RGA Users Unite! - Page 7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 PM

Re: RGA Users Unite!

JJ - hose pups are my goto set on mahogany and maple topped mahogany. i have EXL110 Daddarios on it which are 10-52 i think. i'm planning on going one size heavier for the drop tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
Man, id love to get an RGA, but the bastards here dont even import them....
Rich and others might ship to you, not to mention auction stuff

where there's a will (and a little money) there's a way. good luck man.
post #93 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:41 PM

Reviews: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj0389 View Post
Alright. I hope this is the angle you're looking for.

I KNEW it! My RGA's pegs ARE tilting forward. I always felt like there wasn't very much string pressure on the saddles (you can easily lift the strings off the saddles even when the strings are tuned). Now I'm wondering if this is affecting the sustain in any way. I know it won't be affecting the action or anything else since that all depends on the hight of the whole bridge in general but wouldn't less string pressure equal less sustain?

Thanks for uploading this pic., btw
post #94 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj0389 View Post

i dig the camo 5150. it would be cool to paint an EVH stripey job using those colors from the camo.

i actually still have the parts i planned to add a front on a 5150 that resembles the clear blue like the Genz Benz Diablo head. cool stuff
post #95 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I thought about painting the tolex and the cab in camo. But, it is too "bimebag'ish". Hehe....

Going back to your string gauge, do you have to cut the low E nuts to fit the heavier gauge? The 48 barely fit in the nut.
post #96 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 01:50 AM

Well, it's official - my RGA121 is fugged! I just got it back from the repair dude for the second time (I've only had the thing for 2.5 weeks before having to send it to the tech. twice) and he physically shaved down the frets starting at the 12th and the sustain still dies a horrible death anywhere around the 12th fret and higher. Plus, as I've recently found out the bridge's pegs are tilted forward.

I will try to see if I can exchange it for a new RGA (not bloody likely considering it's been physically altered in more than one way) but if not I'm stuck with a thousand dollar guitar that can't hold a note to save its life (in the upper scale).
post #97 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 04:29 PM

how good do the rga's stay in tune? I am assuming that they DONT have locking machine heads.. every guitar i have ever played without a lock nut or locking machine heads goes out of tune when i do bends ( besides the old strats. ).. how is the rga set up
post #98 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 AM

Hi, I'm new to the club, I've just bought a used RGA 121 in e b a y and I'm just exited about it, she has a few upgrades: the RS Guitarworks kit installed, a Seymour Duncan 59 Neck, and a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man Bridge. She will be sent next monday, and I'll get she in 15 about days.
post #99 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

I have big hands, and i like to do alot of heavy bending, and my RGA stays in tune perfectly, as long as your strings are properly seated, the RGA's are extremely stable. The Graphite nuts help out a bit i'm sure though.
post #100 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 AM

^Are you sure those nuts are graphite? I have a Graphtech nut that I slapped on my RGA and if you take both and drop them onto a hard surface you can clearly here the metal cling and ping of graphite with the Graphtech nut while the original RGA nut just sounds like any ol' piece of plastic. None the less the original nuts are as good as they need to be.

And to answer the original question: Yes, the guitar stays in tune really well. It uses high quality tuners. They may not be locking but they are as good as you can get for non-locking.
post #101 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
how good do the rga's stay in tune? I am assuming that they DONT have locking machine heads.. every guitar i have ever played without a lock nut or locking machine heads goes out of tune when i do bends ( besides the old strats. ).. how is the rga set up
They stay in tune reasonably well, to be honest the nut on mine is crap, so there's quite a bit of sticking, and the intonation is pants, but it's nothing a nut change and setup won't fix.
post #102 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:57 PM

^Yeah, I changed the nut specifically because it was binding when tuning. Then again a sticky nut could in theory make the strings stay in tune better. The intonation on mine was crap when I first got the guitar but a setup solved that easily.
post #103 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM

Yeah, my VLF goes out of tune sometimes.
So I'm gonna try getting some Gotoh locking tuners. I can't seem to find a distributer though. I'll have to order them from the US or Europe cos NO-ONE stokes them in South Africa and as I said earlier or in another thread, I don't want to have to cut the holes in the headstock bigger.

Anyone got any other suggestions? (for locking tuners that is)
post #104 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM

Sup Ibbies

I really need to know which Locking machine heads will not need the holes in the headstock made bigger.

Specific models would be best, please.

However, if you only know the diameter of the holes, that would be extremely valuable indeed.

Cheers

Last edited by #1son; 05-07-2007 at 11:42 AM.
post #105 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Have you ever tried looking at the Gotoh 510 locking tuners? Seeing that Gotoh makes the tuners for the RGA's I'm pretty sure their locking tuners will retrofit with no problem (I really doubt they're stupid enough to use a different mold for their locking tuners)

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , alternate picking , basswood guitar , breed bridge , bridge position , chris broderick , cosmo hardware , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge bridge , emg active , evolution neck , fixed bridge , flame maple , fret buzz , gauge strings , genz benz , gotoh tuners , graphite nut , guage strings , high frets , ibanez pickups , ikebe gakki , jumbo frets , killer guitar , lock nut , locking tuners , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , norton neck , paf joe , paf pro , pickup combination , pickup selection , playing guitar , sam ash , seymour duncan , shred machine , stevie ray , strap lock , strap locks , strat style , tone zone , tone zone bridge , volume knobs , zakk wylde , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

john petrucci's when dream and day unite rig

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode