RG7620- EMG 707s IN A 7620 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

RG7620- EMG 707s IN A 7620

I am getting a RG7620. re the pickups on there allready good, or do EMG 707s sound better. If you need to know, i play a mixture of Vai, Satch, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Pearl Jam. Which would do the job better DiMarzios or EMGs. help out please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 03:02 PM

pickups

Chud, calm down on your number of posts...

Seriously though, take some time to check out the search engine feature here in the site. Almost anything you can think of involving this guitar has been discussed in depth. Trust me, although I just joined the board I've been a daily visitor for the past few years. There's a ton of useful information about all three of your pickup choices in the old posts. It's definitely a good thing to see more action in the 7-string forum, though. Good luck with the RG7620.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 03:42 PM

Agreed... 38 posts in less than 48 hours is a little... enthusiastic.

Try to hang out a bit and get a feel for the place before spewing posts everywhere, particularly in dormant topics that are months old.

Use the search to see if you can find stuff before you post questions. There are probably dozens of discussions on EMG 707s and pickups in general.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 04:01 PM

Givin' me a run for my money, eh?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 04:47 AM

ello man

Any case, what'll do the job better? Depends really what you are after and what sound you like. Best thing to do is to find out what your favorite players used in terms of gear, then look at those and then decide.

707's are nice, the guitarist in my band has one singular 707 on his axe. Sounds good, but then again I like the sound of EMG's
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys and ill try to keep the posts down
I would prefer a UV1000 case because they have those locks and i'd feel safer with one of them, rather then having the gig bag i have with a small padlock on it! As for searches on the 707, what i really wanted to know was: which was better for my style of music. More of a question of: Which is better DiMarzio Custom7s or EMG 707, and i didnt see any results on compairing thoses 2 PUs. That 7620.....I'm having trouble deciding weather to have a UV7BK or a RG7420. Im going to the 7620 at the moment because it hasn't got a scrathplate (I like scratchplates but i already have a pickguard on my other guitars),it has a Lo-Pro Edge Trem and DiMarzio PUs (by the way, i dont need smart a$$ people saying that the UV7BK has DiMarzio PUs and a Lo-Pro Edge Trem because most people know that ) If you could give help i'd be greatful. Also anyone who has these guitars, could they describe the stock pickups and anyone who has 707s describe them...........There thats a long post......you wont be hearing from me very soon!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:03 PM

Locks on a case rarely do much of anything as far as security goes. It may stop somoene from monkeying around with it but typically if the guitar is away from your sight there should be someone there to insure that no one is toying with it. The big advantage of a hardshell case over a gig bag is stuff being put on top of it as well as general abuse during transpost.

An issue you may want to consider with the 707's is that you will need to route the body to fit them. Unlike standard pickups the 707's are wider and will require modifications to a guitar body in order for them to fit. Retro-fitting to any other pickups after this modification on a guitar without a scratchplate to cover the holes will show a large ugly cavern on the guitar body.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:11 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
An issue you may want to consider with the 707's is that you will need to route the body to fit them. Unlike standard pickups the 707's are wider and will require modifications to a guitar body in order for them to fit. Retro-fitting to any other pickups after this modification on a guitar without a scratchplate to cover the holes will show a large ugly cavern on the guitar body.
This is true.
Exibit A:

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah check this out

EMG :
When you were working with us on the 707, what were you looking for?

Dino :
I was looking for something that was like the 81. In particular, I was looking for that high-end crunch.
I was looking for the attack that was missing on the stock pickups. The original pickups were DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans and were really dull sounding. I was looking for the "81 sound" - the crunch that I had on my ESP.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 01:10 PM

I put a 707 in my RG7420. It was a 1000% improvement over the crappy stock p.o.s. pickup. The signal is super hot with not a lot of line noise or interference. I would say it is ideal for a good distortion sound. If you are into metal, this pickup is for you.

I used a dremel to make the pickup valley wider plus make room for the wire harness underneath the pickup. It wasn't bad. Just take your time. Or take it to a pro shop if you don't feel comfortable. Again, the difference in sound quality is amazing.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

does anyone know which pickup korn and limp bizkit use. I know they use passive...but what. I know alot of people are going to say DiMarzio PAF7 but i know its not because their customs have duncans and DiMarzio Blaze or something
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 03:00 PM

The K7 models come stock with PAF7s.

I don't know what pickups Wes had in his RGs, but he's been playing mostly PRS for the last couple of years.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:06 PM

I believe Korn now uses only the P.A.F.7s, but used to use the stock Blazes.

Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit used Blazes originally, then switched to EMG-707s (around Significant Other), and eventually to PRS 6-strings, ditching Ibanez and the 7-strings completely.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
does anyone know which pickup korn and limp bizkit use. I know they use passive...but what. I know alot of people are going to say DiMarzio PAF7 but i know its not because their customs have duncans and DiMarzio Blaze or something
I don't know which pickups they use now, but yea their older custom Ibanez guitars has seymour duncans in em.

Kim
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I remember seeing a photo of Munky and Head holding RG7620s with a Ring mounted Duncan Distortion. It was a white pickup that from the look of it was a duncan. I also have seen Wes using a natural sabre7 with 2 EMG 707s and a Peizo but it had a fixed bridge. I know Korn ise PAFs now but thats in the last 2 albums (personally not my fravorite) and im trying to get the sound of 'follow the leader' (called that because loads of rubbisg nu-metal bands came out and Korn wanted to say they starte it= Leader) Korn on the first 2 albums used a UV7BK (customized so that it had 1 green Blazer hum in bridge on a White pickguard) a UV77MC (they never used it really, Munky said he bought it of a kid in California which was signed by Steve Vai at a Jemfest or something....Munky always said he was a big Steave Vai fan) Head used a UV7PWH (customized with only 1 Blaze hum all other pickup holes were left open/nothing in them)
by 'follow the leader' they started using DiMarzio Custom/ Special7s in RG7620, they used a Duncan Distortion7 or a Duncan Invader7 in the bridge with was mounted by a Black mounting ring.

Keep coming up with pickups that other bands/guitarists use (by the way, i do know that Dino uses EMG707s although he started usiong EMG HZ7s)

Tags
blaze pickups , custom ibanez , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio paf , dino cazares , distortion pedal , duncan distortion , duncan invader , edge trem , electro harmonix , fender strat , fixed bridge , guitar body , ibanez guitars , limp bizkit , pearl jam , pro edge , pro edge trem , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , steve vai , string bass , string guitars , string pickup , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode