RG7CT - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

RG7CT

I took my RG7CT out recently and put some new strings on her, and I almost forgot how awesome this thing is. I personally think it is the best 7 string model Ibanez ever made. I like the fact that it has a rosewood board with offset dots, and I would rather not have a piezo trem to fight with everytime you wanted to pop the trem off. It realy is just about the perfect 7 string. I like the stock pickups too, they are really warm and very well voiced for the guitar.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwBrD...94743445193791
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:18 AM

Re: RG7CT

What a beaut!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 AM

Beautiful indeed!!!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
I took my RG7CT out recently and put some new strings on her, and I almost forgot how awesome this thing is.
i was gonna PM you but you exceeded your message space amount or something

heres the pm

I want an RG8327(j custom) and i figured you could help:

Dude is that a JC- looks very much like one. but ive seen no headstock shots. if im not mistaken there was a very similar LACS model made.

If the answer to question #1 is yes then how is its neck versus the universe, RG1527, and/or the godly UV7BK (if youve played any of these)

i know the fretwork is phenomental, i mean in terms of neck flatness and shape in general etc...

i want to get an idea of what the RG8327's neck profile would be like.

thanks in advance.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 AM

Mamma mia. From spaghetti to macaroni, thats a gorgeous guitar
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayerone View Post
i was gonna PM you but you exceeded your message space amount or something

heres the pm

I want an RG8327(j custom) and i figured you could help:

Dude is that a JC- looks very much like one. but ive seen no headstock shots. if im not mistaken there was a very similar LACS model made.

If the answer to question #1 is yes then how is its neck versus the universe, RG1527, and/or the godly UV7BK (if youve played any of these)

i know the fretwork is phenomental, i mean in terms of neck flatness and shape in general etc...

i want to get an idea of what the RG8327's neck profile would be like.

thanks in advance.

PM box cleaned

Here are some pics of the neck and stuff. The neck on this one is a bubinga striped maple neck, with a volute headstock. It has a maple veneer on the back of the headstock and a Rosewood overlay on the face of the headstock that matches the fretboard. The neck is nice and fast, but it doesn't really feel like a UV becuae the neck is finished and not tsung-oiled like a UV. I really like how the big fat rosewood board sounds, it adds some excellent character to the notes.

http://groups.msn.com/RG7CT/shoebox....hoto&PhotoID=1

http://groups.msn.com/RG7CT/shoebox....hoto&PhotoID=6

http://groups.msn.com/RG7CT/shoebox....hoto&PhotoID=3

http://groups.msn.com/RG7CT/shoebox....hoto&PhotoID=4

http://groups.msn.com/RG7CT/shoebox....hoto&PhotoID=2
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:31 PM

hmm thanks but that appears to be a prestige and not a J-c.

why not get the neck redone with tung oil- it would feel so much nicer
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayerone View Post
hmm thanks but that appears to be a prestige and not a J-c.

why not get the neck redone with tung oil- it would feel so much nicer
Its branded prestige because it was intended for the market outside japan, but it was built by the same people who built the JC's and its of the same quality...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM

It makes me miss my RG7CT. I should clarify that the RG7CT is NOT made by the same group that makes the J-Custom. Rather it was a small batch produced using higher grade select woods with JC-like features. (Essentially a J-C made in the prestige assembly line -> info given to me at the time of purchase when I got mine in Japan). The fit and finish in small details like the fretword is no where near the quality of the JC's.

24 were made for the US market, but Japan also got their own small batch, also branded prestige. The one I had was purchased from Ikebe-gakki and was intended for the Japanese market. (it was then sold to Praetorian here on Jemsite and then sold to someone else on that auction site).
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Vendor

The CT's were JC in every way. They exactly match JC fit/finish/fretwork/and everything else from the era. The Texas Specials [also badged Prestige] are also JC. These are the only 2 groups of Prestige badged guitars that were JC built that I know of.
Rich is online  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The CT's were JC in every way. They exactly match JC fit/finish/fretwork/and everything else from the era. The Texas Specials [also badged Prestige] are also JC. These are the only 2 groups of Prestige badged guitars that were JC built that I know of.
According to the guy that I purchased my RG7CT from. It was a "special model" just like the other HRG models that were offered by IKEBE-Gakki (ie. a custom spec'd small batch model). The fretwork on the RG7CT was no where near as nice as my JCRG-2 which is a JC from the same year(1999-2000).

The RG7CT is a great guitar, but I personally sold mine cause I didn't feel it was up to the JC standard that my spoiled hands got used to. I should note that the RG7CT that I did own, did not have any special markings in the neck pocket or a serial number that would show that it was indeeded a JC.

Coming from a factory managerial standpoint, any custom work done is generally badged with a serial number coded using a pre-defined format. If all JC's at the time had their own serial numbers outside of the standard Fxxxxxx serial numbers, it would be an anomaly to let a product leave a custom shop without a proper JC serial number. The Japanese being sticklers for procedures probably would not have allowed a procedural anomaly for a small batch production.

Anyways, I believe the point to this thread was about how great the RG7CT was and not whether it truly was a JC or not so rather than hijack the thread I'll stop here.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Vendor

The CT's came in on the heels of the CST's and they were absolutely identical in every respect, except for the JC badging and piezo. The Texas Specials have no JC serial number but their neck pockets are stamped JC Shop. If your RG2 had better fretwork it's only because the hands that did it were better than the ones that did the others.

Point of the thread is anything RG7CT, so anything is fair game
Rich is online  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Vendor

BTW the CST's had no JC serial numbers either.
Rich is online  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 AM
Vendor

Ooops, RG2680M's, also badged Prestige but with JC serial numbers, forgot about those [and probably others]

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/ga...rg2680mdbk.jpg
Rich is online  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

The fretwork on my RG7CT is awesome, way better than any stock Jem or UV I've ever owned. The only reason it was tagged with prestige is because some of the 24 that were made were allowed for sale outside of Japan, in my opinion it is more of a JC than anything you can buy now, especialy considering it has a lo-pro.

Tags
custom shop , ebony board , headstock overlay , ikebe gakki , maple neck , neck pockets , rosewood board , scarf joint , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode