Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG5SP2 Query

Tags
rg5 rg5sp2
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  D.M.RG7620 
#1 ·
Hi there! I'm quite new to the site but so far it looks quite awesome.

So, my question is such; I came across an RG5SP2 at my local GC for about $200. Its in nice condition, and the pickups look like they were replaced for something better. I'm having trouble finding info about it, though, and want to make an informed decision before diving in for the buy. What do you guys think of that model?

#2 ·
it looks like a pretty good guitar.but it has an edge III which is not a high quality trem. so you might need to replace it.if the pickups don't say inf 3 infs3 and inf 4 on them they've bin replaced. but if they are stock i would still go for it because they sound good to me. but the best advice i can give you is try the guitar for yourself and see what you think.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. :) Any reccomendations on a replacement trem?

I tried it out and fell in love with the variety of sound from the 5 settings, especially the warmer tones from the buckers.

From what I saw, the two buckers don't have visible names, but the middle pickup is what looks to be a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail of some sort.

#4 ·
First--welcome to Jemsite!
Second--there are a few resources available to get quick info, such as Google and the all mighty search function here at Jemsite.
Third--it may take a few hours or days until someone replies, due to folks with experience with that particular model.
In the meantime, I suggest looking over the following link to get aquainted with that guitar:
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG5SP2
I've never played one, but based on the specs--I'd pass. Save up a few more pennies and get an older RG-550 or 570.

Cheers!

#7 ·
An original Edge is not as pricwy as some folks think. In fact, you can get a decent one with good knife edges and minimal cosmetic issues for under a hundred bucks. They pop up every once-in-a-while right here in our classified section. I also see them on eBay all the time for a decent price. Still, they are not a" drop in" replacement for an EEdgeIII--some minor routing is needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.