RG770DX question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

RG770DX question

Hi,
Can someone familiar with these guitars comment on this? I'm looking at one of these but to me the fretboard looks like it has an unusual amount of finish on it. I know the old rg550s didn't have this much finish on the fretboard and wondering if the 770dx's were any different. What do you think..is this typical for this guitar or do you think someone applied clearcoat/poly?

From the pictures it looks like there are tape marks on the binding and side of the neck, so I'm wondering if that's simply left over from a fret dressing or maybe something more (i.e. re-fret). It almost looks like someone put clear coat on the fretboard and and it dripped down the side or something (as there seems to be some discoloration. Seller doesn't believe there was a re-fret. He also believes these guitars came with a clear coat like this...similar to a strat..but this is different from my experience with other older maple board rg's like the 550. Anyway, please let me know what you think.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q.../IMG950831.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: RG770DX question

That looks to me like someone slopped a ton of clear-coat on it. Definitely not normal for an Ibanez maple neck. You can see it is built up at the bottoms of each fret and also the sloppy runs down the binding.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 PM

That doesn't look normal.

This looks like what you said, ie. whatever clear they put on top ran down the side.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I agree. Question i have to ask myself is should I i buy and try to clean it up or pass altogether. Not sure I'd ever get it right
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Thanks. I agree. Question i have to ask myself is should I i buy and try to clean it up or pass altogether. Not sure I'd ever get it right

It all depends on the price and your skills as a wood worker.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:13 PM

I have 3 RG770DX's (RR Reissue, LB 91 and VM 92) none of them have a clearcoat on the fretboard..

What a same.. those are fantastic guitars!!!

Tags
rg770dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode