RG655 or RG652AHM? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

RG655 or RG652AHM?

Hi all,

New to the forum and I'm just doing my research on Ibby's and had some questions. First off how do prestiges compare fit/finish/build wise to other guitars In this price range (1200-1500 US), or even comparing to some of the US Jackson, JP6 or suhr modern satin range (for those that know)

Next what do you think between these two models, I'm digging the Ash body on the 652, but there's not a ton of info on it.

Anyways thanks for considering these thoughts appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:23 PM

Re: RG655 or RG652AHM?

EBMM/Suhr are definitely better built. USA Jacksons are so bad we stopped dealing them.

Prestiges are good for the money, but again, definitely not quite Suhr/EBMM level.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Vendor

I'm not sure how anybody could say an EBMM is made better than a [non maple board or stainless] Prestige. I haven't stopped by their booth in a few years but there was zero difference for the previous 10 years I did. There's a reason I quit selling EBMM's in 2003, and it's the same reason you won't handle USA Jacksons.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:59 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

some of us have unintentional bias... anyone can say anything... but i believe some of you overestimate the quality of your favorite RG or JEM or other axe for example.

For example Rich, the ASF-180 i purchased from you several months ago has far better quality than most "prestige" ibanez instruments i've run across going back 30 years now. But that level of quality is not given to all Ibanez "prestige" lines.

In regard to RG655 or RG652AHM i'd try both but it's hard to overlook the horrid looks of the 652
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Vendor

Some overestimate the quality of other brands also

The builders on the line doing those hollows are just a step above, there is no doubt. They're better than the guys building the JEM's, which puts them far ahead of the hands building the 655's.

But don't bring aesthetics into it if you're on the loosing side because that AHMNGB is one of the best selling models they've had in many years
fredrocks likes this.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM

Prestiges are really good for their money. Of the brands/guitars you mentioned, Suhr will have the best fit/finish/build, no doubt. Price reflects that though, as they cost much more than Prestige. At least here in Canada. Followed by the others.. I don't really have experience with USA Jackson so I can't comment, but I don't really have much interest. I would guess they're above Prestige, but I'd love to learn more about the issues that Stealth and Rich are referring to.

I'd say today's EBMM JPs are little above today's Prestige in build quality / quality control. There's so many JP models though. I find the JP6/7 are quite similar to Prestige in specs and finishing. They're quite bare. Biggest difference is they have SS frets and piezo though. SS frets are a deal breaker for many. I think I'd have a Prestige over a JP6 though because I like how they play and look more.
There's also so many BFR / anniversary JP models, which are the one's I'd put above today's Prestige in terms of quality. Feel and playability is subjective so I would recommend comparing if you can. I own a JP15, and it's great.. Feels more boutique-ish compared to Prestige. I'd say more comparable to my J Customs rather than Prestige. Which would be understandable given the massive price difference between a JP15 and Prestige here in Canada. Aside from the JP15, my other guitars are RGs... I like the JP15 bc it's different - SS frets, roasted maple neck, piezo, non double-locking trem. I should note, although I got the JP15 used, it has a tool mark on the fretboard and some tiny pimples in the finish (a few on body and 1 or 2 on headstock). Not a big deal bc of the deal I got, but unacceptable if buying brand new.. They're quite expensive. I've never really seen tool marks on any Prestige or JC.

The 655 and 652 will be identical in quality. Preference will likely be the deciding factor here... in aesthetics and pickup configuration for the most part.

Last edited by Steveche; 04-14-2017 at 03:15 PM.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Some overestimate the quality of other brands also

The builders on the line doing those hollows are just a step above, there is no doubt. They're better than the guys building the JEM's, which puts them far ahead of the hands building the 655's.

But don't bring aesthetics into it if you're on the loosing side because that AHMNGB is one of the best selling models they've had in many years
For sure. Birdseye maple and "it's different" have to be selling points from the front it looks ok... just can't get over an axe that ugly from the view shown for the price though why would they not stain that.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Vendor

It's a natural ash back, and evidently alot of people like the way it looks because they voted the most important way they can, with their hard earned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
Prestiges are really good for their money. Of the brands/guitars you mentioned, Suhr will have the best fit/finish/build, no doubt. Price reflects that though, as they cost much more than Prestige. At least here in Canada. Followed by the others.. I don't really have experience with USA Jackson so I can't comment, but I don't really have much interest. I would guess they're above Prestige, but I'd love to learn more about the issues that Stealth and Rich are referring to.

I'd say today's EBMM JPs are little above today's Prestige in build quality / quality control. There's so many JP models though. I find the JP6/7 are quite similar to Prestige in specs and finishing. They're quite bare. Biggest difference is they have SS frets and piezo though. SS frets are a deal breaker for many. I think I'd have a Prestige over a JP6 though because I like how they play and look more.
There's also so many BFR / anniversary JP models, which are the one's I'd put above today's Prestige in terms of quality. Feel and playability is subjective so I would recommend comparing if you can. I own a JP15, and it's great.. Feels more boutique-ish compared to Prestige. I'd say more comparable to my J Customs rather than Prestige. Which would be understandable given the massive price difference between a JP15 and Prestige here in Canada. Aside from the JP15, my other guitars are RGs... I like the JP15 bc it's different - SS frets, roasted maple neck, piezo, non double-locking trem. I should note, although I got the JP15 used, it has a tool mark on the 20th fret and some tiny pimples in the finish (a few on body and 1 or 2 on headstock).

The 655 and 652 will be identical in quality. Preference will likely be the deciding factor here... in aesthetics and pickup configuration for the most part.
Does the JP15 have ANY fret end finishing at all? Because nothing EBMM has for all the years I'd go down and check the guitars in the booth. No better fit, no better finishing, lots more colors of course and you can custom order out the wazoo, and a nice waxed neck finish [but that's just an alternative to the norm] but none have anything to do with "quality".
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
It's a natural ash back, and evidently alot of people like the way it looks because they voted the most important way they can, with their hard earned
Great! No reason to get all defensive about it. Star wars 7 was a good film - great sales - but could have been better no? You think the natural back is the reason they purchased or maybe the birdseye and ash being the main factor and uniqueness which customers overlook the side/back view?
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Does the JP15 have ANY fret end finishing at all? Because nothing EBMM has for all the years I'd go down and check the guitars in the booth. No better fit, no better finishing, lots more colors of course and you can custom order out the wazoo, and a nice waxed neck finish [but that's just an alternative to the norm] but none have anything to do with "quality".
Fret end finishing is better on JC no doubt, with rounded fret ends. The JP15's fret ends feel similar to stock Prestige. Maybe Prestige are cut at a greater angle. I've never compared actually, but the 15's fret ends never bugged me so I never thought to. They don't stick out or feel sharp.
I've got to say, the gunstock wax finish has become my favourite neck finish from what I've experienced. It's ridiculously smooth all the time, especially coupled with SS frets.

It's hard to explain.. but you know when a guitar feels like a quality guitar? My 770DX and RGA420z feel great for example, but the 15 just feels like a higher end guitar when I play it. Not by a ton.. Just more of a boutique feeling like when I play a Suhr. Doesn't mean I enjoy it more necessarily, because I really enjoy playing my RGs. Ibanez neck profiles feel the best to me.

As for finishes, many JPs are solid or sparkle colours. But if they're figured BFR models, wouldn't you consider that under build quality? I can't speak on any differences between Prestige and JP material quality... But I appreciate my JP15's woods / figuring. I used to have a JP12 but didn't care for the finish. Hardware and electronics are always great too. Never really seen or heard of any neck pocket or hump neck issues.

I could take a picture when I'm home. But I have this for now (tool mark also visible at 20th fret):

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Great! No reason to get all defensive about it. Star wars 7 was a good film - great sales - but could have been better no? You think the natural back is the reason they purchased or maybe the birdseye and ash being the main factor and uniqueness which customers overlook the side/back view?
I wasn't, just stating the truth as seen.
I think today if there something about a guitar that turns a buyer off, they pass. So whatever it is, it's working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
Fret end finishing is better on JC no doubt, with rounded fret ends. The JP15's fret ends feel similar to stock Prestige. Maybe Prestige are cut at a greater angle. I've never compared actually, but the 15's fret ends never bugged me so I never thought to. They don't stick out or feel sharp.
I've got to say, the gunstock wax finish has become my favourite neck finish from what I've experienced. It's ridiculously smooth all the time, especially coupled with SS frets.

It's hard to explain.. but you know when a guitar feels like a quality guitar? My 770DX and RGA420z feel great for example, but the 15 just feels like a higher end guitar when I play it. Not by a ton.. Just more of a boutique feeling like when I play a Suhr. Doesn't mean I enjoy it more necessarily, because I really enjoy playing my RGs. Ibanez neck profiles feel the best to me.

As for finishes, many JPs are solid or sparkle colours. But if they're figured BFR models, wouldn't you consider that under build quality? I can't speak on any differences between Prestige and JP material quality... But I appreciate my JP15's woods / figuring. I used to have a JP12 but didn't care for the finish. Hardware and electronics are always great too. Never really seen or heard of any neck pocket or hump neck issues.

I could take a picture when I'm home. But I have this for now (tool mark also visible at 20th fret):

I do not consider quality of woods in build quality, build quality is simply the quality of the "build". Tolerances, how well the had work is done, and that picture demonstrates exactly what I'm referring to. Zero fret end finishing, no fretboard edge finishing. That's equivalent to maple board and stainless Prestige Ibanez. And the tool mark is definitely part of build "lack of quality".

I get it on the neck feel, I like it to, but I like the way Ibanez satin clear feels also, it's preference not quality [although yes, I agree, very nice].
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Vendor

BTW yes, all Disney Star Wars could be better, but visually they're already light sabers ahead of Lucas's work because the tech is that much better now
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I do not consider quality of woods in build quality, build quality is simply the quality of the "build". Tolerances, how well the had work is done, and that picture demonstrates exactly what I'm referring to. Zero fret end finishing, no fretboard edge finishing. That's equivalent to maple board and stainless Prestige Ibanez. And the tool mark is definitely part of build "lack of quality".

I get it on the neck feel, I like it to, but I like the way Ibanez satin clear feels also, it's preference not quality [although yes, I agree, very nice].
Well, at least the fret ends and fretboard edge doesn't bug me! I guess it doesn't bug most people or they'd change it? Anyway, I think the biggest reason I ever wanted a JP was because they're built well and have cool features to offer, to sway a little away from my RGs. The piezo sounds delicious! They're definitely built as good as Prestige.. maybe better materials, maybe not. More options like roasted and rosewood necks. I think they have better consistency / QC than current Prestige.

Considering that they're still well built instruments, with consistency, and the features they offer, I think it's understandable that they cost more than Prestige. But to me, many guitars like Suhr and EBMM, are too expensive at retail price.. The JP15 is literally like $4500 CAD after taxes here in Canada... Jeez. Maybe I just need more expendable income lol. I have to say - if buying new, I'd buy a Prestige bc of the money.. But that's not really an argument for people who have money.

By the way, do you mean equivalent to Prestige with maple board + SS frets? Or are there issues with SS fret Prestiges? I'd love to see more Prestiges with SS frets in the future.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Vendor

The SS fret Prestige get as much end attention [time wise] as a rosewood/ebony board Prestige [unlike maple which gets nothing]. The problem is SS takes 4 times the amount of time to get to the same level as nickel silver, so with the same amount of work done, you get 25% of the results.

But all EB's are the same, or have been all these years I've walked down to check out the booth, zero fret end or board edge work. Nice really shiny polished frets, but nothing that really matters to the feel. They are sharp, just like a maple board Prestige.

But I get it, you get to choose from tons of options, and who doesn't like to have choices? They have a very good business model in that respect, but that isn't quality either
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The SS fret Prestige get as much end attention [time wise] as a rosewood/ebony board Prestige [unlike maple which gets nothing]. The problem is SS takes 4 times the amount of time to get to the same level as nickel silver, so with the same amount of work done, you get 25% of the results.

But all EB's are the same, or have been all these years I've walked down to check out the booth, zero fret end or board edge work. Nice really shiny polished frets, but nothing that really matters to the feel. They are sharp, just like a maple board Prestige.

But I get it, you get to choose from tons of options, and who doesn't like to have choices? They have a very good business model in that respect, but that isn't quality either
From my limited experience with maple board Prestige, I think the EBMM fret ends are a bit better. It's hard to capture in photos though because of lightning - the ends look straighter in the photo than they really are. Maybe it's an illusion though bc the fret wires aren't usually as big as Prestige.. But the fret ends on some of the maple Prestiges I've played felt flat/straight on the ends and needed attention. I just got home and have the JP15 in my hands, and I don't notice the fret ends when I run my hand up and down the sides of the board. I never thought they felt sharp tbh. I see what you're saying though - for the price of these, they could definitely spend more time on the fret ends. Rounding them out a bit would be nice.

Now that you mentioned board edge work - I've always found the JP15, and other JPs with 17" radius, feels flatter than my Prestiges, even though the radius on both are identical. Maybe that explains it. Prestige board edges are rounded off with the radius?

In the end, if money is not an issue, I think brands like EBMM and Suhr have more variety in terms of specs and materials. Specs are subjective of course. But if simple is what a person wants, it's tough to beat Prestige, especially for the Price. JC is fairly basic for the most part as well in terms of specs and material offerings, it's just done very well. Although RGs are my #1, I can see why people prefer the EBMM/Suhr/etc choices when money isn't an issue.

BTW, how are the nuts on Prestige hardtails? I find the compensated nuts on EBs are cut really nice.

That's crappy about the stainless Prestige. Do you still work on them, depending on the package a customers buys from you? I'd imagine they wear out your tools quick.

Last edited by Steveche; 04-14-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Tags
prestige , rg652ahm , rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode