RG56? Mutt Jem Project underway - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

RG56? Mutt Jem Project underway

so i got this RG56? from a fellow jemsiter awhile back. i knew it would eventually be a fun project. it was a cool guitar but i never got the emgs working right so they were swapped and parted.
*1st disclaimer*
"i am not a photographer, please excuse the lack of photography skills, nor am i a writer. i play guitar. thank you for your patience and enjoy the show."

i have a couple similar mutt guitars and what i need in parts and pickups to build them up, it's just the time is what i lack most.
this particular one has been modded for an H/ /S pup layout and has had the tone pot hole filled. the jack has also been filled and a re-drilled as an angled Jem jack. kinda different from my other Rgs and Jems to say the least.
there was a clear-coated, fabric top with thick, black spray on the sides and back of the body and a thin clear over the whole thing. after peeling the fabric top off (it was kinda cool - hated to do it!), some sanding of the glue and black paint (2hrs later!) and another mod to the body (done by a 70yr old student of mine that has a full wood shop and mad skills, wow - great job!): a monkey grip, to the already long list of mods. i am now at the point of the body finish. hmmmmmm.....

i still have the older maple neck (one in the full body pic at top). it has the fretboard scalloped 21-24, custom (abalone?) dot inlays, black headstock w/ silver logo that has good frets and a nice feel that i could use. who knows, maybe the holoflash one ("Flash") might "donate" it's sharktooth neck (pic down below of that one). but i'm feeling mapley and i don't have a Jem style guitar with a maple neck so i will probably go with the maple.
"This is my vote for an anniversary model"
20th anniversary jem :blue floral - we need another maple necked Jem!!
anyway..............

option #1
burn and stain the top black ala Burnt Stained Black. maybe paint the back and sides gloss black and clear the whole thing. to cover the filled wholes install a custom smoke black mirror guard. pull and fill the custom dots w/ black dots or smoked black mirror dots on the maple neck. pups could be black. maybe blk/wht zebra bridge pup??
*2nd disclaimer*
"i'm kinda leaning towards this but.....read on."

option #2
paint the whole body gloss black, cut and glue holoflash (wrapping paper or such should work, right?) flames coming from the horns ala Jackson Ghost Flames and clear the whole thing. no pickguard.
holoflash kinda like this one ("Flash") i have here:

option #3
glue and clear black stained flammed maple laminate to the top. maybe binding with gloss black to the sides and back. might be too much trouble for this particular body but it would look nice. no pickguard.

option #4
??????????????????
any ideas or kissawhateka (??) virtual models welcomed! let's see some skills!

i haven't decided on which pups yet but i have quite a few different humbuckers laying around (TZ, Evo, JB, Fred, ect.) and some different colors (green, blk, creme) i can swap around until i find what works and looks best. i still need a good single pup though. this will be a fun one!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Re: RG56? Mutt Jem Project underway

A binding would be cool but it's a pain to do on the RG because the top is contoured where your arm rests.

I think the idea of a laminate on the top is cool but do something besides flamed maple. Maybe it's just me, but book marked flamed maple is getting old. Anything and everything has it nowdays.

I have a similar project underway using an RG320DX. I took a heat gun to strip the paint and sealer. I'm going to be laminating a piece of splat maple to the top and then painting the back and sides black.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM

G'Day,
What about something like I did with the crackle black finish in this thread, not really hard to do and an original "random" finish.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42702
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 PM

A flamed maple veneer might prove to be a pain in the ass with the grip and all... and if you bind it, the grip will always look like its missing binding (kinda like in the jem10)....

Burnt stained black sounds cool, with a smoked mirror guard sounds even better... not sure about the black dots, id leave the abalone in there just in case i find a neck thats more fitting for this axe, abalone dots on maple RG necks aint that common, itd be sad to loose them
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Nice project mate !
....for me the only way to go would be 80's fluro green or pink....very ROCK !!

\m/\m/

Ben
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

i'm kinda thinkin' the laminate flame job with binding might be too much for this particular body. maybe have a nice alder body w/ all the Jem appointments made down the road from one of the local jemsite shops done up with the laminate but not this basswood beater. this body is going to be a players guitar that i can take out when i don't want to take a Jem or nicer production RG with me.

i saw that crackle job when you posted your thread about it - very cool. if i was going to do something "wild" like that i would probably go the swirl route. maybe a blk, red and white "Diablo Swirl". i've always wanted to try it and don't want to spend a fortune on this particular body, otherwise i would again send it to one of the local jemsite shops for a good quality swirl.
i'm kinda leaning still with the Burnt Stained Black look with a custom smoked black mirror guard. anyone want to try to do a virtual mock-up?
thanks for your comments and input! i'm going to take a week or two and consider different options and ideas from you guys and keep everyone posted as i go forward on this.
if anyone has any info on "how to" make the Burnt Stained Black a reality (wood burning and staining tips), i'm all ears!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:35 AM

I'd stay away from the black stain or anything else that would show the wood. The reason being that the body isn't one solid piece and the joints at which the individual pieces join aren't centered either. If you do anything, it should be a solid color (unless you apply a laminate on the top with the rest of the body a solid color).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

i need to look at some more pics of the BSB Jems. weren't those multi-piece basswood bodies with just a light stain? the black smoked mirror pickguard would cover most of the lines but you would still see the ones on the body by the bridge. if anyone has any pics of stained basswood, multi-piece bodies it would be nice to see what it would look like.
my student that cut the monkey grip for me is going to fill and recut the angled jack this week as the original one is WAY off center and really sloppy. he is such a nice guy and it is very cool that i can trade some lessons for his time and work on this. he traded sanding (i wasn't expecting him too) the body for me and to cut the monkey grip for 3, 1/2hr lessons ($52.50) which is a great deal for me. he actually only wanted 2 lessons and i told him i would give him 3 because i was tickled pink by the work and time he put into this for me. i'm looking at some of my other mutt RGs and starting to get ideas and thinking of adding monkey grips. i need to find a jig or something for the claw route. that is a little tricky to do i imagine. again, if anyone knows where or how i can get my hands on something, i'm all ears.

here's one finish i REALLY like! Jackson discontinued this black holoflash finish a couple years ago. too bad. i love it to death. i've talked to one pro paint shop that quoted me over $200 for this finish. not sure if this body is worth that kinda dough but it is tempting. this finish is just stunning!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:23 PM

if you want to part with this body at some point, please let me know!!!!! i tried this with an actual rg565 body, and it didn't go so well. so now i have this extra neck.....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity
if you want to part with this body at some point, please let me know!!!!! i tried this with an actual rg565 body, and it didn't go so well. so now i have this extra neck.....
keep your eyes peeled as i see good project bodies pooping up from time to time on the 'Bay. i let my last one get away from me (Doh! that one had an AANJ and ALL the Jem appointments - shouldn't have let that one go!). i really like the idea of the H/ /S pup configuration. i can't wait to get this one going and be able to play it on stage!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:56 AM

Nice looking guitar.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

PROJECT UPDATE!!!

so i'm getting some experience tryin to do the refinish myself and have settled on a nice cobalt metallic blue just to see how well this goes.
i wish i had a "clean room" that had filtered air as specs of dust and small fibers floating in the air settled into the body.
i have spent over two weeks working on this and for my first shot at painting and clearing it didn't turn out too bad. i still need to gloss the back before i can assemble it completely.
i have some various humbuckers laying around but only one working single and it's green so i am going with that single (maybe S1?) and a new TZ i have in green laying around. i also have a flourescent green Dimarzio strap laying around to help set off the color scheme.

the guitar isn't finished but i layed everything out to see what it would look like.
i eventually plan to put a RED bridge pup (Evo II) and a WHITE neck pup and possibly free hand a unique star or something on it as well for a USA themed look.
i can't wait to finish it completely and get to playing it!
a cool thing that i couldn't capture in the pics was that at certain angles in the light the paint turns purple - kind of a cool unexpected bonus! i'll post more when it is finished in this theme and of course when it hits its final stage (USA theme).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

i didn't realize how much the pic with the flash in the middle of the body makes the color almost look like the VSBL! no points for originality but i like it!
when i buy the new pups i'll try to get a clear pickguard made for it as well.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Reviews: 120

Nice colour, similar to my blue JEM style custom
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

i think i remember seeing your thread recently (past mos or so). i can't wait to finish this one and move on to my next one.
*i plan to take my other modified RG560 (Flash) and put a vinyl sticker of the Jagermeister logo on it - pics will be posted when finished *

Tags
abalone dots , alder body , angled jack , basswood bodies , black headstock , bridge pup , dimarzio strap , dot inlay , dot inlays , flamed maple , green dimarzio , maple neck , monkey grip , neck pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode