RG870SPZ Satin Black - yay or nay? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

RG870SPZ Satin Black - yay or nay?

Hi all,

An Ibanez dealer near me still has one of these for sale, I believe its a 2012 model.

Linky:

http://fivestarmusic.com.au/product/...um-black-flat/

I can get a killer deal on it as it is old stock, but I'm just wondering about the finish and how well it will hold up?

And also what the chances are of me being able to successfully remove the satin finish on the back of the neck if I choose to do so?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM

Re: RG870SPZ Satin Black - yay or nay?

Just my .02, price seems high, from what I've seen on ebay in the past few months the somewhat comparable RG920 are going for $450-$500.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 PM

Re: RG870SPZ Satin Black - yay or nay?

Flat finishes can get shiny over time where your arm rubs against it.

However, on stage, if you do live stuff there's nothing imho that looks better under the lights that black or white. Also TV Yellow, like on Noodles' Talman, is also equally as good as white.

Just in person sitting in my room or in the yard I like sunburst finishes (plain, flame, or tigerseye) better but after playing live in small to big venues over many years, they just don't look that good for some reason. The only wood finish I like for looks in a live situation may be a very washed out blond or natural ash body.

Where black is among the best for live looks, the flat doesn't have a sheen like a gloss black and it looks great. You can always see the shape of the guitar no matter how much light, or what color light, hits it. Gloss black is lean and mean and so good for live performances. I say go for it, but try to get it maybe $100 dollars cheaper or so.

Wait ausie dollars so maybe not so bad.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-18-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Tags
premium , rg870

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode