RG565 Genesis Collection - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 11:47 PM

Re: RG565 Genesis Collection

Anyone else pre order? I did.... secretly! An orange one with case.
lordhar and peromucho7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoC View Post
Much like a lot of the old Ibanez finishes it doesn't really look the same in photos as it does in person

^ This is mine the day I bought it 5 years ago

Yes! Much better! Thanks...
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2020, 08:54 PM

Love the color! Did you replace the pickups?
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-16-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Crunch View Post
Love the color! Did you replace the pickups?
Oh I dumped a ton of money into it

Here's a more recent photo:

-DiMarzio Virtual Vintage '54 Pro
-BKP Holydiver
-Brass big block
-Custom made knobs

It had an HS-2 and a Tone Zone when I bought it, but I also have the stock pickups. The original stock pickups are pretty good and I'm actually using the stock bridge pickup in a parts guitar right now; it honestly sounds pretty much exactly like a MegaDrive. I think it's a little sad that this reissue doesn't include a reissue of the HB2 bridge pickup because it was pretty killer.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-16-2020, 10:59 AM

Looks great! Ibanezes just look right with DiMarzio straps! I'm giving the stock pickups a fair shot when mine arrives. I'm actually more into strong, medium output pickups and not super hot ones. Will definitely look into the brass block for mine.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm actually more into strong, medium output pickups and not super hot ones. Will definitely look into the brass block for mine.
Yep, I've never been a fan of high output pickups like the X2N, etc. I actually think you get better gain response with medium pickups like a PAF Pro.
jono likes this.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 02:59 PM

I'm really leaning towards one of these. My only gripe is the lack of an AANJ. I love that feature.

I'm also considering a RG652 but not sure if it's worth the extra $$ over the RG565.

I've had quite a few Ibbys over the years but never a MIJ model. I'm pretty excited to finally be getting one.
lordhar and Leviathus like this.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Looks great! Ibanezes just look right with DiMarzio straps! I'm giving the stock pickups a fair shot when mine arrives. I'm actually more into strong, medium output pickups and not super hot ones. Will definitely look into the brass block for mine.
the brass block is probably the most important mod that I made. Huge difference in the tone of the guitar after replacing the tiny stock block

And I agree, I tend to stick to pickups with A5 magnets that are wound anywhere from 12k-16k DCR. Right now my other main guitar is rocking a Norton in the bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
I'm really leaning towards one of these. My only gripe is the lack of an AANJ. I love that feature.

I'm also considering a RG652 but not sure if it's worth the extra $$ over the RG565.

I've had quite a few Ibbys over the years but never a MIJ model. I'm pretty excited to finally be getting one.
If the reissues are anywhere near the same league as the originals then $1000 is a stupid good deal. I wouldn't worry too much about the square heel if I were you; in fact I personally like the square heels because it makes for a really stable anchor point when I'm on the high frets (I also have Vai-sized hands tho)

Also: the square heels are a little bit easier to set up, imo; the neck has a slightly different geometry to AANJ necks and it takes shims a little bit better in my experience (been through 6 MIJ Ibbys from 1989-2002, 3 square heel and 3 AANJ)
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
If the reissues are anywhere near the same league as the originals then $1000 is a stupid good deal. I wouldn't worry too much about the square heel if I were you; in fact I personally like the square heels because it makes for a really stable anchor point when I'm on the high frets (I also have Vai-sized hands tho)

Also: the square heels are a little bit easier to set up, imo; the neck has a slightly different geometry to AANJ necks and it takes shims a little bit better in my experience (been through 6 MIJ Ibbys from 1989-2002, 3 square heel and 3 AANJ)

Good to know, thanks.

Really looking forward to these and the other offerings for 2021.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 08:42 PM

Cool Re: RG565 Genesis Collection

My Bro was looking for a guiter for his studio in a price range 1000 € and asked me to support. As an IbanezManiac, it was clear, it has to be an Ibby. First i aimed at a Genesis modell, remaining the famous Rg 550, MIJ. But then, i fell about the RG6PFGMLTD-GBB. Such a nice Axe i thought (i love colors). So i called my friend and recommended to order one. This evening i had a little time to visit him and inspect the beauty. Although "Made in Indonesia", I was impressed about the design and the quality of this instrument. The neck feels almost similar to my Jem2kDNA, so after a short time i felt "at home" . With the DiMarzio pup combination, (similar to many J- Customs), playing through the HELX, i got an excellent sound.
What i couldn't test was the abuse of the trem in connection with the tuning stability, because of a lack of time (Corona: you have to stay at home after 09:00 PM).
But next time, i will also test that. My first impression is: you get an eye catcher (of course in the eye of the beholder), a high quality axe for this budget, that plays fine.
Cheers Wolfgang
FireEagle likes this.

Last edited by WMerkert; 12-21-2020 at 08:48 PM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:

And I agree, I tend to stick to pickups with A5 magnets that are wound anywhere from 12k-16k DCR. Right now my other main guitar is rocking a Norton in the bridge

How you like the Norton? From all the reading and browsing around, that's the one I'm thinking of getting for my RG570 or the 565 when it gets here. What are you playing through pedal and amp wise?
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
How you like the Norton? From all the reading and browsing around, that's the one I'm thinking of getting for my RG570 or the 565 when it gets here. What are you playing through pedal and amp wise?
I have the Norton in a 2020 HM Strat and my core tone consists of an always on Maxon CP101 (with very mild settings just to so the amp sees a more consistent input level) into a Panama Fuego on the drive channel without the gain boost (it's a Marshall kind of thing). With just that the Norton covers me from funky cleans all the way up to like a late 70s hard rock sound by using the volume knob. It splits well, playing nicely with the stock single coils to approximate more traditional Strat sounds. It's a nice and clear pickup that still has enough power to push my amp; harmonics are pretty easy to grab with it as well.

It's a good all around pickup, but there are a couple things I'm not the biggest fan of:
-The resonant peak is a little higher than my Holydiver (a JB-style pickup) which makes the Norton less friendly to solo on.
-If I run a tubescreamer into my amp (drive 0 vol 10) to get to metal territory it doesn't quite do the metal sound as well as the Holydiver (I'm working on finding a drive pedal that interacts more how I want for this)

For what it's worth, when I asked DiMarzio about a JB or Holydiver style pickup they pointed me to the AT-1. I ended up going Norton because the HM Strat is a slightly shorter scale length and so I thought a slighty brighter pickup would be the move.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMerkert View Post
My Bro was looking for a guiter for his studio in a price range 1000 and asked me to support. As an IbanezManiac, it was clear, it has to be an Ibby. First i aimed at a Genesis modell, remaining the famous Rg 550, MIJ. But then, i fell about the RG6PFGMLTD-GBB. Such a nice Axe i thought (i love colors). So i called my friend and recommended to order one. This evening i had a little time to visit him and inspect the beauty. Although "Made in Indonesia", I was impressed about the design and the quality of this instrument. The neck feels almost similar to my Jem2kDNA, so after a short time i felt "at home" . With the DiMarzio pup combination, (similar to many J- Customs), playing through the HELX, i got an excellent sound.
What i couldn't test was the abuse of the trem in connection with the tuning stability, because of a lack of time (Corona: you have to stay at home after 09:00 PM).
But next time, i will also test that. My first impression is: you get an eye catcher (of course in the eye of the beholder), a high quality axe for this budget, that plays fine.
Cheers Wolfgang
Wow... Stunning guitar and nice features! I like everything about it except for the Tone Zone bridge, but that is easily fixed. Thanks for posting about it, I had not seen that model yet.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
It's a good all around pickup, but there are a couple things I'm not the biggest fan of:
-The resonant peak is a little higher than my Holydiver (a JB-style pickup) which makes the Norton less friendly to solo on.
-If I run a tubescreamer into my amp (drive 0 vol 10) to get to metal territory it doesn't quite do the metal sound as well as the Holydiver (I'm working on finding a drive pedal that interacts more how I want for this)
I had ordered and then canceled a 2020 Ice Blue HM Strat! I was so excited when they came out! Canceled due to the pandemic made me rethink my spending a bit. Was super eager to enjoy the 25" scale. The excitement wore off a bit, but not fully. Fast forward to now and these 565's just got to me.

Thanks for the Norton description. To be honest, I'm not sure what sound I am looking from the bridge humbucker, but know what I won't be playing. No super gain metal. I think I want a modern take on the PAF, an upgraded PAF Pro, maybe Fred-like. Not super rocking like a Tone Zone (too bassy) and for some reason, I feel I won't like a Super Distortion. I like early 80's tones, Pyromania tones, Hard rock but not fizzy sounds. And got to be able to get cool cleans for processing with effects. So a Norton seems like a good starting point. I may have convinced myself to get a PAF pro for my 570, and get the norton for my 565.

Happy Holidays!
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMerkert View Post
My Bro was looking for a guiter for his studio in a price range 1000 and asked me to support. As an IbanezManiac, it was clear, it has to be an Ibby. First i aimed at a Genesis modell, remaining the famous Rg 550, MIJ. But then, i fell about the RG6PFGMLTD-GBB. Such a nice Axe i thought (i love colors). So i called my friend and recommended to order one. This evening i had a little time to visit him and inspect the beauty. Although "Made in Indonesia", I was impressed about the design and the quality of this instrument. The neck feels almost similar to my Jem2kDNA, so after a short time i felt "at home" . With the DiMarzio pup combination, (similar to many J- Customs), playing through the HELX, i got an excellent sound.
Cheers Wolfgang
This is a sound example throuhg a helix into headrush 112.
Cheers !
FireEagle likes this.

Tags
genesis collection , rg565

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode