rga 121 or pgm 301 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

rga 121 or pgm 301

If you put a paf pro in the neck and a tone zone in the bridge of the rga would it be a better guitar than the stock pgm. Are the neck specs. the same on both models. On there site it gives the same dims. i got a price on the pgm and the rep. said the neck was different than any other model that ibanez carries. If this is true how do you put half down to order the guitar then the other have when it comes in with out knowing if you like the neck or the guitar. If you do not like it your stuck, at least you can play the rga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 AM

Re: rga 121 or pgm 301

Even with Dimarzios, it's debatable whether the RGA is better than the PGM301. They're completely different guitars. Neck dimensions are all they share with each other. The PGM is the only regular production guitar Ibanez has left that has a maple fingerboard. That's probably what the guy was talking about being special. I'll take a PGM any day of the week over the RGA, Dimarzio's or not. --Jason
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 AM

The PGM and RGA are different guitars so "better" is completely subjective. And the type of music you play would be relevant as well. The PGM has a PAF in the neck and bridge so a Tone Zone bridge and PAF neck in a RGA is going to sound different anyway. Also, since the RGA has a mahagony/maple cap body and rosewood fingerboard vs. basswood body and maple fingerboard on the PGM they are going to sound different even with the same pickups in them because the woods are different. The bridges are also different.

I think the rep might be on crack because the Ibanez Japan site shows the necks to be the same dimensions. Maybe there is someone on here who has both who can comment or maybe the Ibanez guru himself, Rich from ibanezrules.com will weigh in but I believe they are exactly the same except for the maple fingerboard on the PGM.

I don't know about the half down business you mention or who you'd be buying it from but if you buy from many internet stores they will give you 30 days to return it if you don't like it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 AM

I agree that they are two very different guitars. But even though they have the same neck profile, there is a different in the feel of the neck because the strings spacing is slightly different than the PGM since one has a traditional hardtail verses the Gibralter on the RGA. It all depends on what you want in a guitar. Personally, I would rather have an RGA than a PGM simply because I LOVE the sound of mahogany and I'm starting care for basswood less and less.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:05 AM

Yeah, I recently got the RGA121 and the tone is awesome and quite different than my basswood RG750 but having a variety of guitars that can give you different sounds is what it's all about isn't it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:26 AM

Reviews: 6

I like carved tops with recessed fixed bridges so I'd go for the RGA121 with replaced pups personally over a PGM301...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help now I need to make the choice. The place I was talking about was daddy's junkyI was told it is a custom order half down half when it comes in. You don,t like it tough you own it (not in those exact words).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM

I wouldn't consider that a "custom order" for an Ibanez dealer (depending where you are) just buy it from one of the online stores and you've got 30 days to check it out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:50 PM

hmm i own a pgm myself, ill say if you love to mess around wit whammy bar, ill say rga ( not sure if it has it or not ) but hey PGM kicks serious butts =)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 06:40 PM

+1 for the RGA

if you already own a basswood RG, the RGA will be a good different offering to own.

Tags
basswood body , fixed bridge , ibanez dealer , maple fingerboard , neck dimensions , paf pro , rosewood fingerboard , tone zone , tone zone bridge , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode