RGA121 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
RGA121

Jammed on one yesterday... whats the big deal with these guitars? playability wasnt that great, and the pickups sounded awful. Tone being subjective, they were really really muddy. The shape was cool, but the neck wasnt anything special either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: RGA121

I like them on spec. I haven't played one yet, though. I've played the cheaper Indo versions and they were really good. I don't know why Ibanez 86ed the Prestige fixed bridge version. Guess they weren't selling well.
I like the RGA321 though in blue. I'd probably change out the pickups though as the V7's and V8's sound like a$$.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Jammed on one yesterday... whats the big deal with these guitars? playability wasnt that great, and the pickups sounded awful. Tone being subjective, they were really really muddy. The shape was cool, but the neck wasnt anything special either.
Maybe you found a bad one. I dunno, mines sweeeet. You are right about the pickups though. Common theory seems to be that most people will replace them anyway, so the v7/v8 is good enough to get started.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM

I think the first line of RGA121 that came out, the VLF & NTF colors, are some of the best stuff Ibanez ever made. Fantastic instruments. I got myself 3 of them ASAP.

I have played the others colors too but never owned any of them.

The necks are normal RG stuff, noting different, really.
The pickups too.

I would say that it hard to like RG if you dislike RGA.
I mean, it is a RG with an arch top.

/Magnus
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

To be fair, of all the prestiges I've played, I've disliked all of them besides the 3000sgood for some reason.

Not sure why, but it didn't play well, it didn't sound good, and the neck wasn't inspiring. The red/pink glitter finish was freaking awesome though. This is all subjective of course, keep that in mind.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
To be fair, of all the prestiges I've played, I've disliked all of them besides the 3000sgood for some reason.

Not sure why, but it didn't play well, it didn't sound good, and the neck wasn't inspiring. The red/pink glitter finish was freaking awesome though. This is all subjective of course, keep that in mind.
I understand, not all things are for everyone.
Maybe your just not a Prestige kind of guy? :-)

I have liked almost all prestige I ever played (and that is hundreds of them).
I most of the time when I do clinic can just take a brand new out of the box, raise the action (a lot, if I have the time), tune and do the show with it.
They all feel more or less like home.

I do like some more than others, but that is more down to that some specific guitars are better than others (of the same model).

/Magnus
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 2

I like the 121 for the potential that it has....they can be found for very good prices, and with a simple pup swap and some TLC on the neck they can be amazing guitars. I want one to use as a lower output, "chicken pick'n" guitar as opposed to my higher output "shredder" RG's. I think the natural flat 121 is a classy looking guitar.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM

absolutely loved it. i wish i had the money for it when i played it. i love the wizard prestige neck, i love the natural finish and i love that it had a mahogany body (darker tone, therefore great for another X2N)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Huge fan of the RGAs here; I personally think the design is one of, if not Ibanez' classiest...alas, another great that they discontinued.

You get Les Paulish heft, with a Wizard Prestige neck, so it's kind of the best of all worlds in a lot of ways...at least if you're into the fixed bridge thing.

I added a 321Spb to my RGA collection this past weekend (NGD photos soon enough), already had one of the 321fbx, and one each of the 121s in NTF and VLF finishes. The ruby sparkle one is just not me.

The one drawback is definitely the Dimarzio IBZs that they come with. They're decent, but man, put a Suhr Aldrich in these guitars and it's like manna from heaven.

Now.... if I could just get Ibanez to make me that J-custom neck through version...with a one piece 5A quilt top.... in transparent natural nitro cellulose finish....and an ebony fretboard... with American Master style block inlays....and a piezo bridge...so I guess we're talking about a JCRGAT1xNTF here.....ooooh....pardon me, I need to excuse myself
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 PM

The bridge feels a lot different, kinda weird to palm mute sometimes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode