RG652FX neck compared to RG550? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

RG652FX neck compared to RG550?

Greetings all. I'm a new member looking for a little advice.

Regretfully, it's time to retire my old square heel RG550. After 20-something odd years of playing the neck has developed a twist, it needs a re-fret, and the knife edges are worn out on the bridge. Basically, it's shot. I have been checking out the current Prestige lineup, and the 652 looks like a perfect fit. My old 550 also has a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo, and I'd actually prefer a hard tail these days. I don't know the specs of the original Wizard, so I'm not sure how it compares to the Super Wizard HP. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Re: RG652FX neck compared to RG550?

Well if you really love the 550, block the bridge, and get a new neck, and you'll save a lot of money!

If not, good luck in your journey for finding a new axe man!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Or buy a new bridge from Rich, get a new neck and that will be 1000 times cheaper than a new guitar.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Or buy a new bridge from Rich, get a new neck and that will be 1000 times cheaper than a new guitar.
You can get a trem AND neck for 80 cents?! That's some serious shopping there!

Otherwise, it's probably not the trem, you probably have loose anchors. Then again, there's nothing wrong with spending a little dough and getting a nice new guitar.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You can get a trem AND neck for 80 cents?! That's some serious shopping there!

Otherwise, it's probably not the trem, you probably have loose anchors. Then again, there's nothing wrong with spending a little dough and getting a nice new guitar.
Always the comedian, eh Rich?

If it's just loose anchors, it's a pretty cheap fix comparatively to buying a whole new guitar.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Vendor

A good refret isn't, and maybe after 20 years it's just time for a new / different guitar, which he's asking with this thread I think. Especially if it's a hardtail compared to the trem model, it's a very different guitar.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Welcome to Jemsite Mr Boogie!

There's actually a whole lot different between the Wizard on your 550 and the new Wizard HP. The Wiz HP is thinner, faster and MUCH smoother to play on. IMO, it's the single best Wizard neck made to date. It's what the Original Wizard should have been and what the Super Wizard tried to be.

There are some differences you should know about though. The HP neck is 2mm wider at the 24th fret than your 550's. People with smaller hands have made mention that this makes playing harder for them. People with normal to large size hands seem to prefer the HP. The nut on the HP is the same width as that on your 550. This makes the neck feel the same from the 1st to the 9th/10th. the slight widening is only noticeable to me above the 15th.

The HP neck also has a top mount nut and a volute. these two things together make for a stronger neck for a lot of reasons. If your not used to a volute it may take a little time to get accustomed.

I recently bought a 752 from Rich (above). Although the 752 and 652 have some obvious differences, I can tell you that the build quality FAR surpasses anything from Ibanez's "golden era". I could never have said that about Prestige guitars prior to this years offerings. These ones are truly that good........
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Specs:

*************Original Wizard / Wizard HP******
Scale-........................25.5" / 25.5"
Nut width-..................43mm / 43mm
Heel Width-.................56mm / 58mm
1st fret thickness.........17mm / 17mm
12th fret ""..................19mm / 18mm
Fretboard radius...........430mm / 430mm
Construction 1-piece with scarf / 5-piece with volute
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the 652 may work well for me. The extra heel width is actually a good thing, as I have very large hands. I know the old 550 could be fixed up. I'm just in the mood for a new axe. I'm a bit of a gear junkie. I'd been on a blues kick for several years, and played nothing but Strats, but I've been playing heavier/faster stuff lately. I am thinking of replacing a few of my old "performance" guitars. I also have a Jem (the Korean one, which I have never liked) and a couple 80's Japanese ESP's. I've had them for ages and just want something new. Possibly a couple somethings.

Last edited by MrBoogie; 08-05-2014 at 11:52 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 AM
Vendor

Check your PM's
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoogie View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I think the 652 may work well for me. The extra heel width is actually a good thing, as I have very large hands. I know the old 550 could be fixed up. I'm just in the mood for a new axe. I'm a bit of a gear junkie. I'd been on a blues kick for several years, and played nothing but Strats, but I've been playing heavier/faster stuff lately. I am thinking of replacing a few of my old "performance" guitars. I also have a Jem (the Korean one, which I have never liked) and a couple 80's Japanese ESP's. I've had them for ages and just want something new. Possibly a couple somethings.
If you can afford to do both, I'd consider grabbing a new guitar, AND rehabbing your old 550. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I'm always hesitant to let go of a guitar I have a lot of history with. I don't have a 20-year old RG, but I bought my Strat back in '98, and I'll never sell that thing. It's just been with me too long.

When you say the neck is twisted... How bad are we talking about? You're sure it's really a neck twist and not just something where the truss rod needs to be adjusted?

A good refret is going to cost you a couple hundred bucks, a new Edge would be about the same, and if it's really the studs are loose and not the knife edges, well, that's nothing I've ever fixed myself nor had someone do for me so I'd be hesitant to estimate, but that's a repairable issue too. And even if your neck IS twisted and it's not just in need of a truss rod adjustment, you may be able to have the fretboard planed as part of your refret to correct this. All in I'd be surprised if you can't get your 550 back into top playing shape for less than $500. Not cheap, but you'll have a guitar you've owned forever back in the condition it deserves to be.

And, you should buy the 652FX anyway, because two guitars are better than one.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
If you can afford to do both, I'd consider grabbing a new guitar, AND rehabbing your old 550. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I'm always hesitant to let go of a guitar I have a lot of history with. I don't have a 20-year old RG, but I bought my Strat back in '98, and I'll never sell that thing. It's just been with me too long.

When you say the neck is twisted... How bad are we talking about? You're sure it's really a neck twist and not just something where the truss rod needs to be adjusted?

A good refret is going to cost you a couple hundred bucks, a new Edge would be about the same, and if it's really the studs are loose and not the knife edges, well, that's nothing I've ever fixed myself nor had someone do for me so I'd be hesitant to estimate, but that's a repairable issue too. And even if your neck IS twisted and it's not just in need of a truss rod adjustment, you may be able to have the fretboard planed as part of your refret to correct this. All in I'd be surprised if you can't get your 550 back into top playing shape for less than $500. Not cheap, but you'll have a guitar you've owned forever back in the condition it deserves to be.

And, you should buy the 652FX anyway, because two guitars are better than one.
I'll probably get around to rehabbing the old 550 one of these days. I'm not going to get rid of it. It was one of my main guitars for a very long time, so it is kind of sentimental. It's also why it is so worn out. The neck twist isn't horrible, but can't be completely corrected with a truss rod adjustment. It's not unplayable. It's just not quite what it used to be. New anchors may help the bridge out, but the knife edges are actually worn. Like I said, this was one of my main guitars for ages, and at one time I was playing out 2-3 times per week. I'm sure it has several thousand hours of playing time.

Last edited by MrBoogie; 08-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoogie View Post
I'll probably get around to rehabbing the old 550 one of these days. I'm not going to get rid of it. It was one of my main guitars for a very long time, so it is kind of sentimental. It's also why it is so worn out. The neck twist isn't horrible, but I can't be completely corrected with a truss rod adjustment. It's not unplayable. It's just not quite what it used to be. New anchors may help the bridge out, but the knife edges are actually worn. Like I said, this was one of my main guitars for ages, and at one time I was playing out 2-3 times per week. I'm sure it has several thousand hours of playing time.
Good. Get the neck into the hands of a qualified tech, I'm sure they can do somthing about it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Just thought I'd add an update on my old 550. I decided to do a setup on it yesterday to see if I could get any of the neck twist out. It apparently developed a movement in the scarf joint since the last time I played it. There is a fairly prominent ridge at the scarf joint and the first fret is dead across the board. It needs a new neck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode