RG655 horn strap lock loosening - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

RG655 horn strap button loosening

The strap button on my RG655 has loosened up enough that the button will rotate. I very lightly snugged up the Phillips head screw to stop it but I'm concerned it will keep working loose.

Is there any way to stop this?

Just how fragile is the top horn area where it's screwed in? I'd hate to keep tightening it and eventually have it strip, slop around and not stay snug. I also hate the idea of putting any adhesive in there and having it expand and crack down the road.

Thoughts?

Last edited by BillK01; 12-12-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Vendor

Re: RG655 horn strap lock loosening

It's no different than any other hole in the wood, tighten it up until it's tight.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich. With the horn being so much more skinny and pointy that on my Strats I was concerned the minimal amount of wood up there would make it more prone to cracking.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Vendor

You're just tightening it until it doesn't spin, not trying to drive it thru the paint
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 08:56 PM

it happens all the time.
I'll wrap some tape ( the tape you use from plumbing) around the screw, then tighten it back.
works all the time too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 PM

Teflon tape, thats a good idea!! Thin and wraps around the thread well.

I dont know if I ever stood with the guitar. I kept a strap on it when I was sitting though just to make sure it was caught by the strap if I leaned forward for something.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:32 AM
Vendor

To fix any stripped or loose hole run CA in it, big drops on a B string, or a D if it's a little hole, a lot if totally stripped or a little if just loose. Coat the inside of the hole and add a drop of accelerator, compressed air blast to dry. Swells the wood and gets the frags to stand up, and when you run a screw in you'll cut the threads. It's far stronger than the original Wood threads were and it's not going to strip. I use this method for every stripped hole now including neck screws and lots of nut screws.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 PM

Try working a shim into the hole before you screw the screw in.

A friend of mine helped me a lot with this tip:

I just cut a piece of DiMarzio packaging out - about 2.5 mm x 10 mm - and worked it into the screw hole before screwing the screw back in. If you do that, it should stay tight.

I just installed two different Cliplocks (it doesn't matter if we're talking ClipLocks or conventional straps) in my guitar over the last two days (don't ask), and you just have to a) know which screws to use, and b) screw it until it's quite tight.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
To fix any stripped or loose hole run CA in it, big drops on a B string, or a D if it's a little hole, a lot if totally stripped or a little if just loose. Coat the inside of the hole and add a drop of accelerator, compressed air blast to dry. Swells the wood and gets the frags to stand up, and when you run a screw in you'll cut the threads. It's far stronger than the original Wood threads were and it's not going to strip. I use this method for every stripped hole now including neck screws and lots of nut screws.
Good tip there, Rich.

Better than mine, LOL!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I need to add, if you're dealing with a small diameter screw, truss cover, early version top mount nut screw [especially 7 sting], etc. do not use a lot of CA and get the hole tight. You will snap the screw off trying to screw it in leaving you with a much bigger problem. Less is always more. You can always add.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode