rg570 or rg1550m? Need your thoughts on upcoming purchase - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Question rg570 or rg1550m? Need your thoughts on upcoming purchase

So i've been contemplating on whether to pick up a used rg570 mij or a brand new rg1550m, within the next week or so. I know there's a difference in price between the two models, but not certain if this can be justified in their quality and playibility differences. My thought is (from reading on these models) is that you really cant go wrong with either. At the same time the 570 is discontinued and aren't as easily had as a current 1550m would be. I'd hate to miss an opportunity on the 570 if it was truly worth owning/playing. I guess my question is, if you had the money to buy any one of these two and couldn't make another purchase for a year , which one would you grab up? I know this is subjective, but just trying to get your thoughts on, out of the two, which you'd be more content playing for the year?

rg570 - $400-ish ? rg1550m - $1050? Your thoughts on helping me with my decision is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Re: rg570 or rg1550m? Need your thoughts on upcoming purchase

Most people here are gonna tell you to buy used MIJ. Personally, I think that too often, that advice is given from a misguided "they don't make 'em like they used to" mentality. I'm a big fan of Fujigen; not only is there nothing wrong with today's 1550/1570, they are great guitars with amazing necks and competitively priced.

Are you already shopping a particular 570? Because obviously, you can't find a good used 570 for $400 as you can find a new 1550 for (probably less than) $1000. If you have the skill to evaluate a used guitar, and a little patience, you'll eventually get one.

Bottom line is, you can't go wrong with either.

Peace

Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 AM

570's can be picked up cheap usually, I just snagged one off the bay that didnt sell for the starting bid of 300, so I asked the seller if it didnt sell, I may be interested, He replied back with 200 lol, so I got it for 240 shipped, hasnt got here yet. Its an ugly finish, but in great shape, probably gonna be a donor for a jem build more than likely.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Most people here are gonna tell you to buy used MIJ. Personally, I think that too often, that advice is given from a misguided "they don't make 'em like they used to" mentality. I'm a big fan of Fujigen; not only is there nothing wrong with today's 1550/1570, they are great guitars with amazing necks and competitively priced.

Are you already shopping a particular 570? Because obviously, you can't find a good used 570 for $400 as you can find a new 1550 for (probably less than) $1000. If you have the skill to evaluate a used guitar, and a little patience, you'll eventually get one.

Peace

Mike
Thanks for the input Mike. That was super helpful. I am actually shopping some 570's online and via CL locally. I have some experience shopping for used geets, but not sure if there is anything in particular I should be looking for with an "older" guitar. I've heard of stress cracks at the neck joint, being one. Any other tips on what else I should be looking out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivermod View Post
570's can be picked up cheap usually, I just snagged one off the bay that didnt sell for the starting bid of 300, so I asked the seller if it didnt sell, I may be interested, He replied back with 200 lol, so I got it for 240 shipped, hasnt got here yet. Its an ugly finish, but in great shape, probably gonna be a donor for a jem build more than likely.
Hey man, glad you got one on the cheap. That's the one thing good about ebay items with no reserve.

Last edited by metalmania408; 05-28-2011 at 11:12 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Keep checking the bay, 570's are the best bang for the buck out there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Yea dude i would go with the 570. I just got my first MIJ guitar lastt weekend (a really beat up RG550). I got it for $250 from some guy on craigslist. I've played one of the Ibanez Premium series (which have the same neck as the RG1550) and the neck on my ibanez felt so much better. The only new models that have a neck as thin as RG550/570 are the RG3550/3570's. You can look at the specs on the ibanez website. If you want a thinner neck go for the RG570. Personally i think the trem is better on it too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:

Peace

Mike
it goes beyond that mentality.

the Wizard I neck is as good as and possibly better than the 1550 neck.

and the trem in the 1550 is not as good as the original edge (nothing from Ibanez is).

The only thing the 1550 has on the 570 is stock pickups, but you can get a 570 and pickup set and still have an extra $400 in your pocket vs a stock 1550.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_RGplayer View Post
it goes beyond that mentality.

. . .
Sure, there's a little more to it than that. It's still a significant phenomenon. I will also admit that I am a little spoiled, my RG550 has the original Wizard and an Edge. Heh heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmania408 View Post
. . . I've heard of stress cracks at the neck joint, being one. Any other tips on what else I should be looking out for?
Those neck joint finish cracks are common on older bolt-on Ibanezes. If it has the exposed hardware behind the locking nut, inspect carefully for cracks there because those are generally more serious. Other than that, I can't offer much beyond the standard advice. Sight down the neck; play every note on the guitar and investigate buzzing, dead spots, etc; worn or corroded hardware, etc.

Peace

Mike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

hey, thanks guys for adding more input.

After reading more about the differences, it looks like these are the options, I've narrowed it down to and are accessible:

1) used stock RG570 (~$400)
2) used stock RG1570 (~$500)
3) brand new RG1550m (market $)

I'm thinking the 1570 might be the winner here. Again, i haven't picked up a prestige or one of the "ol skool" RGs. I've had a bunch of newer RG300+ series, currently own a S320 (which I'm really digging after throwing an 81/85 in it, btw). So i have somewhat of a feel with playing an Ibby, just not the "good" stuff. I figure if the lower-end stuff is comfortable to me, I only suspect higher-end stuff has got to be better. Safe to assume?

Any input on the RG1570 (early 2000's i believe. no Z bridge)?

Thanks again for your input on what seems to be like a life-or-death decision. LOL. It's just a guitar ain't it?!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Sure, there's a little more to it than that. It's still a significant phenomenon. I will also admit that I am a little spoiled, my RG550 has the original Wizard and an Edge. Heh heh.

Those neck joint finish cracks are common on older bolt-on Ibanezes. If it has the exposed hardware behind the locking nut, inspect carefully for cracks there because those are generally more serious. Other than that, I can't offer much beyond the standard advice. Sight down the neck; play every note on the guitar and investigate buzzing, dead spots, etc; worn or corroded hardware, etc.

Peace

Mike
its definitely a phenomenon, but if you are talking MIJ 550/570 vs a 1550, it's true. The difference in what you would pay for a damn good 570 vs a 1550 is absurd when you consider the neck and trem on each guitar is at best even and probably better on the 570.

In the end, we are talking about a 1550, not a JEM or UV
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

So....i ended up doing a trade last night.

Schecter 007 Elite + $150 <---> '03 1570 Mirage Blue

The 1570 is in great condition w/ just a couple of small edge dings. A bit dirty though. I just ripped the nasty strings off of it and starting to clean it up (0000 to the frets, naptha to the fretboard so far). I'll probably pull the rest of the hardware out just for an initial deep inspection and cleaning. Trem is in awesome shape. Again, gonna give it a once-over when i pull the hardware.

Can't wait to get some strings on this thing so i can get a feel for my very first Prestige.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM

hands down buy the rg 570..better guitar better trem better neck if its a 1987-1993 its worth owning..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 21

What year RG570? This is an important question as some years are better than others. All have their good points. Honestly, I'd probably go for the RG1570. I like the Edge Pro, the Prestige Wizard, and the direct-mounted pickups. An RG570 with a Super Wizard is REALLY great too and most folks prefer the Original Edge.
mike570 is online  

Tags
rg1550m , rg570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode