high value guitar.

The Genesis was cool to have and was basically the same quality, a little less fretwork done from the factory but in essence what an RG550 probably would have felt like new in the late 80's. Kudos to Ibanez on both!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Honestly it might seem strange for me to note but if I didn't have either guitar I might go for the RG655. At $1,200 it is an awesome value and IMO the Tone Zone is the best pickup made; period. No rewiring for the 655. Also as much as I love the square heel in terms of tone it is a love hate relationship because it's such a big block to get your hands around on the high frets. In general I prefer the aanj. The maple board would make the 655 perfect.
So, yeah the RG550RF is my favorite of all time but if I were a touring musician and lost all my guitars I'd grab an RG655 off the rack before the 20th.
Sorry if that seems confusing. Both guitars appeal to me differently but the RG655 seems the most practical.
Also you may want to search out a used RG3550ROM. It has a maple board and seems the best of both worlds. I think it has an edge zero though so in that department the 655 is better with original edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
I owned both last year and the 655 was exactly what an RG550 should be. Correct neck, pickups, AANJ and fretboard (for me)

High quality and high value guitar.

The Genesis was cool to have and was basically the same quality, a little less fretwork done from the factory but in essence what an RG550 probably would have felt like new in the late 80's. Kudos to Ibanez on both!!!!!
seems like it might be time for me to get both the RG550 and RG655. I'd probably go with the Galaxy Black for the 655. Tough choice!!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Hi, OP

I'll just assume we're talking about the 20th Anniversary RG550:

I just replaced my RG550MXX RF with an RG2820, so I can't comment on the 655, but I will say this:

I was originally going to replace the 550 with the 655, but after looking on Ikebe Gakki I found the 2820 and couldn't not buy it.

The AANJ heel on the 655, for me, is the number one advantage it has. I think the 655 is a superior guitar because of the fretwork also. I think Ibanez started improving their craftsmanship after 2010 or so.

I don't like the FSO colour, so I would get the Cobalt Blue Metallic one!

My RG550 was still an amazing guitar. I got it for 650 USD so it was a steal. The frets had that basic edge treatment that is reminiscent of Ibanez stuff from the 90's, and they were crowned just as good as the newer stuff. The only difference is the fret-ends.

Also the 655 comes with DiMarzios right off the cuff!

In terms of price you can find the RF for cheaper than a brand new 655, but I'm a proponent of buying new, so that's another reason I'd recommend the RG655.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessDescends View Post
Hi, OP

I just replaced my RG550MXX RF with an RG2820, so I can't comment on the 655, but I will say this:

I was originally going to replace the 550 with the 655, but after looking on Ikebe Gakki I found the 2820 and couldn't not buy it.

The AANJ heel on the 655, for me, is the number one advantage it has. I think the 655 is a superior guitar because of the fretwork also. I think Ibanez started improving their craftsmanship after 2010 or so.

I don't like the FSO colour, so I would get the Cobalt Blue Metallic one!

My RG550 was still an amazing guitar. I got it for 650 USD so it was a steal. The frets had that basic edge treatment that is reminiscent of Ibanez stuff from the 90's, and they were crowned just as good as the newer stuff. The only difference is the fret-ends.

Also the 655 comes with DiMarzios right off the cuff!

In terms of price you can find the RF for cheaper than a brand new 655, but I'm a proponent of buying new, so that's another reason I'd recommend the RG655.
Thank you for your input. At this point in time I'm really considering getting the both of them. That male board and vintage heel joint on the 550 and that Pup's and aanj on the 665(and also a free carrying case)!!!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessDescends View Post
Hi, OP

No, he's talking about the Genesis Collection RG550RFR. It's basically the same as the 20ths except the V1/S1/V2 are written on the pups and the neck is a prestige wizard or something. I forgot exactly what was different. The Genesis collection was first released in Japan, then in some other countries but not North America or Europe afaik.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

For me it'd go on the choice of fretboard wood. I don't like the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo too much, and love the old school vibe imparted by the square neck joint...
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
For me it'd go on the choice of fretboard wood. I don't like the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo too much, and love the old school vibe imparted by the square neck joint...
Agree, only because Ibanez won't make maple boards anymore for some reason Also RFR is my favorite Ibanez color, even if it is a square heel neck joint.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
+1 and apparently the V pups are wound in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Agree, only because Ibanez won't make maple boards anymore for some reason Also RFR is my favorite Ibanez color, even if it is a square heel neck joint.
+1

Tags
genesis , rg550 , rg655 , tag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode