RG6-CST Opinions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

RG6-CST Opinions

Did a search and found not much. Wondering what you guys think of the RG6-CST. Anybody have one? How do they sound? I see they have a Swamp Ash top over Mahogany. Wondering how that sounds compaired to a Maple top over Mahogany. Also, were there only 24 (or 12, depending on who you ask) of these made? What year were they manufactured? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

And I forgot the most important question (if you read the post above). Is it a J-Custom or a Prestige???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:03 PM

Looks like a JC to me (says J-Custom on the headstock). Made in 1999 (?)

Look here for more info:

http://jemsite.com/jcustom/usa_jc1999/index.html
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mark,
Actually that was a joke. A late one seeing as I just read the whole "J-Custom vs. Prestige" debate. AKA Kevan vs. Glen. Nice reading...

Anyone heard or played one? I'm getting one but wonder how the mahogany/swamp ash marrage sounds...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

I guess I can assume they are somewhat rare due to the lack of response...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 03:56 PM

Actually, i think the lack of response has more to do with the fact that 1.) the topic is just over 24 hours old, and 2.) There was a two minute gap between your last question and the "kind of rare" post. Just a hunch.

Personally, i have no idea, but most ibanez tops are fairly thin- i'd imagine that, since i don't believe maple and swamp ash are TOO horribly different tonally (yeah, i know, i know... but as i recall they're both reasonably bright, correct?) and since it'll be in such a small quantity (a half centimeter veneer really doesn't change tone THAT drastically) that the tones would be pretty close, and the main difference is cosmetics.

Anyone wanna back me up on this?

-Drew
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Drew,
The "rare" comment was pure lazyness. I wanted to have it in the post before but instead of editiing it, I just added a new one...

I have seen some thin tops and some pretty thick tops on Ibanez. From the pics I got of it, I can't tell which it is. And I've never owned a swamp ash guitar, much less an oridinary ash one. I would assume they are pretty bright, since they are a traditional Strat wood. But like I said, never owned one so I can only assume...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 10:04 AM

I have an RG6CST and love it. The tone is very reminiscent of a good Les Paul. The Swamp Ash top isn't extremely thick, but it isn't too thin either. Swamp Ash and Mahogany do share the tonal characteristics that Maple and Mahogany do, so for me that is a plus.

As most of the J Customs that have made it into the US, the RG6CST is relatively rare. Production numbers are always sketchcy at best. I don't have the serial number in front of me, so I can't give you a production year.

I will say this. If you have the means, pick one up.

Cheers,
Butch
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Butch,
Thanks for the info! Just what I was looking for. I do have one on the way. It should be here by Friday. Can't wait!!!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 04:27 PM

Scott,

I was just kidding with ya, dude. No hard feelings, i hope. Congrats on the new axe!

-Drew
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:10 PM

Sorry for the delay... just spend 2 weeks in Alaska and am getting caught up on the 700+ unread e-mail messages between home & work!

Anyway, I had an RG6CST for a while and really liked it. The combination of the thicker neck (probably an Ultra) with the ebony fretboard was amazing--definitely one of the smoothest Ibanezes I've ever played. I think the lack of inlays is very sharp looking. The tone was also great... the combination of the PAF Pro and Tone Zone in mahogany has always been one of my personal favorites. I think it sounds slightly darker than a 3120, but not by much, which is probably just the tonal difference between the swamp ash & maple.

The finish is more of a matte finish, so it tends to ding/scratch a little easier than a thicker clearcoat finish.

The grain on the top tends to vary a lot, so make sure you see pics before you buy. Not that I've ever seen a "bad" RG6CST, but you never know.

This was one of the J-Custom models that was imported to the US to show off the double-edge trem back in 1999. I don't know whether 12 or 24 were made, but either way, it's pretty uncommon.

Anyway, it's a killer guitar!

--B
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I just got the guitar yesterday and I must say, I'm amazed! The thicker neck suites me very well. I love mahogany bodied guitars and this one is no exception. Having never played a guitar with the double edge I can say I was very impressed with the articulation that acoustic pickup delivers. Need to get an acoustic amp now! It does seem a bit more fragile than a clearcoated guitar but it will "break-in" faster. Very nice guitars. Worth the Jackson Soloist I traded for it!!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:19 AM

I traded my CST for a PRS Custom 24, and think the person who got the CST got the better end of the deal!

If you're looking for an inexpensive acoustic amp, I like the Carvin A100G (or something like that). It's an acoustic amp with built in FX and separate channels for acoustic guitar, bass, microphone/keys. It's basically half acoustic amp, half PA. There are probably better sounding acoustic amps out there, but for the price and the versatility this one's hard to beat!

--B
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the amp. I'm definatly looking for a nice, cheaper one...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
I traded my CST for a PRS Custom 24, and think the person who got the CST got the better end of the deal!

If you're looking for an inexpensive acoustic amp, I like the Carvin A100G (or something like that). It's an acoustic amp with built in FX and separate channels for acoustic guitar, bass, microphone/keys. It's basically half acoustic amp, half PA. There are probably better sounding acoustic amps out there, but for the price and the versatility this one's hard to beat!

--B
I've actually spent a good amount of time playint through one of those with my 2027, and honestly, the peizo sounds better through that thing than any other acoustic amp i've ever tried. Something about it makes it sound more "acoustic" than any other acoustic amp i've played through, including significantly more expensive amps that got better results with a "real" acosutic gutiar. If you'll be using the thing with an acosutic in addition to the peizo, you might want to look elsewhere, as there aRE better acoustic amps out there. However, if it's just for the ibanez, you really can't go wrong, and i have yet to find a more realistic amp. It has a very earthy graininess to the bass notes- cool!

That said, the thing's shielding leaves a lot to be desired- definately picks up radio stations. Oh well...

-Drew

Tags
acoustic amp , acoustic guitar , custom models , ebony fretboard , edge trem , jackson soloist , killer guitar , les paul , paf pro , swamp ash , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode