RG750 - Is it worth it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

RG750 - Is it worth it?

The local guitar shop has a used RG750.. It's in very nice shape and looks like it was treated with a lot of care by it's previous owner..
The problem is, I know nothing about these things!
Can anyone let me know if these guitars are any good?
What type of trem, neck and pickups does it have..

Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 09:07 PM

RG750

Features depend on what year it is.. When the Lo Pro Edge came out, they added it to the 7xx series...

Mostly, a RG750 is like an upgraded RG550: IBZ USA pickups(made by Dimarzio), Original Edge(up till about 90), bound neck and headstock, sharktooth inlay, Wizard neck, Basswood body..

I have an '88 RG750(back in the Edge era):

Though it's been modded a bit(pickguard, Dimarzio Breeds, lack of singlecoil and tone control, etc.).. :biggrin:

This is my #1, my favorite guitar.. Would I buy another, YES!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 09:36 PM

RG750

Too....much....G.A.S.!!!!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

RG750

toshiro.. that is sweet..!

I had the guy at the local guitar shop hold the guitar for me until I had a chance to really look it over... It's pretty much mint, but it all comes down to feel.. I have a few Ibanez guitars and I haven't been let down yet..

How are those Breed pickups? They have a set for sale but other then Vai, I haven't heard what they sound like.. And one can never go by what Steve sounds like because he's from another planet!!!

Thanks for all the info...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:05 AM

RG750

Thanks, what color is the one you're looking at buying? I've been looking for a white one, to make my ideal version of a 7VWH.. :biggrin:

The Breeds are really midrangy, big and fat.. Like a way overwound PAF, with all the boost in the mids.. I like them a lot, but some would call them muddy..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

RG750

The one I'm looking at is black.. All black.. I think it would look good with a mirror pickguard.. It's in amazing shape for an older guitar.. And I just dumped my Charvel on the guy to help pay for it..

I have an RG570 with Evolutions in it and I love it.. So I thought about maybe going with Breed's in the RG750.. I like muddy Korn-like tones...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 09:56 PM

RG750

I've got a stock '88 RG750 that I also got from a pawn shop about 6 yrs ago.
It's the best playing, best sounding guitar of the 3 main electrics I use.
What's the guy asking for it?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:22 PM

RG750

Okay, Screamin gets the 'coolest guy of the year' award from me, for playing his RG750 on stage with a 7VWH at backup position.. :biggrin:

I remember drooling on my 750 the first time I saw it, NM+ in the case, at a pawn shop in 94.. She was all black and grey back then too, I snatched her up instantly..

Black with a miror guard would be bad-ass, or a colored mirror, or white pearl(I'm a customizing fool).. If I ever see a Mint+ RG750 in white, with little or no fade, I'd probably sell my 7 string to buy it..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

RG750

With the Charvel as a trade-in, it's going to cost me $300 Canadian.. Which includes the original case and the guitar is going to be cleaned and setup by the shop owners in-house tech guy...
It just looks like to good of a deal to pass on, and my Charvel is pretty much trash as it is.. The thing is falling apart!!
I like the idea of not having a middle pickup.. I wonder if I can find a mirror pickguard without the middle pickup slot so I can just leave it out...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 05:05 AM

RG750

I got that pickguard from 'Jeannie Pickguards' (http://home.attbi.com/~pickguards/).. I'm pretty sure he has mirror guards, and the quality is great..

300CND is about $200USD, right? So if you're getting about $100-150 trade in from the Charvel, give or take, that sounds like a good deal.. I can't remember what I paid for mine, somewhere around $200-300 I think, but that was during the Nirvana era, when you could barely give a shred guitar away.. The pawn guy was just happy to get it out the door..

I've seen a couple go for over $400 on Ebay, when I first started looking on there.. That was sort of a surprise to me, at the time..

(Edited by toshiro at 5:07 am on Feb. 7, 2002)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
RG750

To me the RG700 series is one of the best kept 'non secret' secrets in the guitar world I'd like to pickup a couple more at some time, my favourites are the RG770DX and the RG750, I guess I just like the feel of a pickguard
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 05:24 PM

RG750

I also own a few 770's.Add dimarzio's and you have an instant shred machine.The pgm 100 is pretty much a dressed up 770.Try to avoid banging the headstock on anything,the neck is notorious for cracking around the locking nut,but a little woodglue and your back in business.(not like anyones really into banging their guitars into things,but it happens!).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:46 AM

RG750

I recently bought a 2001 Ibanez Rg770FM (flamed maple) which is like an Ibanez JPM. I would never sell this guitar, it plays, feels and sounds awesome. Its probably not very similar to the 750 because my 770 is very new, and the 750's are quite old. My 770 is also totally different to the old 770's, both killer guitars though
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 08:49 PM

RG750

I owned a 770DX in Violet Metallic that I loved, but I had to sell it to a friend of mine because it turned out to have his initials engraved in it... He pawned it to score back in the dark days, and missed it ever after. Six years on we're clean and sober and I score it in a trade deal with a studio dude across town - I'm telling him about it on the phone and he says "check for my initials in the control cavity there" so I pull the cover and there they are and he just freaks! *I really, really liked that guitar, but I think I liked letting Cliff have it for what I had into it (well, maybe a little less ) even better...

I've got a 750 right now that I bought last summer for $200CDN... All the hardware's in great shape but the finish was pretty banged up - I think someone that didn't play kept it on a stand in a party house and it just took knocks and saw no use... I've stripped the finish and burned it up and given it about sixteen coats of satin clear - once I assemble it again, I'll have a great playing, completely f'd-up looking guitar :biggrin: I've gotta wait for the end of winter tho'...

Tags
basswood body , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , flamed maple , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez jpm , jeannie pickguards , killer guitar , local guitar shop , locking nut , pro edge , sharktooth inlay , shred machine , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode