RG655 vs Kiesel Aries - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

RG655 vs Kiesel Aries

I know this is jemsite....and I'm looking for something non signature series....anyone know if one guitar is of better quality.

I read one review that diesel quality matches j custom....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: RG655 vs Kiesel Aries

I read that they found a London bus on the moon and that Elvis Presley is actually a Colonel in the Air Force responsible for test flights of reverse engineered alien technology!

Kiesel may look nice but I've heard too many horror stories to ever trust buying one sight unseen. My own opinion is that they're an internet brand fuelled by internet hype. That said, I've never tried one myself so my opinion on their guitars themselves is not worth much !
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 AM

I've owned two Carvins and still have one. The quality is pretty much as good as it gets. I've also owned a couple of Prestiges (RG2610 and RG1570). Remember that you have a ten day trial with any Kiesel you order.

I don't think you can say one is better than the other. I do think you will get more for you money with Kiesel. The fret work, fit and finish is excellent. You would pay 1000-1500 more for the same guitar if they were sold in retail stores. Go to the builder and put together an Aries without a fancy top. You can choose the woods you want and ss frets for about the same price as a RG. You also have the option to get a thinner neck, but note that it will still be about 19mm at the first fret and 21mm and change at the 12th.

I really comes down to what your preference is. You can't go wrong with either. My 1570 was one of the best guitars I ever played. It had serious mojo. I'd like to get another or the new Premium with ss frets. A bit of arthritis in my thumb is keeping me away from the thin necks though. I hope this info helps.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja View Post
I've owned two Carvins and still have one. The quality is pretty much as good as it gets. I've also owned a couple of Prestiges (RG2610 and RG1570). Remember that you have a ten day trial with any Kiesel you order.

I don't think you can say one is better than the other. I do think you will get more for you money with Kiesel. The fret work, fit and finish is excellent. You would pay 1000-1500 more for the same guitar if they were sold in retail stores. Go to the builder and put together an Aries without a fancy top. You can choose the woods you want and ss frets for about the same price as a RG. You also have the option to get a thinner neck, but note that it will still be about 19mm at the first fret and 21mm and change at the 12th.

I really comes down to what your preference is. You can't go wrong with either. My 1570 was one of the best guitars I ever played. It had serious mojo. I'd like to get another or the new Premium with ss frets. A bit of arthritis in my thumb is keeping me away from the thin necks though. I hope this info helps.
My biggest concerns with kiesel are the neck profile, the sales rep told me even with the thinner neck option, its not as thin as a wizard neck and how the lithium pickups sound.

kiesel definitely offers more options, which is whew Ibanez lacks. I have a choice of black or blue and thats it lol
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM

I have a Carvin and once I sent it back for them to fix the bad route for the bridge the piezo stopped working. They put it back together wrong. So it was obvious no one bothered to test the bridge to see if it worked after fixing it.

The thinnest neck profile they have is the Jason Becker profile. Google it and see how thin it is and how it compares to the wizard. I don't recall currently what it was measured to be.

They are a semi-custom shop in that you can get more options which is nice. I traveled to their store in San Diego and tested all the necks and options before ordering mine. That being said even their closest options to what I want ended up not being close enough. I rarely play my carvin anymore since I started building guitars with my local luthier and can build exactly what I want.

Some folks can play whatever neck they find where as I much prefer one that fits my hands and style best. So if you like the wizard neck you will never be satisfied with anything else if you are picky like me.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 PM

I struggled with wondering if I could adapt to a non-wizard neck, too. Surprisingly, it was very easy for me. For some it won't be. You simply need to decide if your willing to wait the eight weeks or so for a Kiesel build to find out if it's a good fit. Just be sure that if you order anything that's not standard ( It's called an option 50), like a thin neck, that you do not void the ten day trial period. You definitely want the option to return it if it's not for you.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

The kind of music I play is megadeth, Metallica, satriani, Timmons, dream theater, vai. Those are my main influences. Been getting into govan, Andy wood and Martin Miller.

So I feel that ibanez is the reliable choice. I really do like the edge trem, although I wish you could tighten the bar to stay in place vs keep always buying new bushings. I'm a dimarzio guy so I wouldn't have to change pickups. I feel like the rg655 is a solid choice that I can't go wrong with.

The Kiesel has my interest cause I can get alder or mahagony, flamed maple neck, abalone inlays. The original Floyd I have had in a Jackson sl2h and I did like it, just I think the edge is a better tremolo. And the neck profile and pickups are the biggest unknowns.

And if money wasn't an object, I'd get a custom suhr modern. That's really what I want but I'm finding it really difficult to drop $3300-$3800 on a guitar.

I have to to have 24 frets, recessed bridge, would prefer either a compound radius 12-16" or a 14-16" flat radius.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 AM

Reviews: 7

I have owned a Carvin in the past a DC800; all I can say it was all show and no go. I changed the pickups thinking that would help and the guitar for me had no good tone. I eventually sold it because it didnt inspire my ears. If you want a Suhr, then save up for a Suhr, otherwise you might be chasing guitars forever. I own several Ibanez guitars that I adore and love. You just have to find that guitar that does "IT" for you and the Suhr might be it; then again it might not. Good luck.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Peronally, I'd go with the Ibanez.

Prior to the name change, Carvin had a reputation for making consistently decent semi-customs and giving you a lot of options, but not being especially toneful and often tending to be kind of bright and not all that resonant. I've played a bunch of them, and one or two were phenominal but most of the rest were average - fine, decent value for the money, but nothing special.

Post name change, Kiesel has erred on the side of flash over quality. The "Kiesel edition" ones are often tacky as hell, and while they've expanded the number of models and options they've produced, quality control has slipped. Customer service has slipped a little too - I understand their policy of not letting people return "Option 50" guitars, or guitars with one-off features not one of their usual options, but I've seen instances where people have ordered an option 50, had that particular feature come out different than they'd ordered, and then still not been able to return it even though there was a clear Kiesel error. I've heard a lot more QC problem stories post the name change than I ever did under Carvin, and pricing has increased, as well.

A 655 is basically the old RG550/570 with Prestige branding, and a 550/570 is an absolute staple guitar. Throw an upgraded set of pickups in there and it's a great all around shred/metal/rock guitar with a surprising amount of versatility.

Though, +1 on "if you want a Suhr, just get a Suhr." My main player is a Modern 7, and it's a spectacular guitar.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie7 View Post

I read one review that diesel quality matches j custom....
Lol!! Erm....nope..not even close!! :-) 1 review?? Are you kidding?
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 AM

I would consider a Carvin/Kiesel bass, but not a guitar at this point. As Drew said earlier, they have gone flash over quality in that shop and quality has apparently dropped because of it.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

well guys, a little update. I had a conversation with one of kiesel's guys today and it was far from pleasant. The guy's tone was ANNOYED with all of his responses, I started to wonder are they in the SELLING BUSINESS?

Needless to say, I was already on the fence on whether to give then a try or not, but this really sealed the deal.

Will be looking at a rg655 from rich once he gets them in stock.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Vendor

Carvin changed their name? Sometimes I think I live under a rock.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes. All the pro audio is under carvin. Kiesel is the guitars.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Vendor

Hmmm, I see it was the founders last name.

Why rebrand after 60 years? Unless the old brand just wasn't working anymore.

I had heard of Keisel, I though it was some custom shop in the EU

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode