RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Linf1
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help, I've been looking at the two prestige models RG652AHM-AWD and RG652AHM-OMF. I was wondering if anyone has had experience playing one, even both or can provide a bit of insight.

Aside from the differences in locking mechanics, I know a key difference is the pickups. I've heard good things about the versatility of the tone zone and even more so about the air norton when it comes to leads. On the contrary, I've seen quite a lot of negativity surrounding the Fusion pickups stocked in OMF, and from the clips I've heard they seem to lack clarity and sound quite muddy.

I play a lot of metalcore but also enjoy more blues inspired leads, so versatility, sustain and "bite" is pretty important to me.

It would be great to hear your opinions, is what I've said above pretty accurate based on your experience playing the guitars, or even other guitars with those pickups?

With all features considered, which guitar would you recommend? (I slightly prefer the finish on the OMF over the AWD)

Thanks a lot for your time.
Linf1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,490
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

The only difference between them is the pickups. I have yet to pug in the OMF, but I must say, even though it's personal taste, IMO it's the ugliest guitar they've released in years, and why I'll only keep one in stock. If it was the ROF from the 3127 it would have been really nice.
Rich is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:36 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,335
Reviews: 21
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

I still want to play something with a set of Fusion Edge pickups. Some videos I see with them they sound good and some they sound kind of too bright and midrange for my taste.
The RG652AHM-AWD is pure class IMO! VERY gorgeous guitar!

Just a side note - is there a reason Ibanez has been hesitant to do solid color guitars lately? Any time they do solid colors it's usually a reissue like the Genesis line, the 25ths, or they do it on the cheaper Indo stuff. EDIT: I forgot the initial run of RG655s and RG652 fixed were solid colors - but still.
mike570 is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 AM
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The only difference between them is the pickups. I have yet to pug in the OMF, but I must say, even though it's personal taste, IMO it's the ugliest guitar they've released in years, and why I'll only keep one in stock. If it was the ROF from the 3127 it would have been really nice.
It was hard to see what you meant at first, because it just looks a bit like the old RG2570 in silver front on. However, when you see a side view it is not a pretty sight. Ibanez have been making a lot of finishes with front only colour recently.
karlic is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
I'm definitely edging more towards the RG652AHM-AWD, the pickups just seem to sounds so much clearer in general. Maybe it's just me, but the Fusions in the OMF just seem to sound fuzzy - at least from the majority of the videos I've seen on YT. Ideally I wouldn't want to spend the money on a Prestige and have to replace the pickups immediately.

Has anyone had any direct experience with the Tone Zone bridge pickup, does it handle metal-style tones well?
Linf1 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,335
Reviews: 21
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

I have the Tone Zone in a lot of RGs. It's a great for classic metal I'd say; Iron Maiden, Priest, Megadeth and the like. My mental image of Tone Zone is like a V8 engine. Great at low end chugging rhythm and well-defined and clear on solos. If you're thinking more modern metal like Killswitch of Slipknot or newer than that then EMGs or Fishman Fluence might be your bag.
mike570 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,931
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

I thought the Tone Zone was a little dark in a mahogany RG520, but it sounded good in an alder strat body. I would bet that in an ash body with maple fretboard it would be perfect! Hard to go by YouTube videos... who knows what kind of recording/processing they are doing to get it sounding good.

Not a fan of the Nebula Green Burst? It has the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo too...
FireEagle is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I have the Tone Zone in a lot of RGs. It's a great for classic metal I'd say; Iron Maiden, Priest, Megadeth and the like. My mental image of Tone Zone is like a V8 engine. Great at low end chugging rhythm and well-defined and clear on solos. If you're thinking more modern metal like Killswitch of Slipknot or newer than that then EMGs or Fishman Fluence might be your bag.
Thanks for your insight Mike, yeah my playing is more on the modern metal side, Killswitch being a great example. Not a fan of EMG's but I'll definitely keep the Fishman Fluences in mind. I've also heard good things about the Bareknuckle range, the Juggernaught's in particular.
Linf1 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I thought the Tone Zone was a little dark in a mahogany RG520, but it sounded good in an alder strat body. I would bet that in an ash body with maple fretboard it would be perfect! Hard to go by YouTube videos... who knows what kind of recording/processing they are doing to get it sounding good.

Not a fan of the Nebula Green Burst? It has the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo too...
Yeah I've seen the NGB model, I do like the Green finish too. But for some reason, white finishes on guitars always jump out at me!
FireEagle likes this.
Linf1 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,335
Reviews: 21
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

The OMF finish looks like it's missing a G at the end.
Seriously, from pics I've seen it looks like a nice finish. I'm wary though of any flat finish on a guitar as the lack of a clear coat often means your hands will make wear marks in the top over time. I think Nebula Green and the White have a clear coat over top, no? Both are gorgeous and that blonde binding makes them even prettier.
mike570 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,548
re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

when it comes to tone zone, I have several experiences:

on basswood-maple board ( RG 3770DX), sounds great, big, full of life.
on Ash- maple board ( RG652MBQS) , a little treble sharp compared to the above.
on Neckthru mahogany wings flame maple top, maple neck-ebony fingerboard ( RG9670), almost sound like in basswood but deeper. Not bassy, but deep and clear.
on Mahogany with flame maple top- rosewood board ( RG 8570), simply dead, just dead. no other words to describe how awful it sounds.

overall, it's great all around pickup, it does many thing. I'm not sure about what you describe about modern metal, in my book it does everything.
in the past maybe I will replace instantly TZ with some other distortion class humbucker to suit my needs, but today TZ is just fine.
Maybe because I'm old now...
psychoshredder is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
when it comes to tone zone, I have several experiences:

on basswood-maple board ( RG 3770DX), sounds great, big, full of life.
on Ash- maple board ( RG652MBQS) , a little treble sharp compared to the above.
on Neckthru mahogany wings flame maple top, maple neck-ebony fingerboard ( RG9670), almost sound like in basswood but deeper. Not bassy, but deep and clear.
on Mahogany with flame maple top- rosewood board ( RG 8570), simply dead, just dead. no other words to describe how awful it sounds.

overall, it's great all around pickup, it does many thing. I'm not sure about what you describe about modern metal, in my book it does everything.
in the past maybe I will replace instantly TZ with some other distortion class humbucker to suit my needs, but today TZ is just fine.
Maybe because I'm old now...

Thanks a lot for the insight, really appreciated. Unfortunately the two models above are out of stock in my area until October.

In the meantime I have been looking at the RG652BG Prestige model instead.

Build:
Neck type Super Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
body Sapele Burl top/African Mahogany body
Fretboard Bound Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
Pickups Air Norton/Tone Zone

Has anyone had any experience playing this guitar, slightly concerned by Psychoshredders's experience with the compatibility/combination between the Tone Zone and Mahogany body and Rosewood fretboard.

Any insight/opinions would be great.
Linf1 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Title edited.
Linf1 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,931
Re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linf1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the insight, really appreciated. Unfortunately the two models above are out of stock in my area until October.

In the meantime I have been looking at the RG652BG Prestige model instead.

Build:
Neck type Super Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
body Sapele Burl top/African Mahogany body
Fretboard Bound Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
Pickups Air Norton/Tone Zone

Has anyone had any experience playing this guitar, slightly concerned by Psychoshredders's experience with the compatibility/combination between the Tone Zone and Mahogany body and Rosewood fretboard.

Any insight/opinions would be great.

My RG520QS (mahogany body w/quilted sapele top) sounded pretty dark/dull with the tone zone... but that was just my perception. That guitar was particularly dark and dull and it took a set of Evo2 and Paf Pro pickups to wake it up, so the RG652BG may be different.
FireEagle is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 AM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,475
Reviews: 1
Re: RG652BG or RG652AHM-AWD or RG652AHM-OMF (Prestige)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linf1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the insight, really appreciated. Unfortunately the two models above are out of stock in my area until October.

In the meantime I have been looking at the RG652BG Prestige model instead.

Build:
Neck type Super Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
body Sapele Burl top/African Mahogany body
Fretboard Bound Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
Pickups Air Norton/Tone Zone

Has anyone had any experience playing this guitar, slightly concerned by Psychoshredders's experience with the compatibility/combination between the Tone Zone and Mahogany body and Rosewood fretboard.

Any insight/opinions would be great.
Is the RG652BG in stock locally to try? The 652A Ash body is generally going to be brighter, so is maple fretboard. So obviously the BG w/ mahogany/rosewood has slightly smoother, warmer tone. EQ/Presence knob tweak makes telling the A from B probably impossible. Since the axes are close enough to call equivalent IMHO go with the one you like the looks of and is defect-free.

If you like the look of it, pull the trigger. Who knows how many Ibanez will make and for how long especially with actual rosewood. As per any Ibanez top, get several high-res photos of the actual axe so there are no bad surprises. Good luck.
jemsite is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ibanez RG652BG gearbug All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 13 05-28-2018 07:17 PM
FS: 2015 Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM Nebula Green Burst w/ Ibanez Rules Gold setup rhildinger Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 10 04-19-2016 07:59 AM
Ibanez prestige quality control - RG652ahm - locking nut too small? fraand123 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 03-23-2016 11:50 AM
WTB Ibanez AWD 102, Fender Strat, or nice acoustic! Smitty Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 04-05-2009 06:10 PM
Artcore AWD Dinosaur All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 1 04-29-2005 06:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome