RG7 Sounds Not So Thick... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 30
RG7 Sounds Not So Thick...

Hey again, since I stripped my guitar body, I've decided I like the looks of the raw wood finish. But with the good, seems to come the bad also. Now that there is no finish, the guitar sounds amazingly dull on the bottom-end. The treble sounds pretty good, but the bass side of the strings sound not as thick as they used to. Any ideas? Would a couple layers of clearcoat do the job and give back it's thick sound?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 05:54 AM

Hmmmm. Most violin makers beleive a violins tone improves once they are finished and the finish ages a bit. The finish you had on yours definitely effected it in some way. you may want to try a nice light stain, and that would also give it that rootbeer jem look some of us love
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM

are you using fresh strings? I always thought that a bare finish was supposed to resonate better, and since the treble strings got a slight treble boost, my guess would be it's just more responsive to the fact thatyour bass strings are dead... If this is the case, you might want to look into Elixer Nanowebs- the coating is thin enough that you won't really notice it, tonally or otherwise, but it'll help you kepe that "new" sound on your bass strings longer.

just a hunch...

-Drew

PS- got pics? i've always wodnered what bare basswood would look like...
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Nope, don't have pics as of yet, but could probably get some for you within the next week or so. The strings might need a change too. Also, would it be a bad idea to raise the poles with an allen wrench to get more of a bass response?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 04:25 PM

No rush on the pics, just idle curiosity...

So, in order.... Yeah, i'd do a string change before you do anything else. Nothing sounds worse than a 7-string with old strings- it's like a crappy sounding upright bass, only worse. Throw on some fresh strings, and see how things change.

As for the pickups... depends on what you mean by "not as thick." Is the bass end weak? or is it muddy? I assumed you meant "muddy" when i first read this- hence the string suggestion. However, if the bass response is just nonexistant, but the upper overtones are still good (i.e- it's "cutting" well, nice and crisp, but with no body, as opposed to sounding dull, lifeless, unenergetic, and flat in the bass, with no high end on the wound strings), then maybe raising the pickup slightly on the bass side would help. Did you remove the pickups when you stripped the body? it could be that you returned them lower than they were, and consequentially the bass strings are quieter. If this is the case, then raising that side of the whole pickup might help. If not, and it's the first scenario (muddy), then maybe even a slight drop in pickup height could help. it all depends...

Fist though i'd change the strings and see what happens.

-Drew
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 05:01 PM

Drew, bare basswood is extremely white with very little grain pattern visible until stained. I have a bare 7620 I'm trying to top, not finished sanding it down completely around the edges yet. Ibanez did use some filler on this body to level it off, not much, but enough to prevent just staining the existing top.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

It very well may have been the pickups bass end being mounted down too low. Because I did do all the electronic work myself when I stripped it. I will give that a look and try it out. I also have this type of problem on my UV777BK I just got about a week ago. It seems a little too weak in the bass side, but the treble is so much louder and clearer. I like the sound of a chunky bass end. I think I will give both of these a look. If it's not the case with the UV, I will be trying a PAF7 instead of keeping the Blaze.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 07:02 PM

Thanks gresh, always wondered. Not really thinking of stripping my 7620, but curiosity's a whore....

-Drew

EDIT- ps- any updates on the guitar, Uni?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 PM

If you cant sound heavy with a blaze nothing will make you heavier. try a different amp
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for keeping you guys hanging on the update, kinda forgot about it because...it's sounding great now, same with my UV. The RG needed to have the bass side of the pickup raised a bit and it sounded better than it used to (probably due to the bare wood) and the UV needed a string change to my EB's. Used 10-56 and they sound so good. I also raised up the bass side of the bridge pickup a little bit and cut back on the treble and man does it sound awesome. For some reason, I think my past history with car audio SPL has left me with a mad desire for extreme botom end and it messes up my perception a little because people I know who play really heavy music say that mine is insanely heavy on the bottom end. So it could also have to do with this set of ears of mine.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 10:52 PM

Im guilty of the same thing. too much bass too much reverb. I hate too much treble though it kills my ears. To each his own I guess
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 01:18 AM

You guys ever try one of those Rivera Los Lobottom subs? Talk about bottom end!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I've been curious about those for a while. Description or deatails if you have them would be cool.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:25 PM

I don't think they make the seperate subs anymore but they do make the K312 which basically looks like a 4x12 cab only with 2 celestions on top seperated from a JBL sub and power amp in the bottom. I played through one once and they sound great! I must get one.
You can check it out here http://www.rivera.com/prod_khseries.htm
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Sounds pretty sick(in the good meaning). I would definately like to try this out. You think a Mesa Nomad 55 or 100 would work good for it paired up? I'm in the market for a good half-stack in the near future.

Tags
allen wrench , bass response , bridge pickup , guitar body , mesa nomad , pickup height , power amp , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode