RG7160??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

RG7160???

So I stopped by a local Mom and Pop shop on the way home from work today. To my surprise they had an Ibanez (usually the racks are full of Squiers and Epiphones...not that that's bad). The only weird thing was that it was taggede as an "RG7120". It looked like an RG7620 though, had the better trem than the RG7420, was made in Japan in 98' or 99' and the pickups seemed a little nicer. I can't find any info on the RG7160 anywhere though. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 02:59 AM

I would say it's a 7620 mislabled on the tag. After all it is a "Mom and Pop" shop.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mystery solved!!!

I checked the serial number, it indicated it was a 1999 Ibanez 7 string. And since it wasn't a Prestige, it wasnt a UV.....there was only one thing it could of been...

An RG7620!

So....for $250 I figured it'd be hard to go wrong. Here's the pics:

http://users.rcn.com/ecarpenter43/rg7620/

Thanks for the help....
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:10 PM

score!!! i got a similiar deal...a "7420" that was actually a 7620...for $250 as well! you gotta love that. you know, since that doesn't have the bubinga stripe, its got a uv neck to boot!!!! congratulations!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somata
score!!! i got a similiar deal...a "7420" that was actually a 7620...for $250 as well! you gotta love that. you know, since that doesn't have the bubinga stripe, its got a uv neck to boot!!!! congratulations!
Huh...UV neck? I thought it felt close to my prized UV777BK but I didn't realize it was THAT close.

So a few nights ago I got to doing some work on it. I pulled the strings off of it and cleaned the tremolo. I hauled 2 of the 5 springs off of the back to give it a little gentler feel. I pulled the stock pickups out of it (holy short lead on those Batman!) and put a PAF Pro 7 in the neck and a Evo7 in the bridge. I doused the fretboard with "Guitar Honey" (you could audibly hear the wood sucking up the moisture!) and gave it a good cleaning as well as put a Cliplock strap on it.

The silly damned thing is amazing. I'm floored at how even and straight this neck is; as level and even as I've ever felt one. It sounds decent; alot better than it used to but I have to admit that I think I like the stock Blazes in my UV a litte better. Either way one night of tweaking turned this froma good guitar to a great guitar.

The conundrum is this; what the hell do I do with it now. I'm considering hanging onto it for gigging out when I don't want to take my UV. If I do this I might consider having some custom work done to it; top 4 frets scalloped, fretboard inlays replaced, maybe a new paint job. But unloading it as well as my RG550 would probbaly put a Jem in my hands. I should probably wait a bit and see how I really take to it over time. My UVs in the shop now so I'm playing the RG7620 alot and am pretty satisfied wth the way it sounds.[/u]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 10:01 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
Either way one night of tweaking turned this from a good guitar to a great guitar.
a weekend tweaking an RG can make *quite* a difference. I'd keep the axe as a project guitar... glen
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 04:06 PM

Ahh... the tags say "guitar Center." Problem solved.

On the necks... We've been speculating on whether or not ibanez's description of a "UV profile" is accurate. Does it feel CLOSE to the 777bk, or does it feel exactly the same? there'll be differences due to finishing, of course, but if they feel different in shape or thickness, drop me a line. This one's got my curiosity up.

-Drew
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew

On the necks... We've been speculating on whether or not ibanez's description of a "UV profile" is accurate. Does it feel CLOSE to the 777bk, or does it feel exactly the same? there'll be differences due to finishing, of course, but if they feel different in shape or thickness, drop me a line. This one's got my curiosity up.

-Drew
Yeah...I fibbed in my original post and didn't want to give away that it was at GC. And yes, admittedly GCs lack of clue was what helped me out. The kicker is that I remember distinctly seeing other RG7160s in there over the past year or so.

My 99' UV777BK is actually getting a long-awaited and needed pro setup and has been in the shop for a week now with an ETA of Monday. Once I get it back I'll do a comparison between the two. Just from memory and "on the spot" speculation the RG seems a little wider, which I also remember from my RG7420; I actually kind of liked the wider fretboard on it. However the UV seems "deeper" on the upper part of the neck and the RG tends to become slightly more slender in the lower register.

If I had a set of calipers around here to make a comparison I would. Unfortunately it's going to mean relying on my hands...which isn't a bad thing. I am the same guy that started playing sevens because he couldn't find 6 string necks big enough for his hands.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 03:58 AM

Wish guitar center in Indianapolis would "mislabel" a 7 string. lol I'd love a deal like that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 04:40 PM

hey, it's a national chain... If they sold it in one place, it must be in their computers. Ask your store if they can order you one from another franchise.

-Drew
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
hey, it's a national chain... If they sold it in one place, it must be in their computers. Ask your store if they can order you one from another franchise.

-Drew
Actually, I second this if anyones really interested in finding one. I seem to remember seeing more than one RG7160 over the years. Odds are that GC is labeling Ibanez 7 strings which they don't really know the model of with this tag.

Now I can't guarantee that it'll go for the $250 I paid for mine. It was on clearance and they seem to have a particular distaste for 7 strings.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

-Drew
Here's what i posted in another thread:

Quote:
I own a non-bubinga RG7620 and a 1999 UV777BK. The RG is the latest to my collection but I've had it a few weeks and my UV came back from the shop earlier this week from being setup. Needless to say I've spent a good amount of time with both, at least enough to be able to notice the differences.

To start off, I openly admit that I don't know the number or model specs of each neck, what is supposed to be what, a set of calipers to back my claims, but I do know what I have and how they feel in my hands. Take my words with as much credence as you see fit....but keep in mind that I was also the guy that thought the McDLT was a great idea as well.

The big one I can feel is that the RG7620 seems to have a wider fretboard than the UV777BK. I find I need to be much more nimble on the Universe than the RG. I'll often have to be careful about fretting out strings next to fingered notes unintentionally on chord voicings. The upper part of the RG7620 seems to be a little fatter as well compared to the UV. When soloing up there I do prefer the UVs slimmer profile, but it's not a deal-breaker for me on the neck.
So I've got this guitar and I'm really digging it. I got my UV back a few days ago and played it in rehearsal last night. The UV sounds great, but I almost prefer the feel of the RG.

If I keep the RG I need to get it to a point where I really like the sound of it, which will probably mean replacing the Evo7 in the bridge with something else (I'm terribly dissapointed with the sound of it). I'm steering towards the Tone Zone 7 on it. If that doesn't do it then it'll mean going with a H-S-H like my Universe, which I love the sound of. And, of course, a paint job to round it out. I always dug the Vampire Kiss color on the RG7420s....that may have to happen.

Either way its going to make more sense to keep this than my RG550. That's been a great axe for me but I'm just not playing it with my UV and the RG7620 around; I'm pretty much full-on 7 string.

Tags
cliplock strap , frets scalloped , paf pro , string necks , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

2002 Jem VSBL
2002 Jem VSBL
for sale vsbl
jem7 vsbl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode