RG560 with Maple Fretboard Question. Did it ever exist? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

RG560 with Maple Fretboard Question. Did it ever exist?

I have been offered up a 560 with a maple fretboard. The serial number on this dates it as an 87, but from all of my research, the 560 wasn't introduced until 88. Also, from what I have found, the 560 was available with a maple fretboard only in Japan.

Has anyone here seen a 560 dated 87 with a maple fretboard? BTW, the color is lipstick red. I am thinking that it is a 87 550 neck on later 560 body, or maybe I am lucky and getting one of the first 560's ever, and it was never officially available. Also, the headstock is black if that matters.

Please help on this before I go through the trade. I am looking at trading my 2000 570 Sour Apple Sparkle + $150 for this, so I want to make sure it is original.

Thanks for the help,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:03 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: RG560 with Maple Fretboard Question. Did it ever exist?

There are a few things what that guitar is:
- it could be a legit 560; one that never made it in the catalogs(???).
- it could be a swapped neck from a black 550 matched to a lipstick Red 560 body.
- it could be an odd prototype - like the 765
- maybe Ibanez ran out of rosewood board necks around time of production?

87 neck on 88 body is normal - it means the neck was "left over" from the year before the model was "officially released" in catalogs.
Either way, as long most of the guitar's original... I'd snag it!

Since we're on the topic of 560s... I came across this [beaten up] oddball a few weeks ago at this "local" vintage shop with these specs:
Dark Gray
HSS setup
[dirty] Maple board + dots
Edge
and oh ya... reverse matching headstock of all things!

I never got to see the serial number as it was covered by an allen wrench holder or perhaps the sticker [with the model #] got peeled off.
I personally think it's a "Japan only" 560 :P

Reg
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 AM

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...banez%20RG560/
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
There are a few things what that guitar is:
- it could be a legit 560; one that never made it in the catalogs(???).
- it could be a swapped neck from a black 550 matched to a lipstick Red 560 body.
- it could be an odd prototype - like the 765
- maybe Ibanez ran out of rosewood board necks around time of production?

87 neck on 88 body is normal - it means the neck was "left over" from the year before the model was "officially released" in catalogs.
Either way, as long most of the guitar's original... I'd snag it!

Since we're on the topic of 560s... I came across this [beaten up] oddball a few weeks ago at this "local" vintage shop with these specs:
Dark Gray
HSS setup
[dirty] Maple board + dots
Edge
and oh ya... reverse matching headstock of all things!

I never got to see the serial number as it was covered by an allen wrench holder or perhaps the sticker [with the model #] got peeled off.
I personally think it's a "Japan only" 560 :P

Reg
That was a Guitar Center anniversary exclusive. I had one (still have the neck) and I think there's even a "GC" on the heel stamp.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of it. The trade is for my 2000 RG570 in Sour Apple. My neck is in perfect condition as well as the hardware, with just some dings on the body. His body is near perfect, as is the neck and hardware. There are just two small dings on the back of the neck by the headstock, and on the back of the headstock.

I offered him my guitar plus $150. I figured that was fair with the year of this guitar, the condition, and the emg's in it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jason

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Plus. Who doesn't want a maple neck? That was the big selling point for me.

Jason

Tags
rg560 rg550 87 maple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode