RG970xl.Anyone played it(Long scale Japanese 6string) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

RG970xl.Anyone played it(Long scale Japanese 6string)

I am hoping someone has played this guitar.The only 6string lo g scale guitar over here from Ibanez is the Rg470xl and that is no big deal.I have a regular 470 for beating on and I wont bother spending money on another one.I'd most appreciate any info on the quality and feel of the 970xl if you've been lucky enough tp play one.Here is a link to the guitar.http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_gui...x/rg970xl.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:15 PM

I haven't played that particular guitar, but I have played the LA Custom shop designed csd2: http://jemsite.com/jcustom/jpn_jc_20...d/rg6csd2.html

It is made in Japan the big difference (apart from the fact that it isn't a prestige model) are the Seymour Duncans...
I must confess I didn't like it that much (was 1300 dollars out here), but that's probably linked to the fact that I was comparing it to a pgm90Ham and a Jackson USA Soloist
I'm pretty sure you'll eventually get used to the longer neck, but I thought it just didn't feel right (you know what I mean? )
Cheers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Anders.I was not aware of this model that you played.Ibanez has alot of guitars out there right now.I have no problem iwth the scale.But I do need to know about the neck profile from people who have realy played the guitars.I would buy either onesince I like Those Duncans alot.

Anything you can tell me about your experience would be great.Otherwise I have to make a long scale from scratch.Thanks again
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 02:21 PM

Ah yes, the RG970XL. Haven't played one, but it appears to be the 6-string sister to the RG-1077XL. I assume that the two would be very similar in quality. Neither of which I've actually played, but I thought this info might help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 05:52 PM

When looking at the specs it says that the wizard xl is 18mm at the 1st fret (wizard: 17, wizard ii: 19). So it's a bit thicker, I hadn't noticed that, but it was pretty comparable in playability to the Sl-1, but nowhere near the paul gilbert model (with a wizard), but that's I guess all because the larger fret-distance, I haven't really got big hands so that bugged me a bit. I don't like 7-strings that much for the same reason. I liked the idea of the guitar a lot, it sure looked neat...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:21 PM

RG 970XL

I actually have the RG1077XL. Its a sweet guitar. It took me about a month of steady playing to get used to a 7-string. The added length in the neck took no time at all to adjust to. The notes are very tight and clear on the low B string and the sound is very full. So if muddiness is a problem on whatever model you have, as far as the 6 or 7 string is concerned, the RG970 or RG1077 models will suit your needs

Tags
custom shop , paul gilbert , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode