RG7321 Korean vs. Indonesian. Whats the difference? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Question RG7321 Korean vs. Indonesian. Whats the difference?

I played a RG7321 today at GC. It was the indo model. Then I went and bought one off of craigslist locally for $200. Then I noticed the model I have is Korean. Is there a difference in materials or components? I can't really notice anything. Both guitars play nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Re: RG7321 Korean vs. Indonesian. Whats the difference?

There is none. Arguably the QC is worse off on the Indonesian models - but I've yet to see an example of this with my own eyes. I'm still happy I've got a korean one.

Last edited by Roland; 09-05-2007 at 07:04 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: RG7321 Korean vs. Indonesian. Whats the difference?

I will argue that Indo models have nice a feel and build, but not as good of paint. On the RG2ex2 (??The white one with black fake binding on GC.com RG1ex2 RG2ex1??)the fake binding stripe is fuzzy and not a solid line. However, on this model (all black) that is sort of hard to screw up.

In general I think that the Korean and Indo models are pretty same except the finish. I notice an overall improvement in attention to detail with the Japanese models.

...Not that I am trying to argue. I am just making broad generalizations.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Reviews: 12

not quite sure on the Korean 7321 but I've played the Indonesian model at GC a while ago and noticed the binding and walnut (or bubinga) reinforcement strips on the neck.

Reg
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Fretboard binding and maple/walnut 5-piece necks are on the Korean RG7321's as well.
Brando - I was referring to the Korean vs Indonesian-differences on the RG7321 alone. I don't know about other models.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

No problem Roland. I asked a specific question then widened it as broad as possible in my second statement.

I can't tell the models apart. I guess they make a Japanese version as well? At least that is what the internet says.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Dee

I read somewhere that the Indo 7321 doesn't have real binding, it's painted on. How true this is, I have no idea. I'd go for a Korean one anyway, if I was looking to buy.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I read somewhere that the Indo 7321 doesn't have real binding, it's painted on. How true this is, I have no idea. I'd go for a Korean one anyway, if I was looking to buy.
I read that too, but im pretty sure the Indo 7321 i played had real binding (at least im pretty sure it was Indonesian, wad definately real binding).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando Clean View Post
I guess they make a Japanese version as well? At least that is what the internet says.
Those would be the RG7421 and RG7621 respectively - both out of production. Differences between those and the RG7321 are pretty much miniscule. The 7621 has triangular pickup-tabs, and I think that it also had a three-piece maple/bubinga neck rather than a five-piece maple/walnut. Completely unsure of that one, though.
As expected, the QC is said to be much better on the japanese models.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: RG7321 Korean vs. Indonesian. Whats the difference?

Congrats on the purchase Brando, how about some pics?

Jimmy
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Those would be the RG7421 and RG7621 respectively - both out of production. Differences between those and the RG7321 are pretty much miniscule. The 7621 has triangular pickup-tabs, and I think that it also had a three-piece maple/bubinga neck rather than a five-piece maple/walnut. Completely unsure of that one, though.
As expected, the QC is said to be much better on the japanese models.
The differences are: the Japanese models had Wizard 7 necks, better pickups, electronics, hardware, and of course better build quality (fret finishing, paintwork, etc). 7620 had Lo-Pro Edge. 7621 had a fixed bridge.

The 7321 has lower quality hardware, and a Wizard II neck.

I think the differences are pretty major rather than minuscule.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Miniscule in practice. Talk all you want about the Grover-tuners - the standards on the RG7321 do the job more than well. The stock pickups are a tad better - but in the end will probably more than likely end up being ripped out just as well as the 7321-stocks. Electronics - you lost me there. You're talking about wiring and stuff there?
As far as the neck goes - it's a onepiece maple as far as I can tell. As far as neckshape goes - I've played an RG1527 which had a Wizard-7. The difference between the two is tiny - apart from being a tad slicker on the low-end, there's no reason to get a mint indonesian RG7321 over a bashed-up korean RG7-whatever. This goes more on a case-by-case-basis than anything else.

Still ends up being a miniscule difference in practice. The major selling-point is the QC. The solution is just to thoroughly inspect the alternatives if possible.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I'll post pics later

This guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=103382115

Has fake binding around the body. The neck binding is real just like on the RG321. It is pretty nice binding for a guitar in its price range.

I like them all.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Dee

Quote:
Miniscule in practice. Talk all you want about the Grover-tuners - the standards on the RG7321 do the job more than well. The stock pickups are a tad better - but in the end will probably more than likely end up being ripped out just as well as the 7321-stocks. Electronics - you lost me there. You're talking about wiring and stuff there?
As far as the neck goes - it's a onepiece maple as far as I can tell. As far as neckshape goes - I've played an RG1527 which had a Wizard-7. The difference between the two is tiny - apart from being a tad slicker on the low-end, there's no reason to get a mint indonesian RG7321 over a bashed-up korean RG7-whatever. This goes more on a case-by-case-basis than anything else.

Still ends up being a miniscule difference in practice. The major selling-point is the QC. The solution is just to thoroughly inspect the alternatives if possible.
First of all, they are Gotoh tuners, not Grover.

The 7620/1 had Dimarzio Blaze pickups, as far as I know. I'm not sure of the model but quite a few people I know didn't replace them. Regardless, the pickups on the Japanese models are better, whichever way you slice it.

As for wiring, yes, I'm talking about the quality of the solder work and the electronics themselves. On cheaper guitars the wiring can be good or it can be terrible. Pots and switches are cheaper. Sometimes they are not shielded too well, and so on. Hardware on the 7321 is apparently very soft. The saddles start breaking strings, and so they tend to get replaced with GraphTech ones or similar.

The RG74xx and RG76xx guitars had Wizard 7 necks which was based on the original Wizard (before Prestige). The RG1527 has a Wizard Prestige 7 neck which is thicker than that found on it's predecessors. There is a difference to both profiles, and comparing the 1527 neck to the Wizard II neck on the RG7321 will be less of a difference than comparing the Wizard II to the Wizard 7.

The 7321 is a pretty good 7 string. The 762x are amazing 7's. The 742x are good apart from the Lo-TRS bridge on the 7620. All of them can be found in good condition for not much more than the price of a brand new Indonesian 7321.

This discussion is very much like comparing the RG770 to an RG370 or something.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
There is none. Arguably the QC is worse off on the Indonesian models - but I've yet to see an example of this with my own eyes. I'm still happy I've got a korean one.
Ditto.

Tags
blaze pickups , bubinga neck , dimarzio blaze , fixed bridge , gotoh tuners , neck binding , pro edge , trs bridge , wizard prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode