RGA121, Clean/Sparkly Tones? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

RGA121, Clean/Sparkly Tones?

Alright guys, sorry if this is spam, but I need help FAST!!!!!!!!!

I've been offered a KILLER deal on an RGA121. I've heard GREAT things about how these guitars feel, play, look etc. But I'm concerned of the actual tone it's body wood produces!

I'm leaning towards a rock tone, not quite metal/brutalness. Think Paul Gilbert's current tone versus like Zakk Wylde. But sparkly, clean tones are REALLY important to me!

Basically, I'm wondering if with the 5 way switch on this guitar and pickup change (medium/vintage output Air Classic/PAF 36th), can I get a sparkly tone like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PdCbQff34

Or is the thick maple cap/mahogany construction going to be too thick/too bright? That's another thing, I've heard this guitar is VERY, VERY BRIGHT, but I can't tell if people are just basing that off the V7/V8 pups!

Please help soon! I really, really need advice! And no, I can't try the guitar out first haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM

Re: RGA121, Clean/Sparkly Tones?

can't listen to the clip, sorry, i am at work
rga guitar will do "sisters" / "boy from seattle" (both Steve Vai) kind of tones rather easily
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM

RGA's play beautifully. One of the best playing guitars Ibanez has ever built IMO. However with stock pickups sound like ****. Throw some Dimarzios or even better BKP's and you will have an amazig instrument.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM

RGA121 clean stock pick ups (sample)

Tags
clean , pickups , rga121 , tone , wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode