RG570 restoration question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

RG570 restoration question

I have an '89 RG570 that I got a few years ago for a song. I refinished the body and even though I didn't do a bad job I felt like I left it in worse condition than it was in before. This weekend I was fortunate enough to find an auction for a '91 RG570 neck and body. I scooped it up and I am going to move all the guts from the '89 to the '91. I have decided though that it would be a great opportunity to re-refinish the '89. Last time I couldn't figure out how to get the knobs off so I taped them up and painted around them. It actually worked surprisingly well. Since they are now going onto the '91 I need to know how to actually get them off. I know I am missing something silly but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Re: RG570 restoration question

This is from Rich's Ibanez Rules Site. This works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.ibanezrules.com
This will give you enough clearance to get a pick under the other side. Work them back and forth and the knob will slip right off. If you're worried about scratching the guard with the pick [yes, it will if the clearance is tight] stick a piece of tape next to the knob where the pick will make contact, Scotch or masking, no matter which. The clearance wasn't that tight on this knob for me to worry about it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Does that work with an RG570? These aren't the plastic Strat-style knobs but the Tele-style metal knobs. Here's a link to my RG570after the refinish. RG570 pic

Last edited by Acidhouse; 05-06-2008 at 08:41 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM

If those metal ones don't have a set screw that holds it in place yes that should work. If they have the set screw then just unscrew the screw.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay sorry but that advice didn't work. There are no set screws in the knobs like you typically find with that style of knobs. Since I don't care about the finish, I went ahead and used a butter knife and then a flat head screw driver. Those knobs are being held on by something.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidhouse View Post
Okay sorry but that advice didn't work. There are no set screws in the knobs like you typically find with that style of knobs. Since I don't care about the finish, I went ahead and used a butter knife and then a flat head screw driver. Those knobs are being held on by something.
some r-tard probably superglued them on..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM

I use an old T shirt and work it under the knob and pull. stewmac.com offers an official tool for this job.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Now I am having more issues with what was going to be a fairly easy guitar project. I still haven't gotten the knobs to come off but I have run into a more serious problem. The body that I bought didn't have the metal shafts where the bridge posts screw into. I have the shafts in the other 570 body but I have no clue how to get those out. I can't believe someone bothered to remove the other ones. Any thoughts on how to remove the shafts from the other RG or where to buy replacement shafts? Also, if there are any more thoughts on the knobs that would be appreciated. I am pretty sure that they are screwed on so I think I am missing something. Normally, you can just take a small allen wrench and unscrew the screws on the side but there are no screws. I have used several objects to pry and pull straight up but no luck. Just from the way it is holding, it doesn't feel like glue.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Dee

I recently discovered teaspoons work well for removing knobs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidhouse View Post
Now I am having more issues with what was going to be a fairly easy guitar project. I still haven't gotten the knobs to come off but I have run into a more serious problem. The body that I bought didn't have the metal shafts where the bridge posts screw into. I have the shafts in the other 570 body but I have no clue how to get those out. I can't believe someone bothered to remove the other ones. Any thoughts on how to remove the shafts from the other RG or where to buy replacement shafts? Also, if there are any more thoughts on the knobs that would be appreciated. I am pretty sure that they are screwed on so I think I am missing something. Normally, you can just take a small allen wrench and unscrew the screws on the side but there are no screws. I have used several objects to pry and pull straight up but no luck. Just from the way it is holding, it doesn't feel like glue.
Thread the post into the bushing a fair ways, carefully grip the post with the jaw of a drill-press that has been extended down, secure the body to the table of the press and raise the chuck and the insert will slide out. YOu can use this method to re-install them too.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice.

Tags
allen wrench , style knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode